The Voynich Ninja
Transliteration files and formats - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Transliteration files and formats (/thread-3004.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Transliteration files and formats - -JKP- - 23-11-2019

(23-11-2019, 11:05 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(23-11-2019, 10:57 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.If it's tied to coordinates, one would want a relative system so that if the resolutions of the Beinecke scans were ever changed, it could be applied to the new scans without a lot of reworking.

Not necessarily. The new coordinates would have to be re-computed in almost all cases, and this can always be done by a piece of software.
(For example: the grouping of pages in one image may change, the margins may change).

Well, that was kind of my point. If the coordinates are relative to certain key points on the folio (the ones least likely to change), then remapping can be done (by software) quite readily regardless of potential changes in scan resolutions, size, margins, etc.

RE: Transliteration files and formats - Aga Tentakulus - 03-09-2020

I slowly read through the individual topics, and I came across this.
question:
Is it not dangerous for the system that you use 2x the small "s". Wouldn't it make more sense to use "Sy" and "sh"? Without a picture it is hard to see, and would the PC understand this?

By the way, the marking "blue".
Actually the right word belongs to the text on the left. The meaning of the distance. The topic is continued elsewhere.
In German books I have seen this often. But I don't know if this is also the case in the Latin, or French spelling.

Translated with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (free version)

RE: Transliteration files and formats - ReneZ - 03-09-2020

Hello Aga,

the s/sh issue was already discussed quite a lot, very recently.

The other point: one has to indicate one way or another that there is a large gap and that the  final word is right-justified.

This is done with the code '=Pt' in the label.
The = means that this text is on the same line as the previous entry.
The P means that it is normal paragraph text.
The combination 'Pt' means that it is a so-called 'title' as defined You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

One can quickly find all examples of this in the MS by doing a search for this code (or using You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ).

I don't know any book where the title comes at the end.
Based on the books I have read ( German ), it is a reference. (Topic is continued elsewhere. It continues somewhere else.) This is not specifically VM.
Who is John Grove anyway, and why should I believe what he writes. I have not found anything that would convince me.
It is reasonable for you to give Rene a note. But not necessarily from what I know.

Translated with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (free version)

Certainly not simply to make a complete transcription.
I have worked with Stolfi-System.
It's as if he wanted to sell me an f and t as an l.    "f t l"
They look almost the same.

RE: Transliteration files and formats - nablator - 03-09-2020

(03-09-2020, 11:51 AM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Actually the right word belongs to the text on the left. The meaning of the distance. The topic is continued elsewhere.

In German books I have seen this often. But I don't know if this is also the case in the Latin, or French spelling.

I don't remember seeing this in Latin or French manuscripts. Sometimes titles are squeezed between paragraphs on the right or in the margin, to save a little vertical space, but this is a different situation. Other books often get mentioned by name/author. What do you mean by "elsewhere"? Another book? Please, can you show us an example in a German ms.?

RE: Transliteration files and formats - ReneZ - 03-09-2020

In any case, the most important aspect is that there is a format that:
- allows to represent all existing transliterations
- has a clearly defined format
- comes with a tool that allows to read and convert it.

It should allow better collaboration and exchange of processing tools in case people want to do this.

@Rene
I completely agree with you.
I have tried something similar with the Stolfi application. After a few pages I realised that it does not work like that. With so many corrections and adjustments the keyboard is not enough.
I still think about how to display it best without using an ASCII code.

I am tempted to show special features. Example:
P, *P , "P, °P   etc. To the existing variants.

In the system analysis a single character becomes a combination.

Prof. Dr. Rainer Hannig uses the combination " *P " as a separate single character for his Hebrew application. This way, a B can of course be quickly turned into an H. Possible, but it is against the rules.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]     [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]One should put characters in different families. This makes connections more visible.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Example:[/font][/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]    
[/font]
[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]@Rene
[/font]

You may not remember, but we have already talked about this at Bax in 2015.
Gimmicks like that make a system look like this.
If there is a system, pure nonsense as text is unlikely.

So for me the text already makes sense.
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]That is why a correct transcription is so important.[/font]

@nablator
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]It is not rare to find it in German books.[/font]You can only understand it when you read the book.
Sometimes the text continues on the next page, sometimes not.
But as I have understood it through many a book, it is a hint that the topic is continued elsewhere.
Interesting that there is no such thing in Latin, or French, or other written books. Is this known to anyone else ?
Example: Pharmacopoeia 1463

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Translated with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (free version)[/font]

RE: Transliteration files and formats - nablator - 03-09-2020

(03-09-2020, 09:31 PM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.@nablator
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]It is not rare to find it in German books.[/font]You can only understand it when you read the book.
Sometimes the text continues on the next page, sometimes not.
But as I have understood it through many a book, it is a hint that the topic is continued elsewhere.
Interesting that there is no such thing in Latin, or French, or other written books. Is this known to anyone else ?
Example: Pharmacopoeia 1463

Aren't these catchwords, at the bottom of the page? If not I don't know. If they don't match the next page, it could be because pages are missing or the binding is wrong.

They are common in other languages too.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

In the VMS they are not the last words of the page.

@nablator
Basically you are right.
Some are at the bottom of the text, even if the page is not finished. But at the end of the text.
2 are below the text and the page is full.
I know that there are also several on one page. Same as in VM. I know that they are there, but I will not look for them now.
If I come across it again, I will keep it and also the cross references.