The Voynich Ninja
No text, but a visual code - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: No text, but a visual code (/thread-2384.html)

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 13-10-2022

Like Lego or Like Tetris, what comes to mind is the idea of something artificially constructed or that is being built following logical principles. It's a lot like William Friedman's conclusion about Voynich as a universal synthetic language.

I think that not much attention has been paid to this conclusion by one of the great VM researchers of the 20th century. Although it is an anachronistic idea for the fifteenth century, it has the virtue of enhancing the value of glyphs as semantic units by themselves.

Friedman believed in a linguistic solution. I think it is an iconic system, with glyphs that are astronomical-astrological symbols structured following a logic.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 16-10-2022

To tell the truth, I do not think that the understanding of the Voynich is within the reach of anyone, not even someone very specialized in a subject. I have been studying the book for several years and I have some idea of what it is, but I think that explaining it in an understandable way would need a book of no less than 500 pages.

Of course, I may be wrong in my solution, but I think I can make these three statements: it is a genuine book, its content is astrological, and it is an important stepping stone in the history of science.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 20-10-2022

It is possible that what I said before could be misunderstood. No one seriously now regards astrology as a science. What must be taken into account is that it was a university science in the fifteenth century. The forecasts were based on angular relationships between celestial objects, and this connection with geometry is what makes it a stepping stone to science.

I believe that the Voynich script is an attempt at a universal language. In my opinion, the use of astronomical-astrological symbols has that meaning that links it with science. Do not forget that for Galileo, nature, the cosmos, was a book written in mathematical language.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 27-10-2022

My theory about the script (which is an astronomical-astrological symbol system) is based on my iconographic reading of the book. If this were not correct, my theory would not make sense.

We don't know what the glyphs of the script are, but we all know what a plant, the moon or a star is and we see many of these images in the VM. My iconographic reading of the book is simple: those rare herbs with medicinal virtues that we see can grow somewhere on Earth because they are produced by the stars. The most difficult iconographic problem is of course the female figures in Quire 13. To me they are astral spirits, which is Panofsky's opinion.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 04-11-2022

I just want to remind everyone that in the Voynich script we do not see any letter of any alphabet. We see glyphs, that is, invented signs whose meaning we do not know.

Any transliteration of the glyphs, be it the Eva alphabet or any other, can be a useful tool for analysis, but it is an adulteration of reality. The Voynich authors have been able to give the glyphs their own meaning without having to substitute anything for them. This is something that few people take into account.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 13-11-2022

Reading the abstracts of the Voynich Conference what is surprising is that, with few exceptions, all the interventions refer to the script. 

In my opinion, it is absolutely impossible to know what the script is before interpreting the images of the book in an integral way. It's just going blind.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 20-11-2022

In my opinion, the Voynich is a closed door and Quire 13 is the key that opens the door. Once it is understood what the female figures in Quire 13 are, a giant step will have been taken because the script will no longer be a mystery.

I hope that one day some university will hold a conference on the Voynich devoted exclusively to its iconography.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 04-12-2022

I believe that whoever approaches the Voynich should ask himself this question: What does this book mean? Based on the iconography, there are two types of response: the first is to think that it is a kind of medieval encyclopedia and the second is that it is a book with a unit of meaning.

If I thought that it was a kind of encyclopedia that deals with various unconnected things, I think the book would have ceased to interest me a long time ago. But no, I defend with total conviction that the Voynich iconography, as a whole, says a single message: celestial influences are what create those rare plants that we see.

This is the only way, I think, to understand how such a unique type of script could be created.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 11-12-2022

Folio 57v is a good source of suggestions about the structure of the script. As we all know, there are four rings with glyphs and in one of them the series of glyphs is repeated in the same order, something unique in the entire Voynich. It is also unique that we see symbols that do not appear anywhere else.

But it seems even more curious to me that in the other rings there are separate, single glyphs that do not form a group. Free glyphs alternate with groups, vords.

Everything seems to indicate that the grouping of the glyphs is something secondary and that the symbols have value by themselves.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 19-12-2022

One of the greatest proofs of the interdependence of all the sections of the book are the zodiacal pages. The signs of Capricorn and Aquarius are missing. That is to say, the signs of winter when most of the plants lack flower. And what we see in the Voynich are mostly flowering plants.

To explain the lack of these zodiac signs, some argue that the pages were lost or someone tore them out at some point. I just believe that those signs were never drawn. And the proof of this is that the author doubled the signs of Aries and Taurus for two reasons: so that there would continue to be twelve signs and because it is in spring when plants bloom. Aries and Taurus, therefore, have more importance than the rest of the signs.