The Voynich Ninja
[Book] Unraveling the Voynich Codex - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Book] Unraveling the Voynich Codex (/thread-2388.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Unraveling the Voynich Codex - -JKP- - 30-08-2018

An audio recording of Janick's 2016 talk is available here:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Tucker's presentation:

Flaherty's presentation:

Janick on Iconography:

RE: Unraveling the Voynich Codex - ReneZ - 30-08-2018

(29-08-2018, 05:14 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.One more fundamental mistake, I'm sorry to say - to interpret critique as hostility.

Let alone it's not correct to contrapose internet community to academics, since for sure nowadays many academics enjoy internet no less than other people.

Anton, what you say is right, but criticism coming from fellow academics tends to be phrased in certain ways, and what has come from the internet Voynich community certainly includes a fair amount of hostility.

The paragraph quoted by Doranchak also clearly indicates what would be the fate of Koen's blog entry if its tone is a bit on the sharp side.
I suspect that this paragraph was added precisely for the purpose of being able to put a 'hostile amateur' stamp on such comments on the book, with the aim of disqualifying these from serious discussion.

RE: Unraveling the Voynich Codex - Anton - 30-08-2018

Quote:Anton, what you say is right, but criticism coming from fellow academics tends to be phrased in certain ways, and what has come from the internet Voynich community certainly includes a fair amount of hostility.

Talk in the internet can be notably harsh in general, this is an interesting phenomenon (and I'm certain it's being investigated and somehow explained by science), but it's not specific just to "Voynich" internet community in particular. They do not contrapose "hostility" of the internet to "friendliness" of academics. Instead, with this phrase, they implicitly substitute "hostility" for "profanity" and it is opposition of "enlightenment" of academia to "profanity" of the internet that blatantly rings here. I can't welcome that.

Thus, when you say that

Quote:I suspect that this paragraph was added precisely for the purpose of being able to put a 'hostile amateur' stamp on such comments on the book, with the aim of disqualifying these from serious discussion.

it's basically the same consideration of mine put in different words.

RE: Unraveling the Voynich Codex - Koen G - 07-09-2018

Published yesterday:

Quote:Researchers previously assumed the Voynich Codex to be a 15th century European manuscript, reinforced by carbon dating of the vellum but not the text. However, the book’s last chapter includes contrary evidence, including the previously ignored botanical and animal information, which identifies the manuscript to be of New World origin.

Angry

They think the artist is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., who was physically unable to draw a line without also drawing one or two Jesuses.

Anyway, I'm not going to spend too much time reviewing this thing, I've been putting all my research time in the Alsatian connection. Us amateurs got to do what we can..

RE: Unraveling the Voynich Codex - DONJCH - 07-09-2018

(30-08-2018, 12:18 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Quote:Anton, what you say is right, but criticism coming from fellow academics tends to be phrased in certain ways, and what has come from the internet Voynich community certainly includes a fair amount of hostility.

Talk in the internet can be notably harsh in general, this is an interesting phenomenon (and I'm certain it's being investigated and somehow explained by science), but it's not specific just to "Voynich" internet community in particular. They do not contrapose "hostility" of the internet to "friendliness" of academics. Instead, with this phrase, they implicitly substitute "hostility" for "profanity" and it is opposition of "enlightenment" of academia to "profanity" of the internet that blatantly rings here. I can't welcome that.

Thus, when you say that

Quote:I suspect that this paragraph was added precisely for the purpose of being able to put a 'hostile amateur' stamp on such comments on the book, with the aim of disqualifying these from serious discussion.

it's basically the same consideration of mine put in different words.

Ah, the smug and ill-deserved superiority complex of academia.

Yet when they deign to consider the VMS at all, they get it so badly wrong.

This book is intellectually unfair in every paragraph I read so far. I randomly selected p.92 where they suggest You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. is a hybrid drawing of Psacalium and Pippenalia, where "the artist pained a combined image based on two species mixed together". Then in the very next sentence they say it is "most definitely not" Stolfi's suggestion of Helianthus annuus since some parts don't match the plant. So if Stolfi had said "it's a hybrid image of H. annuus combined with [random plant that explains the leaves]", then it would have been a good counterargument?

RE: Unraveling the Voynich Codex - Anton - 07-09-2018

Quote:They think the artist is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., who was physically unable to draw a line without also drawing one or two Jesuses.

But Juan Gerson died in 1429, how could that be (from the perspective of the New-World-story)?

RE: Unraveling the Voynich Codex - -JKP- - 07-09-2018

(07-09-2018, 12:02 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Quote:They think the artist is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., who was physically unable to draw a line without also drawing one or two Jesuses.

But Juan Gerson died in 1429, how could that be (from the perspective of the New-World-story)?

If they're not concerned about identifying a plant as one that doesn't even grow in MesoAmerica, then I guess they probably won't be concerned about those pesky incompatible dates either.

I'm super busy right now (very frustrating), so I've only had moments to look at some of the linguistic decodings but, as far as I can tell so far (and I might be wrong), whenever it doesn't work in Nahuatl, they take parts out of the word and decode them in Spanish. Now... if it were a New World text from that time period, that could actually happen (mixed Náhuatl and Spanish) but... it might also be an excuse for the text not decoding naturally into Náhuatl. I'm reserving judgment on it until I have more time to study it, which might not be for a few weeks.

Anton, this one is a different Juan Gerson, see for example You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Quote:In the mid-16th century a native Mexican painter, baptised Juan Gerson after the fiery medieval preacher John Gerson, created an extraordinary cycle of paintings for the Franciscan church of Tecamachalco, in what is now the state of Puebla.

There is absolutely zero reason to assume that the VM was drawn by an indigenous Mexican artist who specialized in Biblical imagery.

RE: Unraveling the Voynich Codex - -JKP- - 07-09-2018

A VMS photo gallery based on the authors' identifications has been added to the website of the Agriculture Department at Purdue: