The Voynich Ninja
[split] f6r plant - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: [split] f6r plant (/thread-2805.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: [split] f6r plant - Aga Tentakulus - 25-03-2021

Not only humans have worn glasses.  Big Grin

RE: [split] f6r plant - -JKP- - 25-03-2021

Aga, that's an awesome image.

RE: [split] f6r plant - Pardis Motiee - 25-03-2021

The You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.'s pinnatifid leaf is not having the wast palm of the drawing. I haven't seen the roots. Also the head of inflorescence is not like the figure. What about side opening?

RE: [split] f6r plant - -JKP- - 26-03-2021

Side opening? I don't think I've seen anyone mention this, but I think it might be a sparkling dew drop. It's common for dewdrops to sit on moss and many other plants.

Dewdrops sometimes sit on the top, sometimes they hang from the underside:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Here's a drawing and photo of Reseda (wild mignonette) that shows the leaves:

RE: [split] f6r plant - Pardis Motiee - 26-03-2021

Dew? I  think it is a side opening. Suggesting it is a selloum or a similar specie by considering both roots and leaf.

RE: [split] f6r plant - -JKP- - 26-03-2021

I don't have a problem with P. selloum ID for the leaves, they are very similar, but I don't think the VMS seedheads look anything like P. selloum flowers. For the more naturalistic drawings, the VMS seeds/flowers are reasonably accurate.

It is not only the shape that is wrong (and the colors), but P. selloum "flowers" (spathes) are not wiggly and they are on a single stalk. Also, they are at the base of the plant, not at the top of the stalk, they are large, and they do not branch.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginal...f=1&nofb=1]                

P. selloum seedhead                                                          Reseda seedheads                                                                                     VMS f6r

I think You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. is more similar to Reseda or to moss spores.

RE: [split] f6r plant - RenegadeHealer - 26-03-2021

(25-03-2021, 11:37 AM)Pardis Motiee Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.What about side opening?

If this is indeed reseda, then I think this feature could be a mnemonic for two important facts about this plant:
1. The mature seed pod's side breaks open to release the seeds
2. Its medical uses include topical treatment for bruises

RE: [split] f6r plant - Linda - 26-03-2021

Funny the different things we all see in the same drawing. I was thinking the side opening visual (which i can see more than the dew idea) would work out as a mnemonic, or some kind of mistranslation, of something like Acanthus. For instance, If it was said "there is a spiny bract to one side of the middle of the fruit ", but they drew it on the middle of the side, instead of the side of the middle (middle in the second case being where they join at the stem). Or, it could be purposeful, maybe that result could be enough to remind you which plant you were thinking about. Evidently it was used medicinally, re injuries to muscle, ligament and skin, so that information might be something you might want to keep from your enemies by not being obvious about the plant. It evokes both the flower with its petals poking out of the smooth top bract, as well as the seedpod and its remaining spiny bract, although it is opposite to what is drawn, seed pod on bract, rather than vice versa. The side opening might also come into play in that Acanthus seeds do exit the pod in that manner, as opposed to through the top as suggested. The red tip on the tube i take as a mnemonic for red tipped cylindrical flower/bract combo. The end result of what looks like a plant started from a root cutting, with an agressively root system that intertwines, and emphasis placed on the seed pods would tend to suggest seed propagation, matches Acanthus' invasive properties, but which might be a good thing if you are looking to improve barren ground. It might also be a good plant to use for erosion control in the case of flooding. 

[Image: 3483c71ba2ff8c8ed0501044181628dd.jpg][Image: Plant-Illustration-of-Bears-Breeches.jpg][Image: 2137c51e4f3540948e58b98fdf56aff0.jpg][Image: 0d52b240af65db5d2346e69bd7f19986.jpg][Image: FuchsAHL-acanthus.jpg][Image: f6r.jpg]