The Voynich Ninja
[split] (lack of) scribal mistakes / corrections - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: [split] (lack of) scribal mistakes / corrections (/thread-2658.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: [split] (lack of) scribal mistakes / corrections - -JKP- - 02-10-2019

Mark, there are lots of corrections. That's what half these posts are about.

RE: [split] (lack of) scribal mistakes / corrections - -JKP- - 02-10-2019

(01-10-2019, 04:28 PM)nablator Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....

On the other hand the weird shape on f20v:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

reminds me of these two (does anyone know their meaning?) found on Trinity College, Cambridge, ms. O.1.57 (15th century) f.126v (charm to catch a thief using a loaf of bread):

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Nablator, I thought you might like to know, I sampled this manuscript in June 2018 and the script scored quite well in relation to the script style on 116v. It scored 73.5 out of 120 (this may not sound good, but it is very good, anything over 70 is hard to find, over 72 is very hard to find).

It means the 116v scribe learned essentially the same writing style as whoever scribed the Trinity manuscript. The main difference is that the Trinity ms. has a few characteristics specific to English scripts (like the old-style long-r), that are not found in 116v text, and it is just slightly more angular (see the points on the loops for "p" "h" "g" and "d"). It's also a different final-ess, but the a,b, v, c, f, and l are particularly close (even the specific angle on the loops, which is something I don't often see).

RE: [split] (lack of) scribal mistakes / corrections - -JKP- - 08-07-2020

Areas that have been scraped?

[Image: Scraped51v.png]

RE: [split] (lack of) scribal mistakes / corrections - ReneZ - 08-07-2020

Interesting question.

This looks like one for Lisa.

This is folio 51v, and I see several other areas that look similarly 'damaged'.
I would not expect that scraped areas would be darker, but I am not the expert.

My guess is bad areas in the parchment, or some result of the parchment preparation process.

RE: [split] (lack of) scribal mistakes / corrections - Aga Tentakulus - 08-07-2020

Looks more smudged than scratched to me.
Like someone rubbed it with a rag, like on "Tepenec"

RE: [split] (lack of) scribal mistakes / corrections - Aga Tentakulus - 05-10-2020

Typos in other books. Now that I have read some books, the visual aspect seems to be more important than the grammar.
Many books seem almost perfect. But when you look at them closely, they are not. Mistakes without end.
When there are corrections, you can almost not see them, or then really with red that it looks official again.
From this insight I draw my conclusions about the VM manuscript.
I read books in German. But what does it look like in other languages?

Translated with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (free version)

RE: [split] (lack of) scribal mistakes / corrections - Aga Tentakulus - 05-10-2020

A few important spelling mistakes.
Why is he correcting the "4"?  There is more than one "4". If it didn't matter, you wouldn't want to change it.
The same goes for pos.2, a change like in the textbook.
And what does he want to tell me with the others ?

And sometimes there are no typos.
Spelling variations are not only time dependent, but also location dependent.
Song of the Nibelungs.
Therefore, page 66. "and the mus des"
It comes from the Bavarian and fits exactly into the world of the battlements.
The German text has no mistakes, only a limited writing style in terms of time.

And while I'm at it, here's the fourth ending.
No spelling mistake either, just a variation.

RE: [split] (lack of) scribal mistakes / corrections - Voynichgibberish - 05-10-2020

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3389]

Voynich Glyph e from the image above could the scribe actually be telling us that glyph e is a Latin letter "i"?