The Voynich Ninja
Divine cloud + tent? - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Divine cloud + tent? (/thread-2562.html)

Divine cloud + tent? - Koen G - 21-11-2018

There are a few instances in the manuscript where cloud bands appear to be combined with what looks like tent parts (sectioned roof + finials). I wonder whether this might bear some relation to Exodus 40, wherein a tent is set up for the Tabernacle and the Lord descends upon the tent in the shape of a cloud.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

I got this idea when I came across this image in a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., depicting a tent upon which the Lord-as-cloud has descended. The manuscripts employs a different style of drawing clouds, but if the cloud band were used, it might look a lot like some of the VM images.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. "was the portable earthly dwelling place of Yahweh among the children of Israel from the time of the Exodus from Egypt through the conquering of the land of Canaan." This means that for an audience familiar with this story and the imagery, the invocation of the Tabernacle might signify a specific place, region or route. 

That's all I have so far.

RE: Divine cloud + tent? - -JKP- - 22-11-2018

These shapes have always looked like tents or canopies to me, but I've been reluctant to commit to the idea of cloudbands because so many medieval tents had dagged edges along the top perimeter. You can look at recreationist tents to see many examples in a variety of scalloped shapes, from simple to ornate:

Here are some scalloped tent edges from the Arthurian legends (French, 15th century, MS Fr. 343). Note also the litterae elongatae:

[Image: f176.highres]
[Image: f66.highres]
[Image: ab7b48e9-f6f1-4886-ba40-b754b61a6a18_1.8...nBg=FFFFFF]

It's also possible it's a simpler interpretation of a more complex pattern (note also the star on the helmet):

[Image: 6e409d29c9d3cae335dcdb15ee0a761c--heidel...script.jpg]

I know many tents have been posted in the past, but I don't know if anyone has posted canopies and many of the VMS tents seem to me to be more like canopies or "umbrella" tents, so here is an example of an umbrella-tent/canopy from Bodley Class.Lat.81 (Italy, c. 1460):

[Image: tentpic2.600.jpeg]
[Image: 86097afeeb328b961744dfb995f63018.jpg]

Canopies were commonly shown over thrones and this might be relevant since rulers promoted themselves a semi-divine (throne canopies are common in medieval manuscripts). If a "celestial" band were combined with a canopy (as is possible in the VMS), it would be in line with medieval thinking without necessarily having a biblical significance:

[Image: kimberley-throne.jpg] [Image: image13thronecanopy.jpg?w=529] [Image: 759df91f40601e27df6ad644d8e306f1--illumi...script.jpg]

Umbrella canopies were also associated with baptismal fonts (from Ms Français 2609, 15th c):

[Image: native.jpg]

[Image: 13544401.jpg] [Image: Meister_des_Hitda-Evangeliars_003a.jpg] [Image: 53f35eaa5dc47fa2306df18b9c2efb76--romane...dieval.jpg]

I think your example is a good one. It's just hard to know how the VMS illustrator was thinking about it. Is it a quick-draw interpretation of a corrugated shape or is there metaphorical significance as well, and if it is metaphorical, is it biblical, is it related to some divine rite (e.g., baptism) or is it a "divine" ruler?

I wanted to put this in a separate post... for the record, the Persian/eastern tents tend to have ruffles, tassels, and fringes (or plain-cut edges on patterned fabrics) rather than scalloped edges like the western tents. You can find a few with scalloped edges, of course, it's a fairly natural shape for ornamental fabric, but you have to hunt to find them:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.:

On the left, a straight edge and ruffled edge. On the right, it's either pleats or patterned fabric (usually it's patterned fabric when the edge is straight):

[Image: dae-10349329.jpg] [Image: art-oriental-various-shutterstock-editor...0804az.jpg]
[Image: dae-11120862.jpg]

RE: Divine cloud + tent? - Koen G - 22-11-2018

JKP you are back :')
Yeah I guess you are right. On the other hand, the pattern is also used in non-tent context in the VM. And there's often water emanating from them. And the tents are clearly metaphorical.

Some of the VMS tents have a grotto-like flavor to them.

Natural bathing resorts, the thermal-bath spas, were like camping spots. I think there might be a relationship between the two ideas, tents (camping) and grottoes (bathing)---at least for some of them. Since they are scattered in different spots, I'm not sure that's true for all of them. But tents were a part of life in those days, especially for the upper "mobility" (the mobile nobles). They were always on the move protecting their territories and "putting in an appearance" for their subjects.

RE: Divine cloud + tent? - davidjackson - 22-11-2018

Baptismal fonts were depicted with covers because that's how they came - in the 13th century they were ordered to be covered to prevent people from stealing the holy water. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. I posted a picture of a still exant cover from the UK.

RE: Divine cloud + tent? - bi3mw - 22-11-2018

Here is another example of "tent in the clouds".
[Image: tabernacle.png]

Weltchronik, Germany, Regensburg, ca. 1360, MS M.769, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Divine cloud + tent? - Koen G - 22-11-2018

Thanks bi3, I was unable to quickly locate more examples, though I'm sure they must exist. Still no cloud band so far, but the roof of that tent is quite like some of the VM "canopies".