The Voynich Ninja
Medieval sirens and mermaids - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Medieval sirens and mermaids (/thread-2970.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Medieval sirens and mermaids - davidjackson - 16-10-2019

(not that I'm arguing for a purely Christian interpretation. The same paradigm can exist for many ways of thought - the hierarchy could be just about anything. Levels within a guild, a non Christian religion, etc)

RE: Medieval sirens and mermaids - Koen G - 16-10-2019

(16-10-2019, 03:27 PM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Bob Christians were considered by many to be as 'the beasts of the field'
Right, Dave Christians were far superior  Tongue

I understand now what you mean, more like spiritual progress. It is something that seems to fit the page to some extent. 

On the other hand, the structure of an aquatic base towards a cloudy top is found in other pages as well.

(16-10-2019, 03:50 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Right, Dave Christians were far superior  Tongue
As I have often argued!!! Tongue  Should have been "not Christians".
Sorry, auto correct. Been in a desperate rush all week and posting from my phone. But you get what I mean. I'll delve further into the argument later on when I get some more time.
But I think all of those pages are a) interconnected between themselves (they are all one topic, whatever that may be - which is why images run into each other across pages) and b) interconnected within pages (so you can't argue one interpretation for the pond with animals without taking the women at the top of the stream into account).

RE: Medieval sirens and mermaids - Searcher - 16-10-2019

(16-10-2019, 03:16 PM)RobGea Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.2. Nymph with ring : Ring symbolizes  Royalty, Kingship ( possibly angelic?)

Hi! Why she is depicted lying with the ring?

Because she is receiving the wisdom (spiritual infusion, whatever) from above, as depicted by the water.
You could (this is entirely off the cuff) work up a theory where the woman with the ring (abbess? leader?) is above the woman with the ring (royalty?) in the spiritual awareness rankings, and so Royalty is under the Abbess, receiving the wisdom which pours down upon her. (Insert noun of preference here).

(16-10-2019, 07:09 PM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Because she is receiving the wisdom (spiritual infusion, whatever) from above, as depicted by the water.
You could (this is entirely off the cuff) work up a theory where the woman with the ring (abbess? leader?) is above the woman with the ring (royalty?) in the spiritual awareness rankings, and so Royalty is under the Abbess, receiving the wisdom which pours down upon her. (Insert noun of preference here).

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. shows nymphs descending from the "umbrella" down to the pools. Is it degradation?

RE: Medieval sirens and mermaids - bi3mw - 16-10-2019

@Searcher: @VViews has pointed in his post to the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. of Ellie Velinska. The second woman from above  is expecting the last judgement. In my opinion this view is a coherent explanation. Why she wears a ring remains unclear.
In this theory, of course, the lower nymph would have to be swallowed by the fish. One can doubt that.

RE: Medieval sirens and mermaids - Monica Yokubinas - 16-10-2019

The usage of the vaginal ring or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. dates back to ancient Egypt, for a vaginal prolapse. Most of the animals depicted were thought to aid in birth control as well, like You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and other nasty stuff. Oh to be a man in medieval times.  Tongue

(16-10-2019, 07:26 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.@Searcher: @VViews has pointed in his post to the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. of Ellie Velinska. The second woman from above  is expecting the last judgement. In my opinion this view is a coherent explanation. Why she wears a ring remains unclear.
In this theory, of course, the lower nymph would have to be swallowed by the fish. One can doubt that.

Bi3mw, it is clear! I don't have questions to Ellie's explanation. I asked in the other context mentioned by RobGea.

Added P. S. David answered in that context. I'm not satisfied, but can accept. It is interesting how it can be explained together with the rest..

It doesn't take a lot of imagination.

We see the water pouring from a Wolkenband, representing the ineffable, in two directions. In one direction it falls upon the elect, the woman with a Cross, who is stretching out to the cross in a position of power. She has attained the highest level.
The other direction, the water falls upon a woman with a ring who is a supine position, allowing the water to fall upon her face. This represent the aristocracy, the leaders, who despite worldly power continue to be subject to the ineffable and below the true believer (or leader, or whatever the person reaching for the cross represents).
Below, we see the normal person who reaches into the pools of wisdom (water falling from above) without being directly involved or affected by it.
And finally we see a woman clearly throwing away her skin of bestiality as she leaps into the air, granted a new life by the water of knowledge that falls upon her. Around her we see the pool of water and other proles who have yet to attain enlightenment (represented as animals) who surround or are slowly entering the pond of knowledge. Note how the animals who are entering the water are starting to cavort as they realise where they are.

Yes, the theory may be completely wrong, but I challenge anyone to come up with a simpler one that explains the whole image.