The Voynich Ninja
[Other] Online harassment - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Other] Online harassment (/thread-2863.html)

Pages: 1 2

Online harassment - LisaFaginDavis - 26-07-2019

Hi, everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that I received a very crude, threatening, and anti-Semitic message last week from a fake Facebook account (no photos, no friends, no messages, just the name "Tom Berenger", almost certainly a pseudonym) specifically referencing my public critiques of Cheshire's work. I reported the message and the account to Facebook and blocked the account. I have no idea who set up the account and sent the message, but I just wanted to let this community know that it happened. I know this is a place where everyone strives to be respectful and courteous, even in disagreement, something I know we all appreciate. I think we can all agree that such anonymous and ad feminam harassment is truly out of bounds.

- Lisa

RE: Online harassment - Linda - 26-07-2019

Sorry to hear that happened to you. Of course it is out of bounds. There is ambiguity to be debated but i can see no place where threats or harassment has a place in such discussions. I hope it does not recur.

RE: Online harassment - ReneZ - 26-07-2019

Dear Lisa,

this is sad.
It seems to be an 'internet thing', where people are not aware they are talking to other human beings.
I could give you some other rather disturbing examples, but not through this public forum.

I have been at a loss how to respond in some cases, but my employer (who has also been implied ...) took it rather lightly.

Best wishes,
Rene

RE: Online harassment - Koen G - 26-07-2019

Wouldn't be the first time C. comes to his own defense using a pseudonym...

RE: Online harassment - -JKP- - 26-07-2019

I am both shocked and disappointed.

If it was Cheshire himself who did it, it's a rather disturbed and disturbing way to deal with criticism.

Sorry it happened to you, Lisa and I hope it doesn't happen again.

RE: Online harassment - VViews - 27-07-2019

Very sorry to hear this.
As JKP and Koen G said, it is most likely him.
He posted comments to an article on ciphermysteries that was critical of his theory, as "Rick Sheeger".
That pseudonym was a near-anagram of his name. I wonder about why he chose Tom Berenger. Does he imagine himself as the actor from Platoon?
Rolleyes
I hope he will stop this nonsense.

RE: Online harassment - Antonio García Jiménez - 27-07-2019

It is very sad to hear what happened to you Lisa. It is truly out of bounds, of course

Best wishes. I sympathize with you

Antonio

RE: Online harassment - DONJCH - 27-07-2019

This behaviour is unacceptable. Online harassment and threats against women in particular have reached epidemic proportions and must be called out whenever they occur.

RE: Online harassment - bi3mw - 27-07-2019

It is sad that such things happen on the internet these days. I wish you that such an attack does not happen again.

RE: Online harassment - Monica Yokubinas - 27-07-2019

So sorry to hear of this Lisa.
He obviously has some serious internal dilemmas effecting his capacity to take critique, and feels the need to lash out.