The Voynich Ninja
[split] BAV Pal. lat. 291. De rerum naturis. 1425 - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: [split] BAV Pal. lat. 291. De rerum naturis. 1425 (/thread-2762.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: [split] BAV Pal. lat. 291. De rerum naturis. 1425 - Linda - 08-05-2019

I see the pinecones as signifying a mountain of volcanic origin, but instead of a spring coming to the surface on the mountain, it goes underground to heat the water, (the red inside the barrels, which are small tubes analogous to underground rivers)then it comes up around the areas of the gulfs. (I think these in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. in particular are in Lesbos). That is why i think there is a pattern around the one gulf, it matches patterns in the rosettes which also indicate volcanic origins, as do the finials. The gulfs were created by erosion caused by the hydrothermal activity, and the other one has the pile of rocks which i take to be the drowned ancient city of Pyrrha.  

[Image: lesbos-island-topographic-map-3d-view-co...mspott.jpg]

The other pinecone on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. flows directly into a lake, so that one is more analogous to the image with the water flowing from the mountains to the lakes and then continuing onward from there, as these do. I think this one is central to the Italian Peninsula and the lakes are just  north of Rome.

RE: [split] BAV Pal. lat. 291. De rerum naturis. 1425 - Emma May Smith - 08-05-2019

(08-05-2019, 08:24 AM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I interpret the one on the right here as a concave niche (similar to the one on the left) decorated with a shell. 

And if the item in Quire 13 were interpreted as being concave, then the design would be much more like a muqarnas vault.

[Image: samer2head.png]

Did anybody every build such a vault over a fountain? Are all the women performing ghusl? Maybe all the mikveh guesses are nearly right.

RE: [split] BAV Pal. lat. 291. De rerum naturis. 1425 - -JKP- - 08-05-2019

(08-05-2019, 09:03 PM)Emma May Smith Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(08-05-2019, 08:24 AM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I interpret the one on the right here as a concave niche (similar to the one on the left) decorated with a shell. 

And if the item in Quire 13 were interpreted as being concave, then the design would be much more like a muqarnas vault.

[pic deleted for brevity]

Did anybody every build such a vault over a fountain? Are all the women performing ghusl? Maybe all the mikveh guesses are nearly right.

Emma, when I posted the blog about domes, and the wonderful textures they have that seem similar to some of the VMS patterns and textures, I tried to find out if they were also built over fountains, but most of what I found was grottos and more traditional fountains. I can't remember finding any of this specific design although I expect they probably exist, since there were many public fountains built into the cavities of buildings.

A lot of them are quite simple, like these:

[Image: 20160513_150806.jpg] [Image: Philips-Fountain.jpg]

More ornate (Islamic):

[Image: 87fb416f2ed83025ee8e0ce4ebc0c3e7.jpg]

But one that may be of interest because it includes several archways and a recess (which is slightly similar to the arched VMS pool drawing with pairs of nymphs) is this Moorish fountain:

[Image: POSMFDSC_0143-1.jpg?ssl=1]

RE: [split] BAV Pal. lat. 291. De rerum naturis. 1425 - -JKP- - 08-05-2019

This one isn't a fountain, but the textures particularly reminded me of the VMS textures in the "cosmology" and "map" sections:

[Image: 1104.jpg]

Many of the textured domes in India are similar to this, also.