The Voynich Ninja
[split] BAV Pal. lat. 291. De rerum naturis. 1425 - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: [split] BAV Pal. lat. 291. De rerum naturis. 1425 (/thread-2762.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

[split] BAV Pal. lat. 291. De rerum naturis. 1425 - Linda - 07-05-2019

Dont know if this one has been posted before, but i thought it was interesting.

Vatican, Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana, Pal. lat. 291, f. 109v. Rabanus Maurus, De rerum naturis. 1425

[Image: 68b7c5b1224ba87a42e5c1844813eccd.jpg]

Also a pretty good match for the zodiac imagery, there is also this which includes a leopard very much like the vms leo

[Image: 130130beasts.jpg]

RE: Parallels for Moon/Sun/... faces - Koen G - 07-05-2019

Linda, I saw parts of this MS before (the panther especially pops up sometimes) but it's the first time I actually browse it entirely. It's quite interesting. I'm certain it's relevant.

I'll split these post so we don't get too far off topic.

RE: [split] BAV Pal. lat. 291. De rerum naturis. 1425 - -JKP- - 07-05-2019

I think so too. There are a lot of similar themes, and it's one of the ones that scores high on the zodiac combination-similarity.

Notice also the curled tail on the green croc.

RE: [split] BAV Pal. lat. 291. De rerum naturis. 1425 - Koen G - 07-05-2019

Look at this, it depicts some kind of sources but apparently they have to be in houses with quite familiar roof patterns.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

As far as themes go, the source of rivers (de fontib[us]) would fit well with the VMS water depictions (Chapter 11, oceans, rivers, and torrents [floods]).

Great pic of medieval water wheel:

The quality of the manuscript is up there with manuscripts commissioned by the nobility. I can't remember if I looked into the provenance of this ms. I'll have to look at my notes.

RE: [split] BAV Pal. lat. 291. De rerum naturis. 1425 - Linda - 07-05-2019

(07-05-2019, 04:33 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Look at this, it depicts some kind of sources but apparently they have to be in houses with quite familiar roof patterns.

Analogous to the four rivers of paradise from various maps? Also the concept of water runoff is portrayed in the other, complete with finial on the tiled rooftop.

The drawings of pearls and crystals each has a squarish block (similar to the one in the small-plants section):

Medieval manuscripts have many pics of furnaces, including glass-blowing furnaces, but they don't often include a pic of the glass-blower:

RE: Parallels for Moon/Sun/... faces - Linda - 07-05-2019

(07-05-2019, 04:25 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Linda, I saw parts of this MS before (the panther especially pops up sometimes) but it's the first time I actually browse it entirely. It's quite interesting. I'm certain it's relevant.

I'll split these post so we don't get too far off topic.

Yes, and sorry to get off topic again, but i was thinking about the idea you have presented before that the vms is not the product of an author, but a copy of something older. What if it was the product of someone presenting various concepts perhaps seen elsewhere, old, new,  repeated in various ways, but presenting these various concepts in yet a anothrr way, with hints towards the references, like to this work, and others. For instance Homer, Ovid, Virgil...especially to do with creation, ie the Pyrrha story, or the fourth day re sun and moon.ie similar stories from various cultures.

The vms creator seems to me to think in a way that seems similar to my own connective thoughts, i like it when for instance a show i like on tv brings on guest actors from other shows i like, consolodating them into the collective world of shows i like. The Orville or Big Bang Theory putting various Star Trek actors in their shows, or including scientists, or actors from other genres i enjoy, for instance. 

Also back to maps, the large footed umbrella guy from this work is definitely copied from older works, therefore much of what we see in this work are also likely to have been previously portrayed also.

[Image: 130130genitalia.jpg][Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQedKLsBwonMdZsdUZlRTa...Z89wSRF-1w]

From wiki for monopod:

Reference to the legend continued into the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., for example with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. in his Etymologiae, where he writes:[/font]
The race of Sciopodes are said to live in Ethiopia; they have only one leg, and are wonderfully speedy. The Greeks call them σκιαπόδεϛ ("shade-footed ones") because when it is hot they lie on their backs on the ground and are shaded by the great size of their feet.You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
The You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., drawn c. 1300, shows a sciapod on one side of the world,You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. as does a world map drawn by You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (c. 730 – c. 800).You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.[/font]