The Voynich Ninja
The quest for Anchiton - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Provenance & history (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-44.html)
+--- Thread: The quest for Anchiton (/thread-2521.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: The quest for Anchiton - -JKP- - 28-10-2018

Triumphe van het heilig kruise Christi Jesu (1871):

[Image: AmacoLigni.png]

This...

"...quod autem addit pro similitudine de Amaco, non asserit Hieronimus ?er hoc quod sit lignum, sed ligno simile."

From my previous post:

ἀμίαντος/ἀμίαντον (amiantos/amianton) - clean, pure, unpolluted, undefiled

ἀμίαντος λίθος (amiantos lithos (stone/mineral)) asbestos (Aristotle, Pliny)

Thus, the first amianton could be used in the sense of undefiled in a prayer or concluding statement one would say after blessing/spiritually cleansing/consecrating a home:

Διατήρησον είς αιώνα αμίαντου τόνδε τον προσφάτως κεκαθαρισμένον οίκον.

Keep forever pure/undefiled this recently cleansed/purified/blessed home.

---

Thus "anchiton ola" - oil that has been blessed or is purified or is "virgin"* and...

anchiton ola dabas/dabat multos te te cere portas (blessed oil (or virgin oil) gave much to him to carry)

*"virgin" oil is oil from the first pressing, high quality light-colored oil that doesn't have a lot of sediment.

RE: The quest for Anchiton - Searcher - 28-10-2018

If someone missed:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: The quest for Anchiton - MarcoP - 28-10-2018

(28-10-2018, 06:56 PM)Searcher Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.If someone missed:

Thank you! I had missed that, as well as Anton's post about Anchiton in the earliest printed Glossa Ordinaria (1481):

Anton wrote:
Quote:There are some books dedicated to the history of this quite famous legend, but, to my knowledge, the most comprehensive one is by Andrew Runni Anderson, 1932, called "Alexander's Gate, Gog and Magog, and the Inclosed Nations". Its print-on-demand edition is available at Amazon for an affordable price of some ten USD, for those who are interested. This book is the continuation of an earlier paper by Anderson, 1928, called "Alexander at the Caspian Gates", which I still haven't chance of examining. What I describe below is mostly based on Anderson's book, so I omit references to Anderson for brevity.

The book You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. contains quotes of Anderson (1932) with original Greek word ασύγχυτον and, possibly!, his transliteration "asiceton". Unfortunately, the original word in Greek is not available to see in the original publication of Anderson, but his transliteration is "asokiton" (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., 1932) or "asoketon" (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.). Surprisingly, [font=Arial]ασύγχυτον is not unknown Greek word, it means "unconfused".[/font]
[font=Arial]I really understand nothing![/font]

The word "ασύγχυτον" made me muse about its construction. What if the correct part for the word "anchiton" is not χητων or χητον, but You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. - fused, liquid, melted? So, I checked how ασύγχυτον can be deconstructed. It consists of: [You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.][You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.][You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.], i. e., [un-][-con-][-fused]. Naturally, αχυτον must mean "unfused" , actually it means "infusible", as You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  says (look Α'χυτος). It is still not "anchiton", but I find interesting that in medical lexicon (1688) was used word You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. with meaning "infusion", written in Greek - εγχυτον [[i][font=Arial]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.][-[i][font=Arial]χυτον][/font][/i][/i].[/font]

(28-10-2018, 11:00 PM)Searcher Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....but I find interesting that in medical lexicon (1688) was used word You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. with meaning "infusion", written in Greek - εγχυτον [[i][font=Arial]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.][-[i][font=Arial]χυτον][/font][/i][/i].[/font]

Shy

RE: The quest for Anchiton - Koen G - 29-10-2018

I'm confused how they get to the n sound.

The You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. name Anchisaurus comes from the Greek αγχι/agkhi anchi-; "near, close" + Greek σαυρος/sauros; "lizard".

RE: The quest for Anchiton - ReneZ - 29-10-2018

The gamma takes a 'ng' sound in this context.

RE: The quest for Anchiton - Searcher - 29-10-2018

I found that quite rare Greek "antiketon"  means "invincible". While I'm not sure whether it is supposed to be incorrect spelling of "aniketon" or it is a synonym of this word with an accidentally similar spelling,  let say, meaning "antifused".