The Voynich Ninja
[Book] Voynichese a Morse Code Cipher? (new book) - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Book] Voynichese a Morse Code Cipher? (new book) (/thread-2955.html)

Pages: 1 2

Voynichese a Morse Code Cipher? (new book) - Gavin Güldenpfennig - 02-10-2019

Dear Voynich researchers,

the author of this book asked me to share his theory about the manuscript with you.

I don't really know, what I should think about it. For me it seems to be very unlikely, that the VMS is written in a Morse Code Cipher.

What do you think?

Mod note :no advertising or commercial endorsement on site. The book's name is Voynich Morse Code Steganography Cipher by Tom O'Neil. On sale via self publishment on amazon.

RE: Voynichese a Morse Code Cipher? (new book) - -JKP- - 02-10-2019

He's already admitted on Reddit and on Nick's blog, not long ago, that he not only uses anagrams to scoot the Morse code dots around, but he also relies on assuming random assignments (according to Tom, Wilfrid Voynich supposedly created this Morse code randomizable [one way] cipher).

In other words, you can shuffle the dots to create whichever letters you want, then generate a list, then pick whichever words off the list you think might make something close to real words.

He's presented the same basic ideas in earlier books and on the forum. This one isn't any different. It relies on subjective shuffling and interpretation.

Here's how it works:
  • convert the letters into Morse code using a substitution cipher
  • shuffle the Morse code dots around until you get letters that enable you to create a list of Italian-sounding words from which to choose
  • pick the words that go best with the picture or which seem more like phrases
  • don't worry about the bad (non-existent) grammar, Tom says Wilfrid may have intentionally scrambled the grammar to throw people off the track
There you go.

It's essentially the same as his previous "Welsh numerology" book. He changed the Welsh into Italian, and the numerology (where you add up the sum of the letters and make a list of words that match the sum and then pick the ones you want) into Morse code.

RE: Voynichese a Morse Code Cipher? (new book) - Koen G - 02-10-2019

$32.99???

This is simply criminal, especially since he keeps selling his other books about his other garbage theories as well.

RE: Voynichese a Morse Code Cipher? (new book) - Pepper - 02-10-2019

(02-10-2019, 09:24 AM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.$32.99???

This is simply criminal, especially since he keeps selling his other books about his other garbage theories as well.

If it's any consolation, the Amazon ranking would suggest it has sold one copy.

RE: Voynichese a Morse Code Cipher? (new book) - davidjackson - 02-10-2019

Optimistic, certainly, but I'm not sure it's criminal.

RE: Voynichese a Morse Code Cipher? (new book) - -JKP- - 02-10-2019

If the author knows it is BS (he calls his method a "secret sauce"), then charging money for it is, at the very least, unethical.

RE: Voynichese a Morse Code Cipher? (new book) - nablator - 02-10-2019

(02-10-2019, 08:55 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Here's how it works:
  • convert the letters into Morse code using a substitution cipher
  • shuffle the Morse code dots around until you get letters that enable you to create a list of Italian-sounding words from which to choose

The substitution to get Morse code from Voynichese is (very) homophonic, allowing a large number of combinations even without shuffling/anagramming (I haven't seen any in the recent posts on Facebook).

Just out of interest, is nobody at all curious about why the hell he chose Morse code? I mean, of all the bizarre things to arbitrarily choose.....

RE: Voynichese a Morse Code Cipher? (new book) - nablator - 02-10-2019

(02-10-2019, 07:30 PM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Just out of interest, is nobody at all curious about why the hell he chose Morse code? I mean, of all the bizarre things to arbitrarily choose.....

Maybe because, without separators between codes, the conversion to letters is ambiguous, allowing (again) a large number of interpretations... Rolleyes

Maybe he stumbled across the Wikipedia entry for Morse code and thought "Eureka"!