The Voynich Ninja
k as page number? - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Library and Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: Codicology and Paleography (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-48.html)
+--- Thread: k as page number? (/thread-2736.html)

k as page number? - Anton - 11-04-2019

I was browsing You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and noted that the symbol similar to EVA-k seems to represent page number here. For example, in marginalia of f1r: "ad dolorem dentium k45", and indeed, on page 45 (f53v) we find "ad dolorem dentim".

Confused

RE: k as page number? - -JKP- - 11-04-2019

Usually when it's at or near the end of a line like that the g [font=Sans-serif]or m[/font] symbol is an end-of-section marker, but it does seem to be used here as a page marker, as you pointed out.

I see the k and g and m symbols in practically every Latin-based manuscript to mark section beginnings, sometimes section ends, and also as ligatures, but I can't remember seeing g/m being specifically used as a page marker in other manuscripts. I'll pay more attention in the future and see if this happens elsewhere.

RE: k as page number? - Koen G - 11-04-2019

Are you sure it's a page marker? This appears to be some short index, with page numbers added after each line. But there is no consistency in the order of page number and K-symbol.

Also, considering its size and proportions, isn't it more like EVA-m m ?

RE: k as page number? - MarcoP - 11-04-2019

(11-04-2019, 12:23 AM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I was browsing You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and noted that the symbol similar to EVA-k seems to represent page number here. For example, in marginalia of f1r: "ad dolorem dentium k45", and indeed, on page 45 (f53v) we find "ad dolorem dentim".

Confused

Thank you, Anton. That's interesting, but I cannot make sense of this abbreviation here. Helmut, maybe? Smile

RE: k as page number? - -JKP- - 11-04-2019

I have occasionally seen the "et" and "cis" symbols combined to indicate "etc." ("and so on") rather than using the more traditional shape for "etc.".

I wonder if that's what was meant and he was just lazy and didn't want to write both symbols together and just did the -tis/-cis part (and left out the "et").

ad dentes 26...
ad dentes 26 and so on (osv.)
ad dentes 26 and more from that point on...

RE: k as page number? - Koen G - 11-04-2019

(11-04-2019, 09:47 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I wonder if that's what was meant and he was just lazy and didn't want to write both symbols together and just did the -tis/-cis part (and left out the "et").

That must be it. The bottom line does not have the K-sign and indeed "ad faciendum aqua rosata" is contained to a tiny paragraph on p77 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: k as page number? - Helmut Winkler - 11-04-2019

I think EVA-m  and the other glyph are the   Latin etc - abbr.. and are used in the VMs in a literal sense as the etc. -abbr. and it is not uncommon to use these abbr. at section ends (etcetcetc) in the sense of and so on and so on and so on and I think they are used i in the VMs in this way (as simple as that)

RE: k as page number? - Helmut Winkler - 11-04-2019

Just as an afterthought: The same abbr. was used in German script from I suppose the 15th c. to the early 20th c.