The Voynich Ninja
Arcades Cornices - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Arcades Cornices (/thread-2951.html)

Arcades Cornices - Mark Knowles - 01-10-2019

There is a drawing of a building on the causeway from the top-right rosette to the top centre rosette. Now to me that looks very much like the kind of pretty flat roofed campanile(church bell tower) that we find prevalent in South Eastern France and Northern Italy.

To me there is a feature of this drawing that I particularly associate with campanile. This is arcaded cornices. Now arcades cornices are a series of semicircular architectural features that we see particularly at the tops of many campanile. It is noteworthy that the author of the Voynich made a deliberate decision to draw these curly semicircular features at the top of the building in question, this is not the natural or normal thing to do, it requires a deliberate decision to represent the building in that way.

To me, like the swallow tail battlements, these arcades cornices again tie the Voynich to Northern Italy or possibly South Eastern France.

Now I don't know the history or origin of the use of arcades cornices and whether they have a specific meaning in the way that swallow-tailed battlements do. I don't know how their usage dispersed geographically over time. However I do know that they were definitely in use in the early 15th century in Lombardy. If anyone else has any knowledge of arcades cornices or where to find more information of this kind that would be interesting.

RE: Arcades Cornices - -JKP- - 02-10-2019

Mark, when you talk about the building on the causeway (there are several of them), are you referring to the ones that are attached to the long walls?

There are five structures attached to the long causeway walls in this section. You mentioned rounded cornices, so do you mean the tower on the top-middle of the causeway? If that's the right one, I don't think these are arcaded cornices. The rounded part extends above the top, which means it is more likely they are a form of merlon or roofing structure (but probably wooden rather than brick, since the brick ones were not rounded).

They're at the very top, in contrast to cornices, which always had a band between the arch shapes and the top. The tower is square, like the two shorter ones on the building on the right that faces the causeway and I think the color inside is for shading, just like the one facing the causeway (one is blue and one is amber like the one on the causeway).

There is also a larger drawing of a walled tower with Ghibelline merlons facing the causeway to the top-center rotum.

The building facing the causeway with the Ghibelline walled section and tall tower has a narrow saddleback roof (you have to look closely to see it), so it is more than likely the portal (the city gate) leading toward the top-right rosette since that's how they indicated city portals in the days of walled cities. Which means that the orientation of the entrance to the city would be from this causeway.

RE: Arcades Cornices - Mark Knowles - 02-10-2019

This is the building that I am referring to.(attached)

RE: Arcades Cornices - Aga Tentakulus - 02-10-2019

Just as an example of what it looks like in real life.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

I am thinking more like this:

Or this:

(02-10-2019, 12:44 PM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Just as an example of what it looks like in real life.

Unfortunately in your example we do not see arcades cornices.

Mark, I honestly don't think he would have drawn cornices like that. In the VMS drawing, the bumps are poking up over the top edge. And notice how there is a lower indentation, which is a common style and not usually part of the ones with cornices.

This doesn't have rounded merlons, they are square (they are brick), but it does have the kind of common indentation that occurs a little distance below the top. I think this is what was intended by the line below the top in the drawing. Sometimes the indentations are slight, and sometimes fairly deep. You can see on the edge of the VMS tower, the line angles in very slightly to indicate the indentation:

It's hard to find towers in their original form. Many of them had roofs added in the 17th and 18th centuries. Some were made taller, also, and Ghibelline merlons became popular in the 17th century and were added to many towers and walls without the same political significance that they had in the 14th and 15th centuries.

(02-10-2019, 03:50 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.This doesn't have rounded merlons, they are square (they are brick), but it does have the kind of common indentation that occurs a little distance below the top. I think this is what was intended by the line below the top in the drawing. Sometimes the indentations are slight, and sometimes fairly deep. You can see on the edge of the VMS tower, the line angles in very slightly to indicate the indentation:

It's hard to find towers in their original form. Many of them had roofs added in the 17th and 18th centuries. Some were made taller, also, and Ghibelline merlons became popular in the 17th century and were added to many towers and walls without the same political significance that they had in the 14th and 15th centuries.

From the drawing it appears that the roof lies above the curves not below them. I also think the reddy colour of the roof could be indicative of it being the kind of roof that has reddish tiles rather than the kind that one would walk on in the case of a military tower with battlements. In fact roofs seem to be illustrated the same way, with the odd exception, whereas the tower adjoining the "castle" possibly a "ravelin" is not illustrated this way with its blueish top. From the way these shapes are drawn they do not resemble either Ghibelline merlons or Guelph merlons.

You're assuming it's a roof.

I'm not sure that it is. Look at the two other drawings of square towers... they have amber and blue centers. I think it's possible these are floors or shadows rather than roots. Roofs were not so common on the square towers of this kind in the 15th century as they were later.