The Voynich Ninja
Change point analysis of the VM text - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Change point analysis of the VM text (/thread-3110.html)

Change point analysis of the VM text - davidjackson - 21-02-2020

Nothing to do with me, but I just came across this interesting computational analysis on the text. I'm still re-reading and digesting it. The authors wax a little ...lyrical at times.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Quote:The statistical properties that we have uncovered in the Voynich Manuscript over the past four posts reveal something of its inner structure. It supports, but cannot prove, that the Manuscript is not a hoax, and that it the text is most likely drawn from some natural language.
The changepoint analyses in this post are a powerful tool for identifying evolution and mutation in data, and the demonstrated example of stylometric analysis to Martorel’s Tirant lo Blanc support their use in revealing points of fracture in texts, without reference to the source language.
With specific relevant to the Voynich Manuscript, both the word frequency changepoint and the topic model changepoint suggest that the manscript’s contents shift significantly at some point around Folios 30 to 40. Given the previous assignment of topics based on manual identification of images accompanying the text, this presents a new avenue of investigation for Voynich researchers.

(emphasis mine)

RE: Change point analysis of the VM text - voynichbombe - 23-02-2020

(21-02-2020, 10:04 PM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The authors wax a little ...lyrical at times.

Hey, what without a good narrative? 
I find it pretty well written, actually, easing the wrap-your-head-around part. 
It pays to also read the prior four posts. Highly interesting, this research opens many pathways. I hope it continues, as outlined.

RE: Change point analysis of the VM text - Anton - 27-02-2020

(21-02-2020, 10:04 PM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.suggest that the manscript’s contents shift significantly at some point around Folios 30 to 40.

That's where the Currier B begins to appear. Did they spot on that?

RE: Change point analysis of the VM text - -JKP- - 27-02-2020

(27-02-2020, 05:47 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(21-02-2020, 10:04 PM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.suggest that the manscript’s contents shift significantly at some point around Folios 30 to 40.

That's what I was thinking too. I haven't read the papers (and can't find time to do it right now) but were they aware of Curriers A and B when they wrote it?

RE: Change point analysis of the VM text - RenegadeHealer - 27-02-2020

(27-02-2020, 06:06 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(27-02-2020, 05:47 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

That's what I was thinking too. I haven't read the papers (and can't find time to do it right now) but were they aware of Curriers A and B when they wrote it?

Yes, the author makes reference to the Currier languages, at least in the other blog posts of which the paper that david linked is one in a series. He did not belabor the point of connection with Currier's analysis. I got the sense that he did not perform the statistical analyses he did with Currier ever in mind, or with the primary objective of corroborating Currier's findings, even if that's what he ended up doing.