The Voynich Ninja
Plant f22v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Plant f22v (/thread-2895.html)

Plant f22v - -JKP- - 16-08-2019

Here's another plant I've never been able to identify. The leaves are a bit like ground ivy, which is in many medieval manuscripts, and which spreads along the ground to form a ground cover, but it's not drawn like any other medieval plant. It has many of the same stylized qualities as f52r, which makes me wonder if some mnemonic or narrative is encoded into the plant.

It might also fit with Koen's Arma Christi ideas. It has candelabra/menorah and flail-like qualities. To me, these arch-like root stems (which also occur in another plant) have always looked a bit like reliquary containers but I couldn't put my finger on why they might be drawn that way or whether they might represent archways rather than a reliquary or monstrance:

RE: Plant f22v - Monica Yokubinas - 16-08-2019

(16-08-2019, 07:56 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Here's another plant I've never been able to identify. The leaves are a bit like ground ivy, which is in many medieval manuscripts, and which spreads along the ground to form a ground cover, but it's not drawn like any other medieval plant. It has many of the same stylized qualities as f52r, which makes me wonder if some mnemonic or narrative is encoded into the plant.

It might also fit with Koen's Arma Christi ideas. It has candelabra/menorah and flail-like qualities. To me, these arch-like root stems (which also occur in another plant) have always looked a bit like reliquary containers but I couldn't put my finger on why they might be drawn that way or whether they might represent archways rather than a reliquary or monstrance:

Here is a 1520 book with similar circles on the roots and the leaves of the voynich illustration if together instead of separated. many strange plants and root systems identified in this book. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Plant f22v - Anton - 16-08-2019

"Rattenschwanz" is Neottia ovata.

RE: Plant f22v - -JKP- - 16-08-2019

Oh yes. I know that herbal.

The drawing is also labeled Cauda Equina (horsetail) and that's what the drawing looks like (equisetum). Equisetum (horsetail) and Hippurus (mare's tail) were very common in medieval herbals.

The drawing doesn't look anything like Neottia. Anton, that first letter could easily be mistaken for an R, but I think it says Katzenschwantz, which is a less common name for equisetum (and which we tend to associate with cattail rushes rather than equisetum).

RE: Plant f22v - Anton - 17-08-2019

Now I recall that we have discussed all that already Smile

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Plant f22v - VViews - 18-08-2019

It's so strange, some posts from that thread have disappeared.
I distinctly remember posting a reply to Koen G there about those arches.
In essence, what I was saying was that the two central arches remind me of the two stone tablets on which the 10 commandments are inscribed. The parallel hatching on the sides of the arches actually shows them in 3D. The tables of the Law are frequently featured at the base of menorahs.
I had posted some examples which I can't find now, I'm traveling and don't have access to my files.

RE: Plant f22v - Koen G - 18-08-2019

Vviews, I also remember those comments, though I think it was on my blog post You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Plant f22v - -JKP- - 18-08-2019

VViews, that's a good one

I had thought of arches and reliquaries, but I never thought of tablets.

RE: Plant f22v - VViews - 18-08-2019

Thanks Koen, it was indeed on your blog, my mistake. So I guess I never got around to posting those examples. I'll do that when I get back!