The Voynich Ninja
Flora of the Voynich Code - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Flora of the Voynich Code (/thread-2947.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Flora of the Voynich Code - -JKP- - 28-09-2019

Wow, I only looked at about 5 or 6 pages and I didn't even read all of it, and there are that many mistakes.

RE: Flora of the Voynich Code - bi3mw - 28-09-2019

I find it hard to read the work unbiased, because behind all the "America theory" is. There are too many, very good reasons that speak against it.

RE: Flora of the Voynich Code - -JKP- - 28-03-2020

In the category of "things that make you want to clunk your forehead on your desk", Janick just won an award for Flora of the Voynich Code:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

"According to Kenneth Teng, editor for Springer, this is the first and only publication to fully identify all plant species from the original Voynich manuscript, a feat which significantly fortifies the assertions Janick and Tucker made in “Unraveling the Voynich Code.”"

I want it to be clearly on record that I was appalled when I read chunks of the Janick and Tucker books (I didn't buy them but there were fairly extensive previews on Google Books).

Not only were there many outright factual errors and typographical errors that should have been caught by editors (I documented some of these on the forum and on my blog), but the logic behind many of the assertions is, to my mind, appallingly bad (I documented some of this, as well).

I don't know who Kenneth Teng is in terms of academic background, but he apparently doesn't know much about plants (and I don't care if he turns out to be a botanist or a horticulturist or someone with 24 PhDs, it's the knowledge, and logic and the method that matters in this, not the initials, and the logic behind many of the plant IDs in the Janick Tucker book is extremely questionable).

I'm usually happy for people when they win awards, but all this does is cheapen the award, and my opinion of certain publishers that I used to respect.

RE: Flora of the Voynich Code - -JKP- - 28-03-2020

For an opinion about whether the VMS is Nahuatl, as asserted by Janick and Tucker, here is a blogpost on the subject (I was made aware of this through Nick Pelling's ciphermysteries blog):

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Flora of the Voynich Code - DONJCH - 28-03-2020

(28-03-2020, 02:19 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.In the category of "things that make you want to clunk your forehead on your desk",
"Nursery Management" Big Grin 
You couldn't make this stuff up!

RE: Flora of the Voynich Code - Aga Tentakulus - 28-03-2020

I don't even know why the topic is still an issue at all.
4 years ago I wrote friendly and reserved with the facts about the topic ( Maya and Co ) at Bax and Nick.
I am not sorry if I destroyed illusions and people left the conversation crying.
Sometimes they just don't want to learn and you have to beat the facts around their ears. Sooner or later, you're through with being friendly.
The same goes for the conspiracy theorists, falsification of the modern age. Just a lot, maybe, but no facts and no hard evidence.

Ich weiss gar nicht warum das Thema überhaupt noch ein Thema ist.
Vor 4 Jahren habe ich noch freundlich und zurückhaltend mit den Fakten über das Thema ( Maya und Co ) bei Bax und Nick geschrieben.
Es tut mir auch nicht Leid, wenn ich Illusionen zerstört habe und Leute weinend das Gespräch verlassen haben.
Manchmal wollen sie einfach nicht lernen, und man muss ihnen die Fakten um die Ohren schlagen. Irgendwann ist fertig mit freundlich.
Das gleiche gilt für die Verschwörungstheoretiker, Fälschung der Neuzeit. Nur viel vielleicht, aber keine Fakten und Handfeste Beweise.