The Voynich Ninja
Another interesting blog post by Peter Kidd - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Another interesting blog post by Peter Kidd (/thread-2954.html)

Another interesting blog post by Peter Kidd - ReneZ - 02-10-2019

In this blog post:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

there are two interesting questions / suggestions.

The first is a potential inspiration from the Voynich MS, about two thirds down the page.
Could it be something else?

Finally, an open question at the very end, which someone here might have an idea about.

RE: Another interesting blog post by Peter Kidd - Koen G - 02-10-2019

I wonder if the image isn't rather inspired by more standard medical manuscripts. It's not that much different from your average medieval "baby in uterus" depiction, only there are a lot of babies here.

RE: Another interesting blog post by Peter Kidd - Linda - 02-10-2019

[Image: albert-le-grand-de-animalibis-bn-lat-16169-fr-134.jpg]

Albertus Magnus, de Animalibus, Biblioteque Nationale, Paris, Lat. 16169, fol. 134r.

And

[Image: zodiacalman4.jpg] 

i answered the blog post with this one

RE: Another interesting blog post by Peter Kidd - Koen G - 02-10-2019

Well found Linda, I thought so. I took the liberty to clean up the formatting in your post a bit  Wink

RE: Another interesting blog post by Peter Kidd - arca_libraria - 04-10-2019

Nice finds Linda! I am slightly worried that his suggestion when he didn't recognise something was that it must have been because the props department invented a manuscript rather than "maybe it's one I haven't seen before". I had never seen the Albertus Magnus image before either (or rather, I had only seen the standing marginal figure, but I had never seen the whole page and the decorated initial) and my first thought was "oh that's a cool medieval manuscript, it looks c. 1300ish based on the decoration I wonder if I can track it down?".

RE: Another interesting blog post by Peter Kidd - Linda - 05-10-2019

Yes i thought it was funny too, it is on the same page as the initial he did appear to accept as being real. You can even see the marginal woman's body in the clip, not much of a stretch for it to be a closeup of her belly, given the same type of fetuses. Maybe the sameness made him think it was a copy, maybe the number of them caused him to think it absurd, and a connection with the vms came to mind?

It doesnt call out nymphs in a pool, it just looks like a multiple pregnancy to me, given its location in an abdomen, albeit a record number, but then they tend to count only the ones that make it to term. 

I was hoping to see that second page beside the zodiac man but i didnt find it yet. Funny how contrast and skew can make things look so different.

RE: Another interesting blog post by Peter Kidd - arca_libraria - 05-10-2019

The manuscript is BNF MS Hebr 1181 and the drawings from the blog post are ff. 264v–265r. The catalogue entry with the link to the digitisation is here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

The opposite page is the one I have reproduced below. The manuscript was surprisingly hard to find, gallica and medium both said that it hadn't been digitised but the BNF website had links to both the modern digital scan and an old microfilm.
[Image: f538.highres]

RE: Another interesting blog post by Peter Kidd - MarcoP - 07-10-2019

(02-10-2019, 03:37 PM)Linda Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.[Image: albert-le-grand-de-animalibis-bn-lat-16169-fr-134.jpg]

Albertus Magnus, de Animalibus, Biblioteque Nationale, Paris, Lat. 16169, fol. 134r.

The illustration corresponds to the beginning of Book IX about human reproduction. 
The image seems to refer to Chapter 5, about plural pregnancies. I attach an excerpt from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. by Claudius F. Mayer (p.269).