The Voynich Ninja
Baran Bo Odar - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Baran Bo Odar (/thread-2857.html)

Pages: 1 2

Baran Bo Odar - Davidsch - 22-07-2019

The director of the series DARK is named Baran bo Odar.

Question to you, because I can not find it on the Internet:

Q:
In what language does "odar" occur and what does it mean?

Bonus Q:
In what language is the word for a type of doctor, as he states, similar to "odar"?

For my full article here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Baran Bo Odar - bi3mw - 22-07-2019

I found Marjan Odar as Slovenian name. I have no idea if the name means something. There is no entry in the dictionary but Google translator recognizes odar as Slovenian.

Edit: in Croatian "odar" means deathbed, catafalque or hearse.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Baran Bo Odar - Anton - 22-07-2019

"Baran" is Turkic and means "sheep". In Russian sheep is "ovtsa" which is Slavic and "baran" which is Turkic.

Odar is a more or less common Estonian surname, so I guess there is some meaning in that language.

But there will generally be distortion in double transliteration, so I would not rely on the current transcription. E.g. if something was written in French as, say, "audart", it would sound as "odar" and transcribed in Russian/Cyrillic as "одар", then when transliterated back into Latin alphabet it would be "odar", and no longer "audart".

RE: Baran Bo Odar - -JKP- - 22-07-2019

"My mother's side is Turkish and my father's side is more from Russia. "Baran" is, I think, almost a Jewish name, but again neither of my parents are Jewish. "Bo" is just a nickname and Odar is an invented name. My grandfather, who was a doctor, had to flee the Russian revolution because he was in the White Army and not the Red Army. When he had to flee, he lost his whole family. He faked an ID, and chose the name Odar because it means "doctor" in some other language."

RE: Baran Bo Odar - VViews - 22-07-2019

In Armenian, "odar" apparently means "non-armenian", stranger or other, similar to goy/goyim in Yiddish.
In Mongolian there are several forms related to "odar" which relate to remote pastures. They draw from Turkic and Slavic forms:
"The two forms otur in ancient Mongol and otor in Khalkha-Mongol stand for “cattle grazing on distant pastures; fresh spring grass; a pasture; cattle enclosing”. The word otor conveys the meaning “cattle grazing on distant pastures” in the languages of Inner Mongolia, including Chahar. The lexical unit otor is used in the meaning of “a summer stall; hunters’ lodge; a summer farm; a distant pasture” in the Kabansky dialect of the Buryat language. The word otor means “a fishers’ hut on the bank of Lake Baikal” in the Kudarinsky dialect of the Buryat language. The form otr [otăr] denotes “a distant place (about a pasture)” in Kalmyk. This Mongol word can be compared with the Turkic one otar (a pasture; a pasture which is far from a village; cattle grazing; a meadow; a farm; a flock). The Mongol form can vary from otar to otorodarodor and utar. E.V. Sevortyan has revealed its Turkic etymology and marked the Turkic root ot (grass) [1974, pp. 487-488]."

RE: Baran Bo Odar - kitsune - 22-07-2019

"Baran" is not a Jewish name as far as I know

RE: Baran Bo Odar - Davidsch - 22-07-2019

The Mongol and Armenian links sounds interesting, but has no link with a physician or doctor.

The name Baran and "bo" was already explained by himself and as a word it occurs only 2 times in the VMS.

In my article, to which I linked,  all that was already explained, the real the question remains:

in what language is the word for doctor, "odar"

RE: Baran Bo Odar - VViews - 22-07-2019

Hmmm still not really a proper doctor, but at least this one is in the medical realm:
Irish:
Othar:
Etymology
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (“sickness, illness; state of being tended in illness, nursing, sick-attendance; a sick or wounded man”). [emphasis mine]

Old Irish:
Noun 2
othar m
  1. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (of the condition, not the disease)
  2. state of being tended in illness, nursing, sick-attendance
  3. a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. man
  4. lying You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. or wounded
  5. a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.-place