The Voynich Ninja
M. Yokubinas translation - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: M. Yokubinas translation (/thread-2761.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: M. Yokubinas translation - Monica Yokubinas - 03-05-2019

(03-05-2019, 10:15 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Whether EVA-y does double duty or not, WHERE is the "g" sound in the middles of words? I didn't really get an answer to that. Gimel or "g" is common in Hebrew and pretty much every language.

There has to be something to represent "g" within words if this is believed to be natural language (which I think is what Monica intends).

Beginning of a short word page 37r, line 4, word inside the plant 'gr' = inhabit. Page 4r, line 1, last word 'Chgrg' Chg = solemn feast + rg = rest.  Page 43r, line 5 first word: 'ghan' Gh = to cure + an = how long. Page 22r, line 3, second word 'rghssh' rgsw = insurrection. If you need any more examples of placement just let me know. Hope this helps.

RE: M. Yokubinas translation - -JKP- - 03-05-2019

(03-05-2019, 10:52 PM)Monica Yokubinas Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(03-05-2019, 10:15 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Whether EVA-y does double duty or not, WHERE is the "g" sound in the middles of words? I didn't really get an answer to that. Gimel or "g" is common in Hebrew and pretty much every language.

There has to be something to represent "g" within words if this is believed to be natural language (which I think is what Monica intends).

Beginning of a short word page 37r, line 4, word inside the plant 'gr' = inhabit. Page 4r, line 1, last word 'Chgrg' Chg = solemn feast + rg = rest.  Page 43r, line 5 first word: 'ghan' Gh = to cure + an = how long. Page 22r, line 3, second word 'rghssh' rgsw = insurrection. If you need any more examples of placement just let me know. Hope this helps.

Yes, I need more examples, "g" should occur within words at least a couple of times PER SENTENCE (I'm assuming a VMS "sentence" could be as long as two or three lines, as it often is in natural languages). Surely you don't think one letter "g" within a word for every 10 pages is normal for natural language?

By the way, in Hebrew, gimel often occurs at the beginnings and ends of words as well, so it would also be wise to explain how your double-duty instances of gimel (as the concept "or" or as the letter "g") would be recognized as one or the other in Voynichese.

(03-05-2019, 10:27 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Quote:Monica: "...like being able to eat the tuber/sweet potato of the bladder campion on 33r not just the leaves as a winter pot herb."

I have my own ideas about what You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. might represent, but most people seem to think it's papaver (poppy) and not bladder campion.

The top of the VMS stalk does not look like a bladder, it looks like a seed capsule. Those are not petals, they are the rosette at the top of a seed capsule. Bladder campion has five sets of split petals, not at all like the VMS drawing.

The roots of bladder campion are usually like a nest of thin tap roots. They're a bit like buttercup roots. Occasionally they are like a slightly thicker dandelion root, but those are mostly the North American varieties, not the European ones. European species usually have thinner and more numerous roots. You wouldn't really call them tubers.

Here is a pic of the European version:

[Image: 1425044582.png]

Also note how the leaves are in PAIRS, at intervals up the stalk, not at all like the VMS leaves in shape, size, or distribution.

Also, the roots are not usually eaten. The leaves and shoots are eaten. The roots are usually used for soap (the saponins in the roots are good for cleaning but are bitter and mildly toxic if eaten).

Correct and yet we find a lost knowledge. When the Voynich was written, unfortunately people were not as careful in drawing as they were a 100 years later when it came to botany. Check out the bottom of page 33r and look at the tubers. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

The VMS plants are quite carefully drawn. The ones that are recognizable are pretty accurate as to leaf arrangement, leaf margins, etc. There are some that are stylized and some that appear to be mnemonic, but the naturalistic ones aren't as bad as some people think.

If you got the plant ID from Sherwood's site, you should know that about 60% of Sherwood's IDs are questionable, some are highly questionable, and there's one that shows unequivocably that she is not familiar with plants.

Your claim that eating bladder campion roots is "lost knowledge" is not scientifically supported. It sounds like a way to justify a very questionable plant ID.

Why don't you show a translation of the parts of Voynichese that say that and you might convince us.

(03-05-2019, 10:56 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(03-05-2019, 10:52 PM)Monica Yokubinas Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Yes, I need more examples, "g" should occur within words at least a couple of times PER SENTENCE (I'm assuming a VMS "sentence" could be as long as two or three lines, as it often is in natural languages). Surely you don't think one letter "g" within a word for every 10 pages is normal for natural language?

By the way, in Hebrew, gimel often occurs at the beginnings and ends of words as well, so it would also be wise to explain how your double-duty instances of gimel (as the concept "or" or as the letter "g") would be recognized as one or the other in Voynichese.
First let me reiterate that this is not the Hebrew language, but it is using a form of phonetic Hebrew, it is also like no other language known. The language of the Khazars was like no other language in the world. . “Persian historian You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. said that “the Khazar language was You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.” You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..  

Page 101r, line 3, third word, 'rghysz = rgz or agitation.  
You are asking me to explain one letter and its usage in the Voynich when I'm still trying to understand 3 other blends from one glyph while working on page 37r. try the letter exchange for yourself, on any Voynich word and see if it works for you.

(03-05-2019, 11:37 PM)Monica Yokubinas Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.You are asking me to explain one letter and its usage in the Voynich when I'm still trying to understand 3 other blends from one glyph while working on page 37r. try the letter exchange for yourself, on any Voynich word and see if it works for you.

Yes, I am asking you to explain one letter and its usage because if THIS particular letter doesn't show up in the manuscript as one would expect it to, regardless of the language, then there is something wrong with the method.

The letter g is frequent in MOST western and middle eastern languages, and appears in any position in words, so you can't just ignore the anomalous behavior, you have to deal with it.

You published your paper on academia.edu, so you are the one who put it up for public commentary, and I would assume you want to be taken seriously.

Wouldn't it be better to find any flaws in the method (or in the overall theory) and CORRECT them rather than going on and on for months or years mis-translating it?

RE: M. Yokubinas translation - Monica Yokubinas - 04-05-2019

(03-05-2019, 11:43 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(03-05-2019, 11:37 PM)Monica Yokubinas Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.You are asking me to explain one letter and its usage in the Voynich when I'm still trying to understand 3 other blends from one glyph while working on page 37r. try the letter exchange for yourself, on any Voynich word and see if it works for you.

Yes, I am asking you to explain one letter and its usage because if THIS particular letter doesn't show up in the manuscript as one would expect it to, regargless of the language, then there is something wrong with the method.

The letter g is frequent in MOST western and middle eastern languages, so you can't just look past it, you have to deal with it.

Wouldn't it be better to find if there are flaws in the method and CORRECT them rather than going on and on for months or years mis-translating it?
I agree with what you are saying, and yes there are letters, although phonetically compatible, that i need to change in my own list, but whomever wrote this used the 'gimel' like an 'He" at the end and there are plenty of references to the 'gimel' in mid word usage that still utilizes the 'of' interpretation. page 40v, line 9, first word: 'chygpyarg' chy = life, + g = of, py = mouth, arg = weaver/rg = rest. Page 42v, line 7, word3, 'hgfqr' Hqpah = freezing + gr = stranger in a foreign land / inhabit. but again this language is not like any other. I welcome you to look at the letter exchange and see if you can figure out which language uses less 'g''s than another. In the meantime, I will continue translations and post. When someone else finds a better translation, the more power to them. If they find i did something wrong and can correct, fantastic as we will all gain more knowledge. Since i cannot look at the past of languages i digress to you as the expert to look at, in the meantime, I'll continue doing what i do best, and translate.

(03-05-2019, 11:08 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The VMS plants are quite carefully drawn. The ones that are recognizable are pretty accurate as to leaf arrangement, leaf margins, etc. There are some that are stylized and some that appear to be mnemonic, but the naturalistic ones aren't as bad as some people think.

If you got the plant ID from Sherwood's site, you should know that about 60% of Sherwood's IDs are questionable, some are highly questionable, and there's one that shows unequivocably that she is not familiar with plants.

Your claim that eating bladder campion roots is "lost knowledge" is not scientifically supported. It sounds like a way to justify a very questionable plant ID.

Why don't you show a translation of the parts of Voynichese that say that and you might convince us.

Already sent you the link, didn't you look at the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. research database list

RE: M. Yokubinas translation - -JKP- - 04-05-2019

It's a broken link (I'll try it again later) and it isn't "lost knowledge" or any kind of knowledge if your plant ID is wrong. I think there's very little chance this plant is bladder campion. There's another VMS plant that resembles Silene far better than this one.

(04-05-2019, 12:23 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.It's a broken link (I'll try it again later) and it isn't "lost knowledge" or any kind of knowledge if your plant ID is wrong. I think there's very little chance this plant is bladder campion. There's another VMS plant that resembles Silene far better than this one.

no worries, i'll link again and have a wonderful evening. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.