The Voynich Ninja
Choice of glyphs - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Choice of glyphs (/thread-2729.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Choice of glyphs - -JKP- - 31-10-2019

An interesting Omega-shaped flourished macron for the letter "n" (Visconti Hours):

(A dot was sometimes also used as an abbreviation symbol, but in this case, the dot is the end of the phrase (the previous phrase is delimited with a dot which, in medieval script, was sometimes a period, sometimes used the way we use a comma, and sometimes an abbreviation symbol), so the abbreviation for the missing "n" is indicated by the flourished line rather than by the dot.)

RE: Choice of glyphs - Helmut Winkler - 01-11-2019

A dot was never used as an abbr. symbol, it i is always used as a punctuation symbol

RE: Choice of glyphs - -JKP- - 02-11-2019

Helmut Winkler Wrote:A dot was never used as an abbr. symbol, it i is always used as a punctuation symbol

Helmut, you have a lot more education and background in this area than I do, and maybe it's a matter of translation, but this is from an English version of Cappelli:

[font=sans-serif]     [/font]

It is in the section titled Abbreviation by Truncation, which Cappelli described as one of the six forms of abbreviation:

RE: Choice of glyphs - Helmut Winkler - 02-11-2019

I know the Capelli section and I think he is wong there, cp. the Bischoff chapter about punctuation. I think the dot as abbr. is earyl modern (a loan from classical tines?)

RE: Choice of glyphs - MarcoP - 02-11-2019

In Egerton 747 a few abbreviations also appear to make use of dots. The most frequent one is .i. for "id est". See the transcription of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. by Iolanda Ventura You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

First line of attached detail: "amixtione kekabre, id est vernicis ..."
Last line: "Contra gomorream, id est involutariam ..."

Another example in this passage could be .No. for "Nota" (highlighted in red at the centre of the image). Two more occurrences of .No. appear in the first lines of the next page You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

PS: these abbreviation dots appear to be placed higher than the baseline. Also, upon reflection, the use of two dots before and after the abbreviated word is different from a single dot marking truncation.

RE: Choice of glyphs - -JKP- - 02-11-2019

(02-11-2019, 11:02 AM)Helmut Winkler Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I know the Capelli section and I think he is wong there, cp. the Bischoff chapter about punctuation. I think the dot as abbr. is earyl modern (a loan from classical tines?)

I will look at Bischoff when I have a free moment.

RE: Choice of glyphs - davidjackson - 02-11-2019

I thought, without wanting to wade too deeply into this highly technical area, that the period was used to indicate that multiple abbreviations were written in series - to use the Capelli example, S.P.D. (Salutem Plurimam Dicit)?
Rather than as an individual abbreviation sign.