The Voynich Ninja
High-Resolution Image Downloads of 2004 Scan? - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: High-Resolution Image Downloads of 2004 Scan? (/thread-2632.html)

Pages: 1 2

High-Resolution Image Downloads of 2004 Scan? - ChenZheChina - 25-01-2019

Hi everyone.

I tried to find downloads of 2004 Scan of high-resolution images of Voynich Manuscript, and found that the website of Beinecke Library now provides only 2014 Scan.

As mentioned You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., Jason Davies provides downloads of high-resolution images of 2004 Scan on their website, but they are in SID format. I tried to search on Google about how to open the format, and Google pointed me to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., which provides a 16-bit application that could run only on 16-bit/32-bit Windows, up to Windows XP. Since I’m running 64-bit version of Windows 10, it doesn’t work.

So, finally, I had to write a small Python script to download tiles from Jason Davies’ website and another small Python script to merge them into whole images. To avoid possible loss, my script saves merged results in PNG format, so they are very, very large (about 9 GiB in total).

I’d like to share the downloaded-and-merged images of 2004 Scan, but I wonder how?
  1. Is there anyone who could help me sharing the files by providing some online space?
  2. If it is impossible, converting them to high-quality JPEG files is also possible. It’s probably better to have JPEG files than SID files or nothing.
  3. Or, is there any suggestion on opening SID files?

RE: High-Resolution Image Downloads of 2004 Scan? - -JKP- - 25-01-2019

Personally, I'd rather have .tif files. It's a better format than .jpg. Png is also better than .jpg.

RE: High-Resolution Image Downloads of 2004 Scan? - ChenZheChina - 25-01-2019

(25-01-2019, 05:25 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Personally, I'd rather have .tif files. It's a better format than .jpg. Png is also better than .jpg.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find a correct tool to open those SID files on Jason Davies’ website, so I have to download the JPG tiles from their server and merge them using Python scripts. The JPG files on their website must be lossy, but I saved merging results in PNG files so that their data do not get lost for the second time.

Now the problem is, I have enough space on my hard drive to save all those PNG files, and I’d like to share my merging results, but I do not know where could I share them online.

RE: High-Resolution Image Downloads of 2004 Scan? - ReneZ - 25-01-2019

At the time, I could read and process them with Irfaniew. It required a dedicated Irfanview plugin but this worked quite well.
Nowadays there is a 64-bit version for it.

I do not know if this allows scripting / batch processing, and if not, it would be a lengthy manual job.

RE: High-Resolution Image Downloads of 2004 Scan? - nablator - 25-01-2019

(25-01-2019, 07:52 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.At the time, I could read and process them with Irfaniew. It required a dedicated Irfanview plugin but this worked quite well.

I do not know if this allows scripting / batch processing, and if not, it would be a lengthy manual job.
XnView has a plugin (just copy the dll to XnView\Plugins) and batch processing.

This is for the old 32 bits XnView (2007) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
--> You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: High-Resolution Image Downloads of 2004 Scan? - ChenZheChina - 25-01-2019

(25-01-2019, 07:52 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.At the time, I could read and process them with Irfaniew. It required a dedicated Irfanview plugin but this worked quite well.

Thanks, René.

I’ll give it a try when I’m free.

By batch processing, do you mean batch converting? Like converting all files to PNG / JPEG at once?

(25-01-2019, 10:06 AM)nablator Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

XnView has a plugin (just copy the dll to XnView\Plugins) and batch processing.

This is for the old 32 bits XnView (2007) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
--> You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Thanks, Nablator.

I’ll give it a try when I’m free.

By batch processing, do you mean batch converting? Like converting all files to PNG / JPEG at once?

RE: High-Resolution Image Downloads of 2004 Scan? - nablator - 25-01-2019

(25-01-2019, 11:36 AM)ChenZheChina Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.By batch processing, do you mean batch converting? Like converting all files to PNG / JPEG at once?
Yes, and it's very user-friendly, In the Tools/Batch Processing dialog you select the image files and the output directory and format then click the "Go" button. There is a "Transformations" tab for additional processing: all filtering/processing tools can be selected there and applied in sequence. For a better readability I like to correct levels, the scans look washed out without any processing.

I've been using XnView "Classic" for about 10 years, and found it very useful for basic everyday viewing and editing purpose (resizing, rectangle crop/delete/copy, levels, color and contrast fixing, etc.) and batch processing+conversion.

RE: High-Resolution Image Downloads of 2004 Scan? - doranchak - 27-01-2019

I found a working command line tool that can convert SID to TIF and will try to mirror the resulting TIF files on my site as soon as I can.

RE: High-Resolution Image Downloads of 2004 Scan? - nablator - 27-01-2019

(27-01-2019, 12:32 PM)doranchak Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I found a working command line tool that can convert SID to TIF and will try to mirror the resulting TIF files on my site as soon as I can.
No need, they are already available online: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Actually (I just checked) these TIFs are not identical to the SIDs: the differences are around high contrast areas on the greyscale channel. Maybe the TIF mage were filtered (smoothed)?

RE: High-Resolution Image Downloads of 2004 Scan? - doranchak - 27-01-2019

(27-01-2019, 06:16 PM)nablator Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(27-01-2019, 12:32 PM)doranchak Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I found a working command line tool that can convert SID to TIF and will try to mirror the resulting TIF files on my site as soon as I can.
No need, they are already available online: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Ah, ok - well in case someone wants TIFs with the same file names as the original SIDs, my mirror is here:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Copies of the command line utilities for converting SID images are here: