The Voynich Ninja
High-Resolution Image Downloads of 2004 Scan? - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: High-Resolution Image Downloads of 2004 Scan? (/thread-2632.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: High-Resolution Image Downloads of 2004 Scan? - nablator - 27-01-2019

(27-01-2019, 06:23 PM)doranchak Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Ah, ok - well in case someone wants TIFs with the same file names as the original SIDs, my mirror is here:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Copies of the command line utilities for converting SID images are here:

XnView decompresses the SIDs slightly differently. Very small differences: not more than one bit on each color channel, resulting in 2^3 = 8 colors in the difference. A rounding-off issue, not random, maybe a floating-point multiplication by 255 instead of 256.

On the other hand the uncompressed TIFs on the Beinecke website are much closer to their JPEGs than to the SIDs. Even to the naked eye the SIDs (and your uncompressed TIFs of course) show more detail than the images at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Did they use a different source (if not the SIDs, then what?) or did they apply a smoothing filter (unlikely)? It is also possible that these details on the pixel level were produced by a stronger sharpening at decompression both by XnView and the GeoExpress utility, compared to whatever conversion utility the Beinecke library used.

RE: High-Resolution Image Downloads of 2004 Scan? - ChenZheChina - 28-01-2019

(27-01-2019, 06:16 PM)nablator Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.No need, they are already available online: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Actually (I just checked) these TIFs are not identical to the SIDs: the differences are around high contrast areas on the greyscale channel. Maybe the TIF mage were filtered (smoothed)?

Very nice, nablator!

How did you find this? I would have not spent my time writing those Python scripts if I could know this hidden Voynich-Old earlier!

RE: High-Resolution Image Downloads of 2004 Scan? - nablator - 28-01-2019

(28-01-2019, 02:17 AM)ChenZheChina Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.How did you find this? I would have not spent my time writing those Python scripts if I could know this hidden Voynich-Old earlier!
I don't remember, it was a few years ago. More "hidden" (not really, the download directory listing is enabled) goodies: some re-shoots (I don't know what changed) and 600 dpi scans.