The Voynich Ninja
[split] Robert Fludd, Integrum morborum mysterium (1631) - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: [split] Robert Fludd, Integrum morborum mysterium (1631) (/thread-2822.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

[split] Robert Fludd, Integrum morborum mysterium (1631) - Koen G - 19-06-2019

Gladyseva pinned some good images.

Has anyone seen the following images before? They look like some reimagining of the 9-rosettes foldout.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

(edit: I split these posts since they may be worth their own thread - Nablator found the origin, see post below)

RE: Alisa Gladyseva: Voynich manuscript is decoded - nablator - 19-06-2019

(19-06-2019, 10:13 AM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Has anyone seen the following images before? They look like some reimagining of the 9-rosettes foldout.

Nice one.

Higher resolution: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Robert Fludd, Integrum morborum mysterium (1631)

RE: [split] Robert Fludd, Integrum morborum mysterium (1631) - Koen G - 19-06-2019

You're a good detective Nablator Smile Side-by-side:

I'd be surprised if this hasn't been noted before? The similarities are manifold both in apparent content and form.

RE: [split] Robert Fludd, Integrum morborum mysterium (1631) - Linda - 19-06-2019

I can see some similarities in form, but content? Angels sending animals down to a guy in a bed? 
Hostile defense saved invade type 
Is what i get out of google translate for the title?

RE: [split] Robert Fludd, Integrum morborum mysterium (1631) - -JKP- - 19-06-2019

There are three or four sets of engravings from that time period (in different publications) that have similarities with the VMS for which I've been trying to find predecessors because they all look derivative to me (based on earlier ideas), but I'm finding it difficult to track down earlier versions—it's quite a bit harder than I expected.

RE: [split] Robert Fludd, Integrum morborum mysterium (1631) - Koen G - 19-06-2019

Linda: don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to force a parallel. In fact, this is exactly the kind of thing that might be abused by people whose ideas I don't agree with. But when a parallel presents itself, I point it out.

In this case, the clearest parallels are in form, but there is some commonality in theme as well. Division in nine parts. The vertical and horizontal connectors are cone-shaped. The diagonal connectors are different, and they appear to relate to the elements and winds (pipes and openings in the VM). Even the round saw pattern in the bottom and top circle. And in both cases, the centre appears to be some kind of tower, city or fortification.

So even though there are large differences, I think the resemblances are too great to ignore.

JKP: that's what I was thinking as well, there must be some previous source. But apparently it's hard to find.

RE: [split] Robert Fludd, Integrum morborum mysterium (1631) - nablator - 19-06-2019

The double page (and the rest of the book) is readable here:

It seems to be about (spiritual) defense against evil spirits that torment the guy who is lying in bed (ill?)

EDIT: Good explanations here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: [split] Robert Fludd, Integrum morborum mysterium (1631) - bi3mw - 19-06-2019

(19-06-2019, 01:26 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.JKP: that's what I was thinking as well, there must be some previous source. But apparently it's hard to find.
Robert Fludd was heavily influenced by Nicholas Cusanus and Paracelsus. Maybe one should investigate in those directions, especially Nikolaus Cusanus.

Nablator: that page quotes Stephen Skinner, who also wrote the foreword in the Watkins edition VM facsimile. Maybe I should mail him to ask if he knows more about this?

RE: [split] Robert Fludd, Integrum morborum mysterium (1631) - nablator - 19-06-2019

(19-06-2019, 02:50 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Nablator: that page quotes Stephen Skinner, who also wrote the foreword in the Watkins edition VM facsimile. Maybe I should mail him to ask if he knows more about this?
Maybe he would know what the peculiar representation is based on. The source for the 4 evil spirits in the 4 cardinal directions, without illustration, can be traced back to Solomonic magic : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. in Trinity College ms. O.8.29.