The Voynich Ninja
[Other] Arthur O. Tucker - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Other] Arthur O. Tucker (/thread-2946.html)

Arthur O. Tucker - ReneZ - 26-09-2019

Another scientists whose name will remain linked with the Voynich MS has passed away, already on 5 August 2019.

His most recent work, in collaboration with Jules Jannick, is being published through Springer:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Arthur O. Tucker - -JKP- - 26-09-2019

I just read the title.

Can't believe it. I don't know if I could read it. I would probably have the same reaction as reading the last book, which was so full of unsupported nonsense it is tragic to see it published by an academic publisher.

I hope this new book isn't as bad but I guess I'd better not get my hopes up.

Nevertheless, I appreciate you posting, René. I only wish these researchers were half as thorough as you are. Then we might see something interesting (and helpful) regarding the VMS.

RE: Arthur O. Tucker - -JKP- - 26-09-2019

[moved critique of book to its own thread]

And my condolences to the family.

RE: Arthur O. Tucker - Koen G - 26-09-2019

I strongly disagreed with about every aspect of his research, but it's always saddening to hear that someone you knew about passed away.

RE: Arthur O. Tucker - RenegadeHealer - 26-09-2019

(26-09-2019, 09:17 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Another scientists whose name will remain linked with the Voynich MS has passed away, already on 5 August 2019.

His most recent work, in collaboration with Jules Jannick, is being published through Springer:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

After reading about William F. Friedman and then seeing the passing of Stephen Bax a couple of years ago, I wondered how many people who've made the VMS a major part of their life have died deeply frustrated that they never saw a solution in their lifetimes. I bet most who've died feeling this way have been unwilling to speak openly about this, because they don't want to look (or feel) like someone who threw their life away on a fruitless quest.

I just hope that whoever eventually solves the mystery has the decency to give due credit to the many greats, living and dead, whose groundwork was absolutely fundamental to the solution.

RE: Arthur O. Tucker - Common_Man - 26-09-2019

I sometimes feel the saying "the journey is the destination" applies very well to mysteries like the VMS. Because honestly, think what benefit would the content of the VMS give us? Maybe close to nothing, since the level of knowledge a medieval astrologer/medicine man/botanist/medicinal bath enthusiast(?! for the lack of a better word)/relegious teacher would've had in the 15th century would just be a fraction of what current day experts would have in these fields..

The payoff when/if the VMS would be decoded would mostly be the fact we've witnessed the journey, since other than the contrieved way in which the text has been encoded (may even turn out to be a natural language with a wierd set of linguistic phenomena going on under the hood) or the way in which the diagrams were concieved and drawn, I dont expect much data to be in there..

Let's see..

RE: Arthur O. Tucker - davidjackson - 26-09-2019

Can we please keep this thread on topic, especially given the sensitive nature of the news.

RE: Arthur O. Tucker - RenegadeHealer - 27-09-2019

Sorry about that David, no disrespect intended. I'd delete or redact the post as soon as I can figure out how.

RE: Arthur O. Tucker - DonaldFisk - 29-09-2019

(26-09-2019, 07:29 PM)Common_Man Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I sometimes feel the saying "the journey is the destination" applies very well to mysteries like the VMS. Because honestly, think what benefit would the content of the VMS give us? Maybe close to nothing, since the level of knowledge a medieval astrologer/medicine man/botanist/medicinal bath enthusiast(?! for the lack of a better word)/relegious teacher would've had in the 15th century would just be a fraction of what current day experts would have in these fields..

The payoff when/if the VMS would be decoded would mostly be the fact we've witnessed the journey, since other than the contrieved way in which the text has been encoded (may even turn out to be a natural language with a wierd set of linguistic phenomena going on under the hood) or the way in which the diagrams were concieved and drawn, I dont expect much data to be in there..

Let's see..

The content might be of limited value, but if it transpires it's in a natural language and we can read it, then we'd have discovered a language like no other.   And if it's encrypted (or a conlang) and we can decrypt it, we'd have discovered an encryption technique which has baffled cryptographers for a century, and learned that someone in the early 15th century was ahead of their time.