The Voynich Ninja
Days of creation / Scivias (Hildegard) - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Days of creation / Scivias (Hildegard) (/thread-2453.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Days of creation / Scivias (Hildegard) - bi3mw - 01-11-2021

(01-11-2021, 02:42 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Apparently the third book is the one that was most widely circulated in the Middle Ages, but I am unable to find a freely available English translation.

Here I have at least a Latin / German translation of the texts to the miniatures of the complete Scivias ( from page 14 on ). Unfortunately, you can not copy & paste the text into the translator. Those who cannot read German but have a good knowledge of Latin can read the original texts or translate them into their native language.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

edit: Under Linux, you can use OCR software to create a version of the downloaded file that can be copied and pasted:

Example:
sudo apt-get install ocrmypdf
ocrmypdf --output-type pdf b038372.pdf b038372_OCR.pdf

RE: Days of creation / Scivias (Hildegard) - bi3mw - 01-11-2021

I have uploaded the OCR version of the file (Umlauts must be corrected if necessary) :

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Days of creation / Scivias (Hildegard) - CaryR - 01-11-2021

(01-11-2021, 12:28 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.If I am not mistaken, then on folio 225r (plate 33) Christ is shown sitting and surrounded by a mandorla. If this interpretation is correct, then there is at least one clear representation with this symbolism in the Scivas (Book I).
There is also plate 19, showing "the ruler of all" seated within a mandorla that appears to have a starry blue background (not as clearly starry as some other illustrations, but there are definitely some white dotted patterns there). So it's clear Hildegard was inspired by this popular motif, which can be found in many other sources, and at the same time she also created her own variations on this symbolism with meanings specific to her own visions.

RE: Days of creation / Scivias (Hildegard) - bi3mw - 02-11-2021

(28-10-2021, 09:47 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I am preparing a new blog post with Cary,...

@CaryR: Could you give an example how you interpret the Hildegard symbolism in connection with the VMS ? Or do I have to be patient until you publish the blog post with Koen ?

RE: Days of creation / Scivias (Hildegard) - CaryR - 03-11-2021

(02-11-2021, 01:11 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.@CaryR: Could you give an example how you interpret the Hildegard symbolism in connection with the VMS ? Or do I have to be patient until you publish the blog post with Koen ?

Well, the blog post is not going to specifically focus on Hildegard, but we may bring in an example or two. I don't think that Hildegard's imagery directly influenced the VMS necessarily, but I do think there could be a shared sphere of influence, drawn both from popular aspects of Christian iconography as well as those more connected with Christian mysticism. 

Hildegard copied widely popular iconography such as Christ in a mandorla, and at the same time she created original imagery with symbolism specific to her own visions, like in Scivias plate 4, "universe". But even her more original and abstract imagery still shows recognizable signs of Christian influence (even just visually, without reading her accompanying explanations). I noticed that a starry mandorla shape is often used as a background that frames Christ in a variety of scenes (from many medieval art sources, not just Hildegard). Especially since Hildegard herself also drew "the ruler of all" sitting in a starry mandorla on plate 19, I thought it likely that Hildegard was aware of these associations when she designed the "universe" image. 

In the example of the VM's lower left rosette, I think the visual resemblance to Hildegard's "universe", and to her starry mandorla-shaped sky on plate 34, "the new heaven and the new earth" might suggest some connection, not to Hildegard specifically, but with the wider use of this motif.  

Anything more specific will have to wait until the post is written up  Smile