The Voynich Ninja
f49v and the 2 in the text - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: f49v and the 2 in the text (/thread-3006.html)

f49v and the 2 in the text - Davidsch - 25-11-2019

I was looking at something else and noticed that on the page You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. there is a clear 2 (two).

Undoubtedly it has been noticed before by others, but I can not remember any discussion on it.

This 2, seems not a coincidence, because it is not only in the margin, it is also clearly in the text, on the 4th line from below.

I am very interested in your expert opinions (those who already have a solution on the text), explanations (those who already know that the text is a hoax or not), suggestions, other occurrences, etc.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: f49v and the 2 in the text - RobGea - 25-11-2019

Interesting that the first 6 glyphs in the column of glyphs are repeated twice more-if one counts the 3rd glyph down as equivalent to the '2'.
Line 3?, 11 and 18
It also curious that there are exactly 26 lines of text.

RE: f49v and the 2 in the text - -JKP- - 26-11-2019

Quote:I was looking at something else and noticed that on the page You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. there is a clear 2 (two).

That shape occurs in quite a few places... in the starred-text folios at the end, as well. Also sometimes at the beginnings of lines.

I think it might be a mistake to call it a "2". For the one lower on the folio, the bottom tail curves down too much for the way they wrote two and it is out of proportion (a bit too large relative to the other characters) and the upper curve is larger than was usual for the time.

Most of the time, when I encounter it in the VMS, it is more similar to r than it is to "2" in the sense that it is a stem with a tail, and the slight curve to the stem might be a variation on r or it might be the same glyph but written a little more curvy. The one You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. line 11 is unusual—compared to the other places it shows up in the VMS, it does look like a 2, it leans at a different angle, but I have seen abbreviation symbols in early- and mid-medieval manuscripts that look just like "2" and sometimes they lean back and sometimes they lean less (so they look more like r), but they mean the same thing.

So, it's possible it's based on the shape for an abbreviation symbol, rather than the shape for a number. Or it's possible the one higher on the folio is something different from the one we see down lower. We probably shouldn't try to classify it too soon.

RE: f49v and the 2 in the text - Aga Tentakulus - 27-11-2019

This is a very interesting sign. It fits into the system and is easy to play with.
Since I also have German text in the VM, I could look for a connection.
If I accept the typical German endings, ( N = upper hook ) an, en, un, on, in.
Can this also be brought into Latin. Here it is mostly ( T = upper hook ). et, at, it, ot, ut,
With some work, you get interesting results.

RE: f49v and the 2 in the text - Aga Tentakulus - 27-11-2019

And why does he do a correction when it's not important?

RE: f49v and the 2 in the text - -JKP- - 28-11-2019

Aga, it's quite easy to take individual tokens and small sections of text and turn them into words. It can be done in many languages.

But if the system doesn't work on the tokens before and after... and if the letter-frequency is very different from whatever language you are using, then it might simply be a coincidence that some of the letters match words. You have to do it with a larger chunk of text to see if it actually works.

RE: f49v and the 2 in the text - Aga Tentakulus - 28-11-2019

@JKP
I'm sure you're right. It would be stupid to put a theory on just 3 characters.
I don't know the VM since yesterday, and have learned a lot during the years. But I think it's the wrong place to go into it.
I will probably continue under encryption techniques.
Or maybe I should introduce myself first.