The Voynich Ninja
Number of syllables distribution - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Number of syllables distribution (/thread-2741.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Number of syllables distribution - bi3mw - 15-04-2019

Made quickly, but should fit.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Number of syllables distribution - Koen G - 15-04-2019

(15-04-2019, 08:01 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Made quickly, but should fit.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Thanks, perfect!

By the way, it's the first time I see words like yteychkchodypchedpy and zepchydsaopchordy, are those real?

RE: Number of syllables distribution - bi3mw - 15-04-2019

To be honest, I do not know. I simply ran the  file through Antconc, but "z" cannot really be correct.

RE: Number of syllables distribution - ReneZ - 15-04-2019

(15-04-2019, 08:06 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.By the way, it's the first time I see words like yteychkchodypchedpy and zepchydsaopchordy, are those rea

Both words are 'interrupted' by plant drawings, so one may wonder if they are supposed to be single words.

The first one is on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. line 6 and the second one on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. line 7.

(15-04-2019, 08:32 PM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Both words are 'interrupted' by plant drawings, so one may wonder if they are supposed to be single words.
I see. They are so out of character, I wonder what was the rationale behind this transcription.

RE: Number of syllables distribution - -JKP- - 15-04-2019

I think it's unlikely that they are supposed to clump together, based on how the parts are comprised and compared to all the rest of the tokens in the manuscript.

It's not possible to say for sure (at least not yet), but given the choice, I would probably treat them as separate parts. In one of my transcripts, I marked the breaks between plants with hyphens so they could be processed both together and apart, but...

I agree with Koen. They seem out of character.

Using the file as provided, I got the following token counts. I used Emma's system but I did decide to give benches complete vowel status.

Code:
6+syl:  0% 149 
5 syl:  1% 309 
4 syl:  6% 2052
3 syl: 27% 10021
2 syl: 43% 16008
1 syl: 22% 7982

Compared to Emma's results, there is a considerable shift upwards, which is logical since I always took benches as syllable-forming. Even with this addition, words of over three syllables only make up some 7% of the corpus. The "6+" category looks mostly like the kind of examples we discussed above.

One conclusion remains that Voynichese words are "too short" rather than "too long".

RE: Number of syllables distribution - Emma May Smith - 15-04-2019

(15-04-2019, 07:30 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I'm thinking there should be a way to automatically count syllables without having to do any coding (i.e. within my abilities). Basically you take a word list with each word on a line, paste it in Word or whatever, use "find and replace" to delete all "consonants" and to replace all "vowels" by 1. If you do this in the correct order, you can even implement conditional cases. Then copy-paste the resulting strings of ones back in excel (next to the original word list), make a sum of the "1"'s and that will be your number of syllables.

(probably the programming-savvy are making fun of me now, but that's how I would do it Wink)

Does anyone have a Voynichese word list?

You need to code each word type by hand because (I believe) not all vowels are expressed. I suspect that [ch, sh] and [e] sequences not followed by [a, y, o] have a 'hidden' or 'deleted' vowel.

(15-04-2019, 10:00 PM)Emma May Smith Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.You need to code each word type by hand because (I believe) not all vowels are expressed. I suspect that [ch, sh] and [e] sequences not followed by [a, y, o] have a 'hidden' or 'deleted' vowel.

I remedied this by carefully planning the order of replacement. Replace "ea", "eo" etc first by a single 1, finally replace all remaining [e] by 0.

RE: Number of syllables distribution - Emma May Smith - 15-04-2019

I don't see how that would work. You have to restore the missing vowel. So words such as [kedy, kchedy, kody, kchody] all have two syllables in my system: one before and one after the [d], with the missing vowels inserted thus and all vowels capitalised: [keYdY, kcheYdY, kOdY, kchOdY]