The Voynich Ninja
Repetition in Hebrew talismanic text - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Repetition in Hebrew talismanic text (/thread-2751.html)

Pages: 1 2

Repetition in Hebrew talismanic text - -JKP- - 18-04-2019

There is a lot of interesting material on this site, but I thought I would especially call attention to the amount and form of repetition in this talismanic Hebrew text:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Repetition in Hebrew talismanic text - -JKP- - 18-04-2019

This is also a page of talismans.

Note the vertical dots.

If 116v were a charm (as one possibility), then perhaps a row of vertical dots in a talismanic vein would not be out of place. Note how there are often four with a little curved underscore shape:

The VMS is actually five dots, but four of them are in a row.

It's not specifically a medieval document but some of these traditions are very old.

This amulet is more similar to the "shield" style of charm that I posted a few years back on my blog. Once again, note the repetition:

In medieval manuscripts, I often see descriptions of how charms are supposed to be rolled up or carried around the neck or on the arm in pouches. I don't know how old this is, but it's exactly as described in medieval texts, so it's constructed the same way even if it's post 15th century:

On the back of this snake-skin, note the talismanic text and stars in each corner:

What if the writing next to the stars in the VMS is not the names of stars... what if it is talismanic? The repetition (and similar structure of each 'label') doesn't fit very well with star names and no one has succeeded in decoding all them into star names. It's possible to wrestle a few star names out of it, but the effort always stalls after four or five or so (which means the similarity might be coincidental).

This is like the "reduction" charm I blogged about years ago from Neusohler, except that it's in Hebrew:

Blog example in Latin characters:

Now, imagine if you took those words and partial words (as it is being reduced to a single talismanic symbol) and wrote them in a line instead of fitting them into a triangle or shield shape, you would end up with something that happens from time-to-time in the VMS, where the previous token seems to inform the following token, and they differ only slightly.

More dots. These are remedies, so the symbols may be numbers (quantities???).

A few years ago, I learned how to read some of the old Persian talismanic characters (for repelling demons, for example), but I don't know how to interpet these:

Not medieval, but in an older style, very interesting fancy container (note the wonderful dragon handle):

Some without handles:

Passover amulet. Some of the central patterns and textures are of interest:

You might remember Koen's blog about the menorah-like plants (including the one with entwined animal roots).

This is undated, but it has the same theme, with lions at the base (lions with legs through their tails are quite common, but I thought I would nevertheless mention that VMS "Leo" has the leg-tail):