The Voynich Ninja
[Blog Post] New M. Hoffmann "solution" to VMS - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Blog Post] New M. Hoffmann "solution" to VMS (/thread-2390.html)

Pages: 1 2

New M. Hoffmann "solution" to VMS - -JKP- - 30-05-2018

A new Voynich decoding was posted on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

I don't want to hijack the entire message from Nick's blog, so I'll quote only the first section from folio 1r until forumites have seen it on Nick's site in its original form. According to Hoffman, this is what it says:

fa ea re der reo et re que mure a ea at est id errat ur eam re. dat re os et ater re it ea que usu ne tex te set es et meus.der e ut uni re rate re reum unam es a etam es ed met eum der. da usa qui i re a qui ad te a a quer es e at meum aleum ales. dexter ea i et es eum em at eo eum. rem et ex ur re.

I only have time to glance through it, but as far as I can see, it's another substitution solution. I'm writing this in haste, I have to go, so please don't rely on my glance-analysis, check out the original on Nick's blog, but it looks to me like he is substituting as follows...

EVA   Transliteration
------  -----------------
or         at
y          re/er
d          m
f           f
a           a
s            d
ch          ea

etc., that is hopefully enough to give the flavor of it.

Opinions welcome (I'll keep mine to myself for now).

RE: New Hoffmann "solution" to VMS - Anton - 30-05-2018

It's worth adding that this "solution" is by Michael Hoffmann (not by Don who used to be a member of our forum).

RE: New Hoffmann "solution" to VMS - Koen G - 30-05-2018

Simple substitution eh, are people still doing those? That's so 2016 Big Grin

RE: New Hoffmann "solution" to VMS - Anton - 30-05-2018

(30-05-2018, 03:29 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Simple substitution eh, are people still doing those? That's so 2016 Big Grin

at est id errat

RE: New Hoffmann "solution" to VMS - Koen G - 30-05-2018

Googlum Translatum non Voynichum solvere.

RE: New Hoffmann "solution" to VMS - Searcher - 30-05-2018

(30-05-2018, 04:55 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Googlum Translatum non Voynichum solvere.

Big Grin Cool

RE: New Hoffmann "solution" to VMS - -JKP- - 30-05-2018

(30-05-2018, 02:46 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.It's worth adding that this "solution" is by Michael Hoffmann (not by Don who used to be a member of our forum).

Thanks, Anton. I've added his initial to the subject header to help prevent confusion.

(30-05-2018, 04:55 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Googlum Translatum non Voynichum solvere.

LOL! Yes.

Short syllables with a generous sprinkling of vowels (even nonsense syllables) will always be interpreted as mostly readable text (especially in Romance languages and in Arabic) by Google Translate, which is designed to make "good guesses" about what the writer might have meant.

I don't know for certain that Hoffman used Google Translate, but I strongly suspect he did.

RE: New M. Hoffmann "solution" to VMS - Koen G - 30-05-2018

In my experience, simple substitution and google translate are the bread and butter of current solutions that manage to bring forth strings of pseudo-coherent words.

I also don't know what Hoffman did but his transcriptions look like nonsense magic spells. It seems like he picks out a few words he can "translate" and then guesses the meaning of the page based on those.

RE: New M. Hoffmann "solution" to VMS - -JKP- - 30-05-2018

(30-05-2018, 09:25 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.... It seems like he picks out a few words he can "translate" and then guesses the meaning of the page based on those.

I'm worried that might be the case and that Google Translate might be providing the fodder.

Just to test a hunch, I fed some of it into Google Translate and tried several languages. Google Translate gave parts of each one a reasonably coherent translation, each one different. But one can see, just by looking at the sample text above that it is not Latin, Italian, Spanish, Catalan or Romanian in terms of vocabulary and CERTAINLY not in terms of grammar.

M. Hoffman's transliteration:

fa ea re der reo et re que mure a ea at est id errat ur eam re. dat re os et ater re it ea que usu ne tex te set es et meus.der e ut uni re rate re reum unam es a etam es ed met eum der. da usa qui i re a qui ad te a a quer es e at meum aleum ales. dexter ea i et es eum em at eo eum. rem et ex ur re.

Google Translate Latin:

fa-saving der accused and that the mouse is a reality but it is what it really ur mistakes. the mouth, blackened by the things that are in reality are not to be re it gives to thee, but thou art, and my tex. was guilty of a thing to this one and that one are a der e even of rate you are re ed met him, der. I use to give the reality that you're out of the oak but is aleum bird. You are right in the first and the fact that em at it. a thing, and from ur re.

Same text in Galician:

Does the re ree you re that I am at the same time is id errat ur e re re. This is where you will find your own and what is your tex texte set et my.der e ut re re reum re unam is a etam es ed met eum der. do you use who i re to whom ad you want is e at meum aleum ales. dexter ea i you are eum me at eum. rem et ex ur re.

Same text in Bosnian:

a ea re der reo et re que mure a ea at est id errat ur eam re. This is the reason why it's not a good idea to set up this and meus.er e uni re re re re re reum unam es et et es met eum der. to usa qui i re qui ad te a quer es e meu aleum ales. dexter ea i et es eum em at eo eum. Rem et ex ur re.

Corsican:

Does the re ree you re that I am at the same time is id errat ur e re re. This is where you will find your own and what is your tex texte set et my.der e ut re re reum re unam is a etam es ed met eum der. do you use who i re to whom ad you want is e at meum aleum ales. dexter ea i you are eum me at eum. rem et ex ur re.

Danish:

It's a good idea to get rid of your eam re. That's what we're going to do, and it's a good idea to see you and me. You're out of the world and you're going to be there. as we are looking forward to finding a good deal. dexter ea in an es e em em eo eum. Rem et ex ur re.

[This one really amuses me, since Danish is one of the languages I can read and write. There's not a bit of actual Danish in the Hoffman transliteration, but Google Translate morphed it into a significant amount of text. If this were actually Danish, the part that is translated as, "It's a good idea to get rid of your eam re." would actually be written something like this:

Det er tilrådeligt at slippe af med din "eam re",
which does not at all resemble "fa ea re der reo et re que mure a ea at est id errat ur eam re.".

Frisian:

but it is the reo and the remainder that you have ever seen. that's all right and it's all the same, and it's not going to be it. It is a very unrealistic way to get it done with it. da usa qui i re a qui ad te a a quer es e at meum aleum ales. dexter ea i et et eum em at eo eum. rem et ex ur re.

Georgian :

[i]fa ea re re reo and rewrite at the point where it is. That reassures me and does not do it with me and is set to me. There is an average rate of return for a re-earning da usa qui i qua ad te a a quer es e meum aleum ales. dexter ea i es es eum eum eum. rem et ex ur re.

Gujarati [probably my favorite]:

It's a matter of reverberation and rewards that you have a problem with it. dat re os et aert re it i have a tex te set te es et meus Were you going to re-enter it again in an etymology? I just want to know what to do if I have a lot of money. I want to know you at rem et ago ur re

Hawaiian:

You'll be able to find out what's going on and what's going to happen to you. be sure you're not sure that you're not texting and doing it. After all, your recipe is refined. the user you have been asked to ask you at this site. get rid of i and e e em em e eum. rem and ex ur.

Hindi [note that this is the same as the Google Translate result for Gujarati]:

It's a matter of reverberation and rewards that you have a problem with it. dat re os et aert re it i have a tex te set te es et meus Were you going to re-enter it again in an etymology? I just want to know what to do if I have a lot of money. I want to know you at rem et ago ur re

Hmong [this Google translation deserves a special prize]:

Please note that there are no items that can not be reused. and then click on the button and select the item you want. You are welcome to read more about this product. or you can call me at the address below. dexter ea e es eum em at eo eum. rem et ex ur re.

Icelandic:

It's a good idea to get rid of your eam re. That's what we're talking about, and it's a good idea. There is an unprecedented repercussion on the matter with others. as we are looking forward to finding a good deal. dexter ea in an es e em em eo eum. Rem et ex ur re.

Igbo [I'm laughing so hard I can't stop, "make sure you're not texting and doing it"]:

You'll be able to find out what's going on and what's going to happen to you. be sure you're not sure that you're not texting and doing it. After all, your recipe is refined. the user you have been asked to ask you at this site. get rid of i and e e em em e eum. rem and ex ur.

Irish:

fa ea re der reo et re que mure a ea at est id errat ur eam re. Give it to you and the other things that you use and do not use you. der e ut uni re rate re reum unam es a etam es ed met eum der. Give us who are the ones who are from you who are from me to my guys. Dexter it and you're going to him on him. rem et ex ur re.

Kannada:

If you do not want to re-enter it and this is wrong then you will not. That's it and you're using it and you're ready to use it. Since then we will re-react to the re-emergence of our money. da usa qui i re a qui a quer es e my me ale ales ales. dexter and i want to be at ease. rem et ex re.

Khmer:

We went back and did what was right at the end of the day. It is important that you use it and set it up. der e ut un re re re um reum unam es a etam es ed met eum der. da usa who i have to tell you at meum aleum ales. dexter ea i et esum em at eo eum. rem and ex ur re.

Kurdish:

This is a re-e-mail and a re-mure a e at at id errat e e-mail. It's ok and ater it's ea que usu ne tex te set es et meus. The rate of utility with the rate of rectangular value is met with e-mail. To make sure that your quota is based on our average volume. The dexter is an e-em em in eo eum. rem et ex ur re.

Luxembourgish [the Hoffman text is clearly not Germanic but GT gave this]:

but it is the reo and the remainder that you have ever seen. that's all right and it's all the same, and it's not going to be it. It is a very unrealistic way to get it done with it. da usa qui i re a qui ad te a a quer es e at meum aleum ales. dexter ea i et et eum em at eo eum. rem et ex ur re.

Maori [!!]:

Norwegian:

It's a good idea to get rid of your eam re. That's what we're talking about, and it's a good idea. There is an unprecedented repercussion on the matter with others. as we are looking forward to finding a good deal. dexter ea in an es e em em eo eum. Rem et ex ur re.

Well, that's enough to get the idea across. Give it nonsense and Google Translate is happy to provide a creative answer.

RE: New M. Hoffmann "solution" to VMS - Anton - 30-05-2018

Thanks JKP, this one I like best:

"be sure you're not sure that you're not texting and doing it."

That should be rule number one of a Voynich researcher. Big Grin