The Voynich Ninja
Aardvark claw imagery 1v, 55v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Aardvark claw imagery 1v, 55v (/thread-2898.html)

Aardvark claw imagery 1v, 55v - Monica Yokubinas - 18-08-2019

The root system on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. reminded me of an animal and on the herbal from 1520's they have what looks like an You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. on the root of the plant. 

The same aardvark animal is used on the roots for You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. in the 1520's herbal but was drawn as an aardvark claw on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

So, begs the questions, are the plants poisonous? 
Why the usage of an aardvark?  
and what would this animal possibly mean to herbalogy or alchemy?

RE: Aardvark claw imagery 1v, 55v - -JKP- - 18-08-2019

It does look a bit like an aardvark because of the extra root-part on the nose, although the plant is named after a pig (some of the less hairy aardvarks do look a bit like pigs).

I've always thought the root of 55v looked like it might be a pig/boar or an elephant.

Some say Cauda porcina is dandelion, others say it's peucedanum, still others say it's saxifrage, all of which are completely different plants. There's not much consistency in the interpretation of this name.

The critter in the belladonna root is a form of demon-dragon that I've seen in numerous manuscripts (not just herbals). It definitely could be associated with toxic plants.

RE: Aardvark claw imagery 1v, 55v - Monica Yokubinas - 18-08-2019

(18-08-2019, 02:38 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.It does look a bit like an aardvark because of the extra root-part on the nose, although the plant is named after a pig (some of the less hairy aardvarks do look a bit like pigs).

I've always thought the root of 55v looked like it might be a pig/boar or an elephant.

Some say Cauda porcina is dandelion, others say it's peucedanum, still others say it's saxifrage, all of which are completely different plants. There's not much consistency in the interpretation of this name.

The critter in the belladonna root is a form of demon-dragon that I've seen in numerous manuscripts (not just herbals). It definitely could be associated with toxic plants.
Thank you JKP, I didn't think about it being a pig. The book had one more aardvark/pig looking You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and one that looks like a female You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. among some other interesting illustrations. I'll post those on the threads that might have a correlation.

RE: Aardvark claw imagery 1v, 55v - Davidsch - 24-05-2020

(18-08-2019, 01:07 PM)Monica Yokubinas Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The root system on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. reminded me of an animal and on the herbal from 1520's they have what looks like an You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. on the root of the plant. 

The same aardvark animal is used on the roots for You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. in the 1520's herbal but was drawn as an aardvark claw on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

So, begs the questions, are the plants poisonous? 
Why the usage of an aardvark?  
and what would this animal possibly mean to herbalogy or alchemy?

@Monica, by chance, did you find a transcription of the BSB Cod.icon. 26, on this page 28v / or the entire ms ?

It says Faba inversa solanum maius 
This is indeed the belladonna, the text in relation to the plant:

faba=> bean, or something in that form, (strange because the belladonna have round berries not beans)
inversa=> inverted
solanum=> nightshade
majus=> major

The dragon does seem to serve the symbolic meaning of a poisonous plant. 
That means that You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.in the VMS is a poisonous plant as well !

In herbal genus, that is an Atropa. I post this because I stumbled upon that genus and wanted to know
when the first time that "atropa" was defined.  Wikipedia says L. But I did not yet see evidence for that rather late dating.

In general the names in combination with the drawings are very interesting here. For example: palma christi. on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
or the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. where the leaves of the plant resembles the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. composition

It seems there are descriptions of this ms 22 which can be applied exactly to the VMS (see also this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.)
see You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., but since links are often not followed, I include the text automated transl by google into Eng:
"
Description: The herb book known in literature is essentially based on the analysis of the sisterhs Nürnberg, Germanisches Nationalmuseum: Hs. 2962 by Barbara Hellwig 1977 (see ref.), Which also originated in southern Germany at the same time (between 1520-1530) Traits described, given a complete list of plants with all names, but not yet examined. The old-fashioned Gothic plant pictures with Latin, mostly also German names in Fraktur script show no systematics, especially since some plant names - from the prehistory of taxonomy - and the schematic of the drawing complicates the determination. 

A seasonal sequence is excluded. With its alchemical relics of folk medical superstition, as can be seen from the representation of the Mandragora, the herbarium still belongs to the tradition of the medicinal plants of the Salerno school, such as the »Liber de simplici medicina«. According to the arrangement of the illustrations, the lower third of the sheet is left blank for descriptive text.

The illustrations and other parallels are strikingly in agreement with a herbarium of 317 plant images in the first part of a medicinal collection by Giovanni Cadamosto in the Italian HS Vienna, ÖNB: Cod. 5264: 1r-80v. The Viennese Cadamosto Codex was produced in Venice or in Veronese, was acquired in 1519 in Lodi by Sigmund Kunderkofer from Innsbruck and was after that (until 1656) in the library formerly owned by Philipp Eduard Fugger and his heirs (?) In Augsburg with the signature Augsburg, Fugger library: 468 in the RS. 28r, p. 44r, p. 45r, p. 47v make it probable that the Wiener Hs may have served as a direct reference to the copyist of the Munich Medicinal Plant Book in Augsburg, but was not copied completely, because plants recognizable as Italian are not included.
"

RE: Aardvark claw imagery 1v, 55v - -JKP- - 24-05-2020

(24-05-2020, 02:10 PM)Davidsch Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. These names with the drawings are very interesting. For example: palma christi. on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Palma christi is a very common name for a variety of orchids because their roots are palm-shaped. Many of the old herbals include a drawing of a hand for the root.

Some examples include Palatino 586, Erbario 106, BNF Lat 17844, Bod Add 23 A, Canon Misc 408, Recueil, and others.

Quote:or the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. where the leaves of the plant resembles the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. composition

Prior to this (mid-15th century), there are quite a few drawings for dragon arum (Dracunculus vulgaris) that included a snake or dragon next to the root, but they did not usually draw the root as a dragon, as was done in [font=Arial, Helvetica]Cod.icon. 26 (an exception is BNF Lat 17844 where the stalk is sitting by the dragon's back, but there is also the regular-shaped root).[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The root-as dragon is hinted at in Cadamosto but it still looks mostly like a root. The root is actually drawn as a dragon in ONB 5264, which shares many similarities with Cod.Icon 26 but is earlier.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]     [/font]