The Voynich Ninja
Tim King's et al. translation - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: Tim King's et al. translation (/thread-2847.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Tim King's et al. translation - Gioynich - 10-07-2019

Just found this new paper: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
proposing that the Voynich is written in a Vulgar Latin dialect, likely affected by a contemporary Italian dialect.
I haven't had much time to read it thoroughly, but it's one of the first papers I see with a clear methodology and translations that make some sense.
Thoughts?

RE: Tim King's et al. translation - ReneZ - 11-07-2019

Thanks for the reference. Both the contents (including specific details) and the name of the prime author ring a bell but I can't remember where I have seen this before. Maybe some other forum reader does.

As regards the proposed solution, this is a perfect example of the 'standard approach' which I discuss in the paper that is mentioned You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. :

It is also a clear example of the four-step method that Marco describes You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.:

So, contrary to:
Quote:one of the first papers I see with a clear methodology and translations that make some sense
there are many, many very similar papers, for example the ones by Gerard Cheshire and J.M. Herrmann, and solutions discussed in this and other fora by M. Yokubinas, D. Lockerby, dr. M. Hoffmann.

RE: Tim King's et al. translation - -JKP- - 11-07-2019

I don't think I would agree with King's dedication that Stephen Bax was the first.

He may have been the first to get really huge news coverage, but he didn't solve anything.

Bax's methodology was the same as all the previous (and subsequent) substitution decipherments—logically flawed. He ignored the basic structure of Voynichese.

Wow, I'm already concerned after reading the second sentence...

"Based upon our findings, the language of the Voynich Manuscript is a Vulgar Latin dialect, likely affected by a contemporary Italian dialect."

If the VMS was created c. early 15th century, how could the text be affected by a contemporary Italian dialect? They were still speaking medieval Italian. Even 17th-century Italian is different from modern Italian, and 15th-century Italian is quite a bit different.

Sentence three is naive...

"We also provide evidence regarding the origin of the writing system of this manuscript: it appears to be a late modified subset of a once widespread shorthand known as Tironian Notes."

There's no evidence that any of the Voynich characters are derived from Tironian notes. Countless researchers have looked at Tironian Notes. I spent quite a bit of time learning parts of the system to make sure I understood it correctly before having any opinions on it.

The "odd" characters in the VMS, like EVA-y, EVA-m, EVA-g, etc., are Latin scribal abbreviations and only very weakly similar to Tironian notes. They are essentially copies or adaptations of the early Greek scribal abbreviations (some are identical to the old Greek conventions). The gallows characters are more similar to Latin ligatures and Greek numerals than they are to Tironian notes.

They must not have understood Tironian notes very well when they wrote the paper. The concepts of Tironian notes are still with us, in various adapations of shorthand that occurred from the medieval period to the present, and they do not resemble the VMS any more than the original Tironian notes.

Oh boy. There are so many problems with the logic in this paper...

Ignoring Latin letter frequency:
  • They say this is vulgar Latin influenced by modern Italian (which is problematic in itself) and then they identify one of the rarest characters in the VMS as the letter "x" even though the letter "x" is extremely common in Latin.
  • They've identified y as "in/un/nu". This makes no sense. Why would a huge proportion of Latin words end in "in/un/nu"? The common endings in Latin were us/um/em and several others. The authors have paid no attention to Latin grammar-endings or letter frequency (or bicharacter frequency).
  • In their transliteration system there are quite a few common Latin letters missing.

Misidentifying Tironian notes and Latin/Greek scribal conventions:
  • They transliterated a loop on the upper right as "e", always referring back to Tironian notes in their comments. This is not Tironian notes or Latin, which means the authors don't understand the lineage of these scribal conventions. Tironian notes "e" usually corresponds to an arrow-head shape (or sometimes an s-shape). Rather than being Tironian notes, the upper-right loop is a very common Greek scribal convention for the abbreviation "e" (it could also stand for "o"). In Latin, the small loop top-right means something different from what the authors suggest. Latin scribes adapted the Greek idea but gave it a different meaning. In Latin, it's typically the "-is" suffix (as in -ris/-tis/-cis) and sometimes "-em" (although there was also a more common abbrev. for "-em".

Attributing Success to Findings that are Unsubstantiated

"Bax attested these sound values through the successful transliteration of the names of flora and celestial bodies within the Voynich Manuscript"

First of all, these ideas (Perseids and Centaureum) were not original with Bax. He chose words that had been commonly interpreted in this way because they resemble Latin (they are almost readable as abbreviated Latin, which many medieval scholars noticed and commented on before Bax), and Bax in no way proved that these proposed translations were valid (they might be, but it should be remembered... Bax's argument was for Arabic, not for Latin). The authors of the current paper are using Bax's Arabic transliteration to support their contention that the VMS is vulgar Latin/modern Italian.

How can the authors say, "In this work, we will demonstrate that most of the proposals by Bax are correct or within close proximity to what we identify as the correct sound values...". Bax's sound values were Arabic and the authors' sound values are vulgar Latin. Have they forgotten that Bax's transliteration was Arabic?

"In effect, we consider the published works of Stephen Bax as the first to provide correct readings of Voynich Manuscript writing system characters and that he is owed credit as the first scholar to pioneer the transliteration of this text."

In the five years since Bax offered his Arabic transliteration (which was only a dozen or so words), there has been no confirmation whatsoever that his translation is correct. Nor was he able to translate any further words in the 200+-page VMS in the years following the original announcement. As for Bax's letter-substitutions, a number of those were the same as letter-substitutions by previous writers, and there was nothing original about using a substitution-code.

"Our work is based upon utilizing Bax's initial proposals for the sound values of the Voynich writing system and expanding upon them."

So they used Bax's Arabic sound values chart as the basis for their vulgar Latin/Italian theory.

"Furthermore, we were able to expand upon Bax's inventory and we propose that the majority of Voynich characters are polyvalent: representing not a single sound or syllable, but a set of related sounds."

So their system depends on applying several different sounds to individual Voynich glyphs.

Are their translations faithful to the text?
  • The authors translated 6 + 6 star-names on f68r1 and f68r2. But the translations are subjective, as the authors variously interpreted y as "n", "s", "nu" or  "un", and e as whatever vowel they needed to create a valid or semi-valid word. They also added non-existent letters if they needed them. For example, laoades was interpreted as el aoades and then translated as al'owaid. Notice how many changes it took to get from laoades to al'owaid.
  • Similarly they translated "cinu" as "cignus" adding in two letters that aren't there to basically force it to work.
  • The authors assign many different interpretations to y and they ignore it when it doesn't suit them, often dropping it entirely.
Scribes did, on rare occasions, write phonetically (I have seen one example in Greek in the British Library) but, the problem with the authors' interpretation is that each person looking at the same words might get different results. Also, we don't know for certain that these are star names... that is an assumption.

Does the system generalize?

In the star chart on f68r1, the authors cherry-picked six Voynich tokens that could possibly be interpreted as star names (and made some subjective interpretation to arrive at the names) but failed to explain why their system doesn't work on the other 23 tokens. They did the same thing on f68r2. There is no evidence in their paper that the system generalizes. It only works if you hunt for tokens that seem to work.

Plant Identifications
  • On the identification of Viola (which is also known as "ion") they selected the second word on the fifth line as the plant name. They claim that cheey is "ion" but give no explanation as to why the name of the plant would be buried in the text or why this word occurs on many plant folios, or why it also occurs in the numerous cosmology drawings, in green Aries, Taurus, Leo, Virgo, numerous times on Scorpio, in some of the pool pages, and twice on the f68r1 star chart.
    Yes, the medievals believed that stars were connected to everything (including plants), but viola was actually a somewhat minor plant... it was not included in all the medieval herbals and when it was, it was usually Viola odorata, not the ones that look like Viola tricolor. When word (or plant) identifications are given, you can't just pick out one word on a folio and not look at where it occurs in the rest of the manuscript.
  • They identified Plant 15r as Cichorium based on picking out a mid-paragraph word that transliterates to çicure. The plant does not look like Cichorium unless you ignore the long calyx, ignore the leaves and ignore the shape of the stalk. The VMS illustrator could draw better than that. This is a very questionable ID.
  • I agree that You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. might be nightshade, it's one of the better drawings and LOOKS like nightshade (it also looks like Hypericon), so I'm not going to argue with the proposed ID, but the authors subjectively turned arien edie secaedn into are seca and even if this were a correct translation, it could apply to many plants and doesn't specifically identify nightshade. They also don't explain why someone writing in Latin would write like this: "Aequare, et adure seselio iure piare ure". Those who can read Latin will see right away what is wrong with this.

Is the transliteration/translation logic followed consistently?

"...el çyon" is likely the constellation Canis Major (Gr.: κύων)"

They took el cyon and removed the Arabic beginning and then related it to κύων (which means dog in Greek). If a system permits the removal of beginnings (or endings, or any other part of the word) and to mix language interpretations, then anyone can make words about of VMS text.

The authors have used almost complete freedom in changing the VMS "o" and "a" shapes into any vowel that seems to fit.

Here is a transliteration from the "map" page:

"de.u.re.u.se a.f.u.er e.f.i.o.o.us is.ed.n a.d.u.çe e.fe.n e.le.o.o.d.un"

Which the authors modified to create this:

deure-use aufer effusis etc. adduce ---- ille udum

Some allowances can be made for medieval spelling, which varied quite a bit, but I've never seen it vary this much and usually it's only a word here and there that varies... not a high proportion of the words.

darchdar is transliterated by the authors as deureideure then interpreted as deure et deure and translated as You shall dry out & dry out.

Deure is not Latin. When used as a verb (as assumed by the authors), it can be used in Catalan to mean to have to (to be obligated), or to owe. Since this is an incorrect Latin translation I tried it in Google Translate and it looks like the authors' translation might be based on an incorrect Google guess (Google Translate software makes a "best guess" if it doesn't recognize the words).

Vulgar Latin Explanation

"Near the end of the Vulgar Latin Era, only two of the original Classical Latin cases remained (idem.: 48): Nominative and Accusative-Ablative."

Romance languages had evolved long before the late medieval period and most people using Latin in the late middle ages were scholars, those lucky enough to have an education. Whoever created the VMS had access to vellum that was very well prepared, had access to pigments, had ENOUGH parchment to draw big plants and to leave quite a bit of space on many of the folios, and drew people from the upper classes in terms of their clothing. Why would this person write in a dialect that had disappeared a few centuries earlier and which was mostly used by people who were illiterate rather than those who knew how to write?

Even with this explanation, the grammar in the authors' translations does not make much sense, and there is still no explanation of why the letter frequencies do not match vulgar (or scholastic) Latin.

Locale

The rest of the paper just repeats what many other people have noticed, that swallowtail merlons were common to northern Italy. Nothing new here.

Summing up...

This "translation" methodology is flawed in the same ways as most of those of the others that went before it. Essentially it works like this:
  • pick out tokens that almost work with the chosen system,
  • allow multiple subjective interpretations of individual letters,
  • subjectively change them a bit to make them work if they don't quite fit the system (including interpretation in a different language),
  • ignore letter-frequency-distribution in the chosen language,
  • ignore spelling in words that are usually spelled consistently (even in medieval times, some words were mostly spelled in the same way),
  • ignore grammar in the chosen language (Latin endings, which are extremely important to grammatical interpretation, are almost completely absent in this translation), and
  • ignore the context and all the rest of the text that doesn't work according to the system.

Is it possible that Latin underlies the VMS in some way? It's possible. In fact, given that Latin was the lingua franca of educated people, it's probably the best place to start, but I don't think the authors have given a convincing argument that this is Latin or that it is Latin specifically in the way they describe (for example, the option of interpreting y as "n" must have come from Stephen Bax because that's the way he did it, but that was appropriate for Arabic, not Latin). The main problem in the methodology is picking out words that seem to work, changing them to MAKE them work, and ignoring anything that doesn't seem to work.

You know, I actually hate writing posts like this, I'd rather heap praise on something well done, but I hate bad science even worse and I think it's important to identify questionable methodology when it occurs.

RE: Tim King's et al. translation - Koen G - 11-07-2019

Thanks, JKP. Saves me the time of reading the thing completely.

I also noticed in the conclusion that they use the trope "we're unable to solve this mess, others will have to do the full translation for us", which is always a bad sign.

RE: Tim King's et al. translation - Helmut Winkler - 11-07-2019

I read the paper until I found the sentence  'in instances where multiple consecutive verbs share the same declension [sic]'    

RE: Tim King's et al. translation - Davidsch - 11-07-2019

I think after quickly scanning though, this is not very bad compared to other papers. It is one of the best attempts so far of matching one single character of the VMS to a language. Unfortunately the attempt to escape beyond a childish language has utterly failed.  

Quote:

"The creation of ligatures or conflations of the Voynich character i  with other syllablic characters also generates space efficiency: rather than writing Voynich el  and i  to produce eli , the characters are merged into one single character to further save space."

Yes, because "el and i" separate take up so much space, and there is almost no vacant space, this sounds logical. Confused

RE: Tim King's et al. translation - nablator - 11-07-2019

(11-07-2019, 03:50 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Deure is not Latin.
Yes it is.
2nd person singular present active imperative of deuro: to burn up, consume, destroy
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.