The Voynich Ninja
Text parsing and BITRANS - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Text parsing and BITRANS (/thread-3013.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Text parsing and BITRANS - ReneZ - 10-12-2019

Let's also keep in mind that daiin is the most frequent word in the Voynich text.
It is not very likely that 'totis' is the most frequent word in any Latin plain text.

In one of my not very serious hypotheses, the word daiin could be mapped to Chinese 'ta1'.

Now this could be  or    or 
[font=Arial]which mean 'he', 'she' or 'it' respectively.[/font]
[font=Arial]This is the sort of word that one could expect as the most frequent one in a text.[/font]

[font=Arial]But no, I don't believe this at all.[/font]

RE: Text parsing and BITRANS - Stephen Carlson - 10-12-2019

(10-12-2019, 09:29 AM)DONJCH Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(10-12-2019, 09:03 AM)Stephen Carlson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.It's hard to imagine a context that makes this phrase make sense.

Oh I don't know, as part of a recipe, maybe.
Depending on what came before.
Appeal to (lack of) imagination always has its risks.

RE: Text parsing and BITRANS - Aga Tentakulus - 10-12-2019

I know the Google translator isn't the best choice. Consider the example from 2012.
It's not just a feeling, it's based on reflection and testing.
Google gives me the opportunity to display words in sequence, but I always check if it matches with other translators.
Example:

It's always based on the word "taurus."

RE: Text parsing and BITRANS - nablator - 10-12-2019

(07-12-2019, 12:57 PM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.BITRANS then allows to use these rules back and forth.

It also allows to define context-dependent rules, for example at start of words or end of words.

Now this tool seems lost, but I have been making good progress with a revival implementation. It does not allow multi-pass parsing, but it does support most other features that I used to find important.

What's wrong with regex replacement? It's already implemented in many languages, no need to do anything.

RE: Text parsing and BITRANS - ReneZ - 10-12-2019

It's a bit a matter of taste.

The things that are taken care of by tools like (i)vtt and bitrans are what I consider pre-processing.
(It's nice that they work well together).

If one prefers to write code (scripts, interpreted code, compiled code) one can certainly do these things with modern tools that were not in existence when bitrans was written. However, one should not have to worry about the same problem in several different tools, so the pre-processing idea is more modular.

Of course "regexp" existed in the 1990's, but bitrans does a couple of extra things. I'm admittedly a 'dinosaur', but I am not that sure that modern regexp tools can delimit text areas such that they should not be affected.

RE: Text parsing and BITRANS - Stephen Carlson - 10-12-2019

(10-12-2019, 10:14 AM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I know the Google translator isn't the best choice. 
It isn't. It really isn't.

My German isn't great, but totus etc. to me is more like ganz than all. In fact, I'd gloss totum as (das) ganz or (den) ganzen (Akk.); totus as (der) ganz; and totis as (den) ganzen (Dat.). I don't know if that makes much sense, but then again the Latin needs context to make sense.

RE: Text parsing and BITRANS - davidjackson - 11-12-2019

Aga, while we are all interested in your work, can you please create a new thread for any suggested translations and keep you work there. That lets us peruse your work in an ordered fashion, while allowing other people to work on their own threads without distractions. Thanks.