The Voynich Ninja
[Book] Unraveling the Voynich Codex - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Book] Unraveling the Voynich Codex (/thread-2388.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Unraveling the Voynich Codex - -JKP- - 08-09-2018

Purdue news release:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Unraveling the Voynich Codex - Anton - 08-09-2018

The Russian Wikipedia page suggests that Purdue is one of the "most prestigious" universities in the States.

But they are apparently following Springer in their run towards success. A greasy road.

RE: Unraveling the Voynich Codex - Koen G - 10-09-2018

With all the academic chest-thumping, I wonder if we shouldn't write some kind of joint response. A concise and to the point rebuttal of their main points and exposure of the most problematic aspects with their approach in general. Although they ride under the flag of high academia, they wear the recognizable garb of the VM theorist.

The only thing that's holding me back is that everything to do with this book feels like a waste of time.

RE: Unraveling the Voynich Codex - VViews - 10-09-2018

I agree Koen Gh, however I think that, this being academia, our response will have little impact if it isn't supported by other academics.
It would be amazing if we could convince some of the academics who have written about the Voynich to join in on such a rebuttal. I wonder whether Yale's conservators could weigh in too?

RE: Unraveling the Voynich Codex - Anton - 10-09-2018

What exactly do you mean by "academics"? Members of national academies of science? If not, then many people here have academic degrees, e.g. I hold a Ph.D. equivalent (Russian "candidate of science" degree). It's not in any field of medieval studies, but rather in telecommunications, but why not, given that this book is not written by people specializing in that field neither.

But I don't think it's worth the effort. One who wants to have some arguments or opinions may visit our forum (which I think is quite recognizable by now),  read all the argument here and decide for him/her-self.

RE: Unraveling the Voynich Codex - Hubert Dale - 10-09-2018

"The text remains untranslated, but the authors write that it appears to be a synthetic language, as predicted by William Friedman, or possibly a mutually known language used in written communication by Aztec traders."

I don't want to break this site's regulations about flaming, but if this is a fair reflection of the authors' success in making sense of the text then I can only hope they're better at recognising armadillos.

Incidentally, I wonder whether it was the sixteenth century Spanish scribe or the 'Aztec traders' who included the German marginalia, German/French colour indicators and Southern French month names?

RE: Unraveling the Voynich Codex - -JKP- - 10-09-2018

Probably the best response to their seminars and written assertions is to continue to study and describe the VMS, point-by-point, until the accumulated knowledge reveals who was doing real research, who was making informed guesses, and who was simply making it up.

RE: Unraveling the Voynich Codex - -JKP- - 11-09-2018

More news releases. I feel like I'm watching a group of academics in an inflatable boat that has a slow leak they simply don't see...

RE: Unraveling the Voynich Codex - Helmut Winkler - 11-09-2018

(11-09-2018, 06:06 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.More news releases. I feel like I'm watching a group of academics in an inflatable boat that has a slow leak they simply don't see...

451: Unavailable due to legal reasons

We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. or call You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

RE: Unraveling the Voynich Codex - -JKP- - 11-09-2018

Helmut, I can't copy the whole article, but much of it is just background on the VMS.

There is a picture of Flaherty at the top and in the middle it says this:

"
Jules Janick, professor of horticulture at Purdue University, and Arthur O. Tucker, emeritus herbarium director at Delaware State University, collaborated to put the puzzle pieces together and discover the origin of the book once and for all.

Elizabeth A. Flaherty, a Purdue professor of wildlife ecology and habitat management, and Fernando Moreira, a Canadian linguist, joined Janick and Tucker to contribute their research to create “Unraveling the Voynich Codex,” a book that was recently released by Springer Nature.

The authors were able to identify much of the flora and fauna depicted in the manuscript as native to the New World, including sixty types of plants and twelve species of animals. The book’s combination of these particular species and the use of vellum (the type of parchment on which the text was printed) suggests that the manuscript is younger than originally supposed.

“Simply put, there is no way a manuscript written on vellum that contains a sunflower and an armadillo could have been written before 1492,” Janick said in an interview with Purdue News.
..."