The Voynich Ninja
The Origin of [sh] - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: The Origin of [sh] (/thread-2440.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: The Origin of [sh] - -JKP- - 30-07-2018

It doesn't have to be a full bench to have a "cap":

RE: The Origin of [sh] - MarcoP - 07-08-2018

(24-07-2018, 09:59 PM)Emma May Smith Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I guess we all agree that the lower part of Sh is the same as ch? And that the only difference is the 'plume', 'hat', topstroke, whatever you want to call it?

I believe that the "hat" appears (three times, lines 6, 14 and 21) as an individual glyph in the vertical sequence on the left side of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. In the Zandbergen-Landini transcription, it is represented as extended EVA 140.
This could possibly count as evidence for Sh being ch+something (whatever the function of the hat is).

RE: The Origin of [sh] - -JKP- - 07-08-2018

In Latin scribal conventions, when the reverse-c shape is in-line with the rest of the text (not superscripted), it means something different from the apostrophe "cap" shape (the curved macron). It is the 13th-century form of "con", but a few scribes were still using it in the late 15th century (see example c. 1479).

Here are some examples. Sometimes it is quite smooth and round, but I'm too tired to dig up a good example right now, these are a bit more angular but hopefully good enough to illustrate the basic use of the shape:

[Image: Reverse-C.png]

It is similar in meaning to EVA-y at the beginning of words (con/com) but more specific (usually con). It was fading away by the later 14th century and was replaced by the EVA-y shape (it looks more specifically like the number 9). In fact, if the tail of the reverse-c is lengthened, it resembles EVA-y, as can be seen by some of the examples. The transitional shape was a more open "9" shape (in-between a reverse-c and a "9" char).

You can see from the examples that include both the reverse-c at the beginnings and the EVA-y shape at the ends (sometimes superscripted) that they used to make more of a distinction between the two shapes. Eventually they didn't do this any more and used EVA-y both beginning and end.

Note also the many apostrophes: macrons, curved macrons (caps), "smoke" apostrophes, all very common.

The Tacuinum Sanitatis script uses the reverse-c abbreviation with regularity. If I remember correctly, it is the Veneto/Lombardy version (c. 1450) that does so.

-----------------
Edit [additional picture]:

[Image: ReverseCExamples.png]

RE: The Origin of [sh] - Wladimir D - 07-08-2018

Posted by MarcoP
 Marco/    This could possibly count as evidence for Sh being ch+something (whatever the function of the hat is).

I have a similar understanding, in addition, except for the shown, it is necessary not to forget that the apostrophe is used independently as a labelYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  , and also there is a code 164 V101 (twice per 49v ) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: The Origin of [sh] - -JKP- - 07-08-2018

As an example, I grabbed a word from a Latin document that includes both reverse-c shapes 1) in-line, beginning of word, and 2) superscripted:

[Image: TwoReverseC.png]

RE: The Origin of [sh] - Wladimir D - 16-08-2018

Below are examples of "words" broken down into several groups that combine "words" with certain characteristics. Elements (component parts) of these examples take part in EVA-sh.
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]     [/font]
I group. - a compound line (1, 2),
- Is the horizontal line in examples 3, 4, 5 just a connecting line?
- I have big doubts that in examples 6-9 the apostrophe is written over EVA-h. This opinion follows from the ІІ group.
- There are examples of self-writing a horizontal line with an apostrophe (10-12).
ІІІ group
Writing EVA-e with a gap. Since the "e" in this case is omitted, it seems to be added at the last moment when they wrote a line (17), "h" (18-20) or a long bench (21), EVA-I left foot of this bench .
In example 21, the bracket is also added to the already written bench.
 IV group - The apostrophe is written not only over the benches!
V group - writing EVA-c & h with a touch of the gallows. Of particular interest are 36, 37, since there is no continuation of the line inside the gallows.
VІ group
Strange ligatures. Moreover, the ligature 43 is not taken into account either in the expanded EVA, neither in V101, nor in the Jim Reeds table. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Strange ligature 45. I met three such cases, but I publish this one, since three elementary strokes are clearly visible here.
VІІ group - horizontal line
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]     [/font]

VІІІ group is a point (blot) in the left or right foot of the bench, and it is smaller in height than EVA-e ©. If it's just a blot, then why does the left foot of the bench turn into a blot 30 times more often than the right foot, despite the fact that the pen movements are the same. In this case, the ratio should be close to 1: 1.
The ІX group is EVA-o and the point (blot) in one "word" (58, 59, 60). The height of the point (blots) is also less than "o".
Point with an apostrophe (28, 29).
If we consider these groups as a system of equations with a large number of unknowns, then the private decision (explanation) of the system is that the bench sh can consist of separate (independent) symbols "e", "i", "-", "•" and an apostrophe .
The location of the apostrophe (in the beginning, in the middle, in the end of the bench) can indicate both the specific character missing in the main line and indicate that there are no symbols (after the first "e" or "•", after "-", after the second " e "or" • ").