The Voynich Ninja
Nymph Body Types - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Nymph Body Types (/thread-2442.html)

Nymph Body Types - -JKP- - 27-07-2018

The body type of the nymphs is sometimes referred to as "pear-shaped", plus most women are pear-shaped when pregnant.

Here's an example of a pear-shaped body from Barb.lat.487:

RE: Nymph Body Types - DONJCH - 27-07-2018

About the only one that departs from the stereotype is the one Koen identifies as Capricorn/Philomela (f80r top right)
She's the only hot one in the bunch and stands out by actually having a waist.

RE: Nymph Body Types - Koen G - 30-07-2018

I agree that the nymphs' curves need not mean that they are pregnant, it may just have been "normal" for the maker. And as you show, one needn't look far to find parallels. Any type of imagery that features nude people will do.

[Image: d7ac465b1a1535e32b54da022d84108a.jpg]

As in the example above, nude people in Medieval art are often "souls" or embodiments, both of which wear no clothes to illustrate their disconnection from the mortal world. But the "why" of the nymphs' nudity is a separate question.

Now to get back to body shape, there's more going on though. Many of the nymphs, with their large heads, stocky build and bumpy legs, have more in common with children than adults. Especially if you filter out those breasts that were added later. 

Then on the other hand, they may be a derivation of a certain style of drawing the naked body which was already present in Carolingian works, but also in many later examples. This one from early 14thC Flanders. Note how not much change is required before you are unable to tell male from female.

[Image: 0b4d54d471a036a9d40b388b815591e6.jpg]

And then there's the absurd "rules" the VM nymphs follow. It's a complex matter and I'm far from understanding it well.

RE: Nymph Body Types - Koen G - 30-07-2018

This body type is also often found in late Antiquity, especially in certain Roman provinces. 

[Image: 2a038e7521058636e2808177fafef549.jpg]

4th century Roman mosaic panel of the Goddess Venus from Ulules (Elles), Tunisia.

RE: Nymph Body Types - -JKP- - 30-07-2018

That mosaic is a good example.

As for the proportions and age of the nymphs, I've often pondered over that. Many people were short in the Middle Ages, usually for nutritional reasons. Doorways and built-in beds in 17th century buildings are often too small for current statures. Overall proportions may have changed among classes that were undernourished in various ways. Even if they had enough to eat, they may not have had enough of certain nutrients (not enough variety).

I think there is a distinction between grown women and young women in the VMS. In the "cycle" style pics around the Pisces symbol, there are young girls (slender, no breasts, short hair) who appear to be evolving into shapelier women.

[Image: CycleofLife.jpg]

The horizontal barrels reminded me of coffins. If that's what they symbolize, it would be appropriate for Pisces, since one of the things it represents is the bridge between life and death.

Something I didn't mark on these is that the first baby bump might be pic #5. Girls were married off in their early teens and often pregnant by the time they were fully adolexcent.

RE: Nymph Body Types - Anton - 30-07-2018

As an offtopic side note, Pisces 11 o'clock is very interesting - the back-to-back barrels/nymphs. Did not notice that until JKP posted these clips.