The Voynich Ninja
No text, but a visual code - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: No text, but a visual code (/thread-2384.html)

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 12-06-2022

I think I've said this once: When you look at and study the Voynich, your imagination runs wild like a runaway horse.

How to avoid this? Investigating and studying medieval culture, the time that made this book possible. I've been at it for some years now and I think I still haven't come to perceive clearly the way in which medieval man saw things.

But some things I do think I already know. One of them is that to know something about the Voynich, the first thing is to look at the following image of the lapidary of Alfonso X the Wise. It is an image reminiscent of the Voynich Zodiac, but instead of 30 female figures there are 30 angels.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

This is where you have to start so as not to get lost

RE: No text, but a visual code - Indre - 13-06-2022

For those who want to look closer, there is the "Lapidario of Alfonso X" digital copy online: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: No text, but a visual code - MarcoP - 13-06-2022

(13-06-2022, 07:41 AM)Indre Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.For those who want to look closer, there is the "Lapidario of Alfonso X" digital copy online: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Wow, thank you, this is wonderful!
In You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., we referenced the scans of a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., but these direct scans of the actual manuscripts are much more beautiful. It's a pity that the resolution is rather low, so that the text is easier to read in the 1881 version.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Juan_Sali - 13-06-2022

(13-06-2022, 10:12 AM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.In You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., we referenced the scans of a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., but these direct scans of the actual manuscripts are much more beautiful. It's a pity that the resolution is rather low, so that the text is easier to read in the 1881 version.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.: In pdf: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. It includes a modern transcription of the Lapidario (starting on page 311). Full content in spanish.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 14-06-2022

There are several members of the forum who over the years have highlighted the importance of the lapidary of Alfonso X. It's nothing new. What I think is that we are not fully aware that it is the only paradigm we have to understand the Voynich. And this for four reasons:

1. The lapidary is a medicinal treatise in the same way as the VM since we know that ancient and medieval medicinal treatises included both plant and mineral remedies.
  2.  The lapidary includes known stones and gems but others with names and aspects that must have been mysterious. In the VM we have many herbs that are also mysterious because they are unknown.
  3. In the lapidary we see the signs of the zodiac, each one of them with its 30 degrees and in each degree an angel. In the VM we see the same layout but instead of angels we see female figures holding stars.
  4. Finally, in lapidary, each stone is related to one or more stars of a constellation. Each stone receives its therapeutic virtue from these stars. The Voynich is a herbarium with stars, unusual for any herbarium of the time. It induces to think that it follows the same line of thought.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 18-06-2022

I forgot to say in my previous post that the comparison with Alfonso X's lapidary reinforces the idea that the imagery and the script of the Voynich are strongly related.

Without this assumption I wouldn't mess around with the VM. It is because I believe in that relationship that I think it does have a solution, a solution that is in accordance with medieval thought that medicinal herbs owe their virtues to celestial influences.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 20-06-2022

Tomorrow is the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere. There is no day of the year that is more related to the magic of medicinal herbs. It seems reasonable to think that in a codex full of herbs that seem magical and astronomical-astrological diagrams the summer solstice must be somewhere.

I think the solstice is in the script but not in words. The summer solstice is the first degree of the sign of Cancer. It is a special position on the celestial sphere and I believe that it is represented in one of the most common groups of glyphs or symbols of the script.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 24-06-2022

These days close to the summer solstice in the latitudes of northern Italy, Austria, southern Germany there are 16 hours of daily light and 8 hours of darkness. They are the places where the Voynich was allegedly made.

On his website, Marco amusingly spun this Volvelle we see on Ms. Ashmole 370:

In the Volvelle we see that in one of the inner circles the solstices are marked with crosses, red for summer and black for winter.
Next to both crosses we see repeated numbers 8 and 4, the latter in its medieval form. It is clearly the hours of daily light, since each hemisphere has been divided into two: 8 hours in the first quarter and 8 in the second quarter. And the same with the hours of darkness: 4 and 4.

Is that 8 and that 4 the same as what we see in the Voynich script? It is quite reasonable to think so, given the semi-astronomical condition of the codex. In f57v, where we see the pattern of glyphs repeated four times, the hemispheres have also been divided into two. We also see the importance of the glyphs that resemble 4 and 8, which follow the most common glyph of the script, the one represented by a small circle.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 26-06-2022

As a complement to my previous post, I think it is important to add that the zodiacal symbols did not exist when the Voynich was produced. I have only seen them in the second half of the fifteenth century, created perhaps with the invention of the printing press.

What I mean is that if you wanted to write the zodiacal sign of Cancer, an easy and abbreviated way to do it was through the numbers 8 and 4, which indicated the hours of light or darkness in that sign. This does not prove anything, but it is an indication, chronologically correct, that the glyphs that we see in the VM and that look like an 8 and a 4 can really be those numbers and nothing more.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 02-07-2022

I believe that any method of investigating VM that studies only the script, or on the contrary only the imagery, is doomed to failure. The book has two components and, in my opinion, they are interdependent on each other, so the research must address both. Since you have to start somewhere, I prefer to do it through imagery, where some insight can be gained.

For example, in f68v1 you can see what looks like the corolla of a flower in the center surrounded by stars. It is a powerful indication of the relationship that the authors see between heaven and earth, the macrocosm and the microcosm.

It is with these examples and others that you can come to understand that the script may not hide any language, but something else