The Voynich Ninja
Transcription in “elementary touches”. - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Transcription in “elementary touches”. (/thread-2949.html)

Transcription in “elementary touches”. - Wladimir D - 28-09-2019

.txt   f58v_Dulov .txt (Size: 4.08 KB / Downloads: 25)  I don’t understand why, in the first line, “c” was reflected “?” In another social network, loading from the same media occurred correctly.

.txt   f86v6_Dulov.txt (Size: 5.05 KB / Downloads: 20)

In the proposed transcription, I used the ideas for decomposing glyphs into parts proposed by Cham You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  and the addition to them of A. Alipov in the topic You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. .
 In the signatures under the examples, after the "=" sign, the transcription of the selected region is given in accordance with the transcription in "elementary strokes".
With the help of “elementary strokes” (a total of 19 of which are presented in the table), one can decompose (transcribe) any rare glyph that, when using the EVA alphabet, was considered simply to be mistakes (blots) in writing and ignored when analyzing text statistics. The table shows the variety of sequences of adjacent elementary strokes.
The purpose of transcription in "elementary strokes" is to check whether each stroke is an independent letter (phoneme). Of the 19 strokes, 4 (No. 14, 17, 18, 19) can be excluded and considered as special characters (or symbols of another alphabet for writing foreign words), since their occurrence is less than 10 cases. It is unlikely that some independent letter of the alphabet can so rarely be found over 200 pages of text.
We still have 15 strokes - letters. However, in the transcription there are numerous sequences of up to 5 characters “i” and “e” –EVA, which can give us 2 more letters in visual similarity to the Latin alphabet. For example: ii = n, ee = u. And with a language based on the Greek or Cyrillic alphabet, you need to add 2 more letters.
Assuming that the vowels in the manuscript are omitted and add another 4 vowels “a”, “o”, “e”, “i” to 17, we get 21 letters, which coincides with the number of letters in archaic Latin. An additional explanation is needed why, if the listed vowels are omitted in the text and the vowel “u” remains in the text. The fact is that in archaic Latin, the symbol “v” in the letter denoted two phonemes - the vowel “u” and the consonant “v”. That is, the vowel phoneme “U” can be omitted (inserted during translation), and the glyph denoting it is already taken into account quantitatively in the symbols of the alphabet.
 In the transcription, I used characters of the Latin keyboard layout with the most similar configurations of elementary strokes in the VM.
I designated a half-space with the number “0” (if one additional character can be inserted between adjacent words), “o” means a full-space space, “O” is the end of the line.
I conditionally divided all strokes into the basic form and modifiers.
Modifiers t1=”1”, t2=”2”, t3=”3”, t4=”4”, J=”7”, )=”)”, ‘=”^” .
Basic form  e=”c”, i=”i”, [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]•=".", /="/", |="|", [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]¯="-"[/font][/font] , ך [/font]=”>" and "<"

The original version provides examples of possible combinations for each bar You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. 

What is common between examples 138, 139, 140 (there are a lot of such examples) and 119 examples? Here the "pseudo-apostrophe" is too long and as a vertical line in example 119 goes deep into the interlinear, just as the bracket in eva- "y" does.
[font=Arial, sans-serif]     [/font]
Separately, I want to demonstrate the device of "benches". Pay attention only to the legs of the benches (without gallows and upper "indexes"). What a variety of combinations of "legs" are present in the text.

Along with the usual legs in the form of two e-EVA symbols, there are also combinations of legs:
•&ך   - fig. 141, 144 (?)
e&ך   - fig143
|&e    - 145, 146
e&|    - 148, 149, 150
•&e     - 156
e&•  -    157, 158
i&e    -    76,77, 78
i&•    -    159
•&•   -    160

I have no doubt that in the examples of long benches 151, 152, the right leg is the symbol I-EVA. This gives us another option.
e & i - fig.  153, 154, 155
Such a variety of combinations can only be explained by one, that each element of the bench is an independent glyph (possibly a letter).
In favor of this assumption, examples 51, 52, 53 (with codes not fixed) are given and compared with 65, 66, 67, 68, as well as five options for writing code 202 v 101 fig. 84, 122, 123, 124, 125.
I have a claim to transcription of EVA, expressed in the fact that in many cases the horizontal line is ignored. For example, in 54, 55, 78, 79, 80, 151, 151. This especially surprises me with the transcription in the ligatures of the bench with the gallows. In the figure below, we see that the left foot of the “e” changes in the ligature to “i”. In the transcription, “e” changes to “c”, and “i” does not change to code 200 V 101. Take a look at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. .

I do not understand how eva- "s" appears in examples 76, 77?

I do not claim that the manuscript was written in archaic Latin, but I think that this version needs to be checked, like other languages with an alphabet of 15-23 letters.
The proposed transcription increases the likelihood of using a simple character replacement cipher when writing MV!
This work took a very long time. I am ready to do another transcription of the first and last pages of the manuscript myself.
JKP in another topic said that it’s quite simple to write a program for translating transcription of EVA into elementary touches.
If someone does this and makes publicly available the full (partial) arrangement, then I am ready to gradually use these files to make adjustments in accordance with my views and publish them for statistical analysis. Only the request to use the designation of “strokes” on the keyboard in my interpretation.
Other users could create their own transcription variants if they have alternative views (on the decomposition of benches, gallows, eva- “l” ...).
Please make a preliminary estimate of the entropy, and build a graph (in descending order) of the meeting of each stroke, expressed as% of the total number of strokes.
The sequences “I”, “ii”, ... ”c”, “cc” ... count and place on the chart separately.

RE: Transcription in “elementary touches”. - -JKP- - 29-09-2019

Wlaldimir, the "ith" example you posted (the bench with the straight leg), I agree with completely (and I like your very clear illustration).

I am quite sure it is a deliberate difference between the "c" shape and the straight-leg shape. My transcript treats the two shapes as different glyphs.

The straight leg also occurs on the right-hand side of the gallows in a few places.

There's even one spot in the manuscript (maybe more than one, I can't remember), where the straight leg was drawn over a second time to emphasize that it was straight.