The Voynich Ninja
[Talk] Alain Touwaide - Villa Mondragone - 14 Oct. 2019 - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Talk] Alain Touwaide - Villa Mondragone - 14 Oct. 2019 (/thread-2953.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Alain Touwaide - Villa Mondragone - 14 Oct. 2019 - ReneZ - 02-10-2019

For those who are in or near Rome in the middle of October, there is a presentation about the Voynich MS by Alain Touwaide in the Villa Mondragone, on 14 October starting at 2 PM:

Edit: I will not be able to attend.

RE: Alain Touwaide - Villa Mondragone - 14 Oct. 2019 - -JKP- - 02-10-2019

Thanks, René. Too bad I can't travel to Rome. I would enjoy seeing a presentation by Touwaide.

RE: Alain Touwaide - Villa Mondragone - 14 Oct. 2019 - RenegadeHealer - 02-10-2019

This post has been a small lesson to me in knowing what you don't know. My rudimentary knowledge of Italian is cobbled together from my learning of Latin, Spanish, and French more than 20 years ago. My snap judgement on the title was "Voynich was not alone" or "Voynich is not the only one". Thankfully I had the good sense to pull out Google translate for the proper translation: "Voynich and beyond".

Will Prof. Touwaide be giving a presentation entirely in Italian?

RE: Alain Touwaide - Villa Mondragone - 14 Oct. 2019 - Koen G - 02-10-2019

I have the same problem, I'm quite comfortable with French and especially Spanish. But of spoken Italian I would understand maybe 10%.

If it were in English and I had more time to prepare, I'd probably try to go. I've visited Rome once, which is not enough Wink

RE: Alain Touwaide - Villa Mondragone - 14 Oct. 2019 - ReneZ - 02-10-2019

I expect it to be in Italian indeed, but I do not know for certain.

RE: Alain Touwaide - Villa Mondragone - 14 Oct. 2019 - bi3mw - 02-10-2019

It would be nice to have a paper published ( in English ) after the presentation.

RE: Alain Touwaide - Villa Mondragone - 14 Oct. 2019 - -JKP- - 03-10-2019

I was thinking that too, bi3, thanks for mentioning it. Even an Italian one would be welcome.

RE: Alain Touwaide - Villa Mondragone - 14 Oct. 2019 - arca_libraria - 04-10-2019

I’ve never met Alain Touwaide, but he’s well known for being proficient in several languages and he has published in Italian before so I would not be surprised if he is presenting in Italian. The talk itself may not become a publication, but academics often use events like this one to present aspects of a research topic they are currently working on, so he may be planning to write something on the VMS in the future.

There are two main ways that talks like this happen: 1) a department has a lecture series - sometimes each academic year will have a theme or a period as a method of curation - and so members of the dept invite suitable speakers to come to the dept specifically to give a talk or, 2) the researcher will be doing research in a city away from his/her home and will email a friend to say “hi, I’m going to be visiting in June, do you want to have coffee together and catch up on news?” and the friend will reply “sure, but while you’re in town do you have time to give a lecture to my dept?”. In either case, it’s more common for lectures such as this not to be published unfortunately.

RE: Alain Touwaide - Villa Mondragone - 14 Oct. 2019 - Koen G - 04-10-2019

As far as I'm aware, Touwaide's recent talks have been about materia medica in general, so I was surprised to see he'll be talking about the VM. It would be wonderful if he is actually planning to write something about it though.

RE: Alain Touwaide - Villa Mondragone - 14 Oct. 2019 - bi3mw - 04-10-2019

Quote:The progress made in deciphering the mysterious volume will be described in the exclusive and unmissable lectio that will be held by prof. Alain Touwaide (University of California Los Angeles), world-renowned American historian, recognized as one of the greatest experts in the Code.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.