The Voynich Ninja
Flora of the Voynich Code - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Flora of the Voynich Code (/thread-2947.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Flora of the Voynich Code - -JKP- - 26-09-2019

René linked to the new book by Tucker and Janick You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

"This is a breakthrough in Voynich studies.  We are convinced that the Voynich codex is a document produced by Aztec descendants that has been unfiltered through Spanish editors."

I tried to look at the preview. I'm always interested in books about plants. But even the abstract has me concerned. How can any European-medieval-style codex written by Aztec descendants be "unfiltered through Spanish editors"? It's not at all in the Nahuatl style.

Already in the sixth sentence, I see the authors don't know how to spell Salvia. They turned it into Spitplant hispanica.

Then they claim that 80% of 123 million people (which is more than 98 million) live in Mexico City. The population of Mexico City (I've been there) is about 9 million.

It gets worse. Then they claim that the Aztecs numbered 11 million, but disease killed 5 to 8 million and then further disease a generation later killed another 7 million. That adds up to 12 to 23 15 million, which is more than the 11 million that supposedly existed. It would be impossible for the Aztecs to interbreed with the conquistadors, as written, if they were all wiped out by disease.

If these basic, very simple facts are wrong, how faulty is the rest of the research?

RE: Flora of the Voynich Code - arca_libraria - 26-09-2019

It was brought up on two academic listservs this week and presented in such a positive/hopeful way that it suggested that the persons doing the sharing hadn’t really looked at the book OR the VMS. I really wish I’d said something, but I can only hope the reviewers are up to the challenge.

RE: Flora of the Voynich Code - Koen G - 26-09-2019

I can imagine that people who are not as deep into VM research as we are become hopeful by this publication. It would take a lot of dedicated study to realise just how problematic it is.

RE: Flora of the Voynich Code - -JKP- - 26-09-2019

I can't express how much this saddens me. Someone with decades of experience in academia AND working with a collaborator and there are this many errors (simple stuff, not even hard stuff) on one page?

I can't even fathom how this kind of thing gets into print.

RE: Flora of the Voynich Code - Koen G - 26-09-2019

But Cheshire was many orders of magnitude worse and he got published by T & F.

RE: Flora of the Voynich Code - -JKP- - 26-09-2019

You're right, it was worse. Glaring historical and logical errors and one of the top publishers let it through and the editor even upheld the decision post hoc.

I dunno. I see people on this forum doing excellent work, in-the-trenches hard work and keeping up the quality at the same time, and I know some of them would have trouble getting published because they don't have extra letters after their names. It doesn't seem very merit-based does it?

RE: Flora of the Voynich Code - bi3mw - 27-09-2019

One can not say much about the work of Tucker and Janick, as the preview on Springer is very short. Despite the mistakes mentioned by @JKP and my deep skepticism about the "America theory" I would have liked to read a little more. But I'm not ready to pay the high price for the book. In the end, this is the reason why the work is accessible to only a small group of people willing to pay that price. So a broad discussion will never take place. This is a pity ,after all, it's Tucker's last work on the VMS.

RE: Flora of the Voynich Code - -JKP- - 27-09-2019

Maybe a larger preview will show up on Google Books.

RE: Flora of the Voynich Code - davidjackson - 27-09-2019

Given the *ahem* overly large price quoted for a download copy of the version I saw, I doubt it.

RE: Flora of the Voynich Code - bi3mw - 27-09-2019

(27-09-2019, 12:00 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Maybe a larger preview will show up on Google Books.

Here we go:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.