The Voynich Ninja
[Article] Solved again... - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Article] Solved again... (/thread-2763.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Solved again... - ReneZ - 07-05-2019

In the Journal of Romance Studies:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Solved again... - VViews - 07-05-2019

"Dr. Gerard Cheshire" 
JKP's prophecy from 2017 has come true, alas... 

(10-11-2017, 02:40 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Oh gawd... I just had an awful thought.

This guy is going to get a PhD and people will listen to what he says even if he's wrong, and be afraid to critique him even if he is wrong just because of the initials behind his name.

Also, I guess peer-review isn't what it used to be!

RE: Solved again... - Koen G - 07-05-2019

No no no this is so bad. 
Cheshire doesn't know the first thing about language families or any other linguistic concepts. He thinks herbal medicine is homeopathy and thinks a folio and a portfolio are the same thing.

Worse still, he has bad ethics, faking publication and so forth.

Tucker was bad, but to a degree still understandable. That Cheshire got published is much worse still.

RE: Solved again... - davidjackson - 07-05-2019

Crikey, it only took him 2 weeks to decipher the method?!

RE: Solved again... - ReneZ - 07-05-2019

David, yes, because he skipped the time-consuming step of reading up on any previous work done on the MS.

RE: Solved again... - -JKP- - 07-05-2019

The earlier thread and heads-up by Koen has information on his previous paper:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Solved again... - Linda - 07-05-2019

There is also this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Solved again... - -JKP- - 07-05-2019

"Gerard Cheshire

Dr. Gerard Cheshire has recently completed his doctorate, expounding an adaptive theory for human belief systems, and is now a Research Associate with University of Bristol. The solution to the codex of MS408 was developed over a 2-week period in May 2017 after he came across the manuscript for the first time whilst conducting research for his PhD dissertation. Having deciphered the writing system, he subsequently realized the significance of the manuscript to Romance linguists and Mediaeval historians, and so decided to publish the information."

Considering how bad his initial papers were, I'd say it demonstrates how inadequate 2 weeks is.

Maybe his doctorate should have been in Creative Writing because I don't believe for a nanosecond that he even had the barest notion of what was going on in the VMS in two weeks. His series of papers in 2017 and 2018 don't illustrate even a twentieth of the understanding of the VMS that has been demonstrated by people like Pelling, Zandbergen, Ponzi, and numerous others (if I try to name them all I'll miss someone and they'll be p'ed at me, so you'll have to accept "et al").

RE: Solved again... - Anton - 07-05-2019

Is this a serious journal?

I'm puzzled by the style of the abstract passed through the review: "...identifying the language and solving the writing system required some ingenuity and lateral thinking, but both were duly revealed..."

RE: Solved again... - Koen G - 07-05-2019

(07-05-2019, 07:58 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Is this a serious journal?

They have no impact factor, which means top scholars won't publish there easily.