The Voynich Ninja
No text, but a visual code - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: No text, but a visual code (/thread-2384.html)

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 11-03-2022

I don't know what that erudite demonstration has to do with what I have written before.

I'm simply saying that the series of o's on the f70r1 seem to symbolize the degrees of the sphere, and that may be the source of inspiration for the degree symbol when it was standardized in the 16th century.

In this image of a work by Giovanni Fontana, a contemporary of the Voynich authors, the small circles have been replaced by stars. But we also see those little circles in the center of many of the stars drawn in the VM.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: No text, but a visual code - davidjackson - 12-03-2022

I have no idea if it has anything to do with it or not. You asked, I had the book on my shelf, and took the time to look it up for you.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 12-03-2022

Thanks David, it was just a rhetorical question on my part. A way for the forum to reflect on the origin of this symbol.

Angle symbols were standardized in the 16th century, but their shape is likely inspired by earlier examples. 

The glyph (o) is the most common of the Voynich script, a book with numerous astronomical/astrological pages.

Is it a coincidence, when there is also that series of o's in a circle of f70r1 that gives the impression of being the degrees of the sphere?

Well, a º is a very easy and quick symbol to draw. 
No we don't know why º was chosen as a degree sign, but I suspect it is simply a printer's decision, as it would be a symbol he already had in his typeset and which would be difficult to confuse, same for ' and '' . (º as a superscript suffix was in common usage when denoting ordinal numbers in manuscripts, as most ordinals in Latin end in o anyway).

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 12-03-2022

Well David. Now that we have such a polite conversation. Can you explain to me why you have a reputation of 7 and I have a reputation of 0?

Why this scale if neither of the two or anyone in this forum has the slightest idea what the Voynich is? ReneZ also has no idea what the Voynich is and has the same reputation of 7.

Of course, these things only fool the naive, but they are a barrier. A lot of people coming to this forum for the first time and seeing this ranking will avoid reading what someone like me with such a poor reputation is saying.

I say this with the utmost consideration to you and the rest of the forum administrators for creating this exciting site.

(12-03-2022, 12:04 PM)Antonio García Jiménez Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.A lot of people coming to this forum for the first time and seeing this ranking will avoid reading what someone like me with such a poor reputation is saying.
No, I don't think so.
If you had a negative reputation, then yes it might.
But I doubt anybody searches out only people with high reputation.
To be frank, there was a flurry of reputations being handed out a few years ago, and I don't think anybody has give any reputation at all for the last couple of years.
But let us not clog up your thread with these OT comments, feel free to make a new thread in the tech support forum if you have a suggestion or query on the functionality of the site.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 16-03-2022

There are those who think that a more advanced technology, artificial intelligence, will be able to solve the enigma of the Voynich. I do not believe it that way. In my experience, the more years I have been researching the book and its time, I perceive that even if it is a rare product, it fully fits with its historical moment.

Actually, what is needed is to delve deeper into the historical culture that made it possible

RE: No text, but a visual code - R. Sale - 16-03-2022

I don't disagree, but how is it possible to delve deeper into the historical culture, unless that historical culture is identified?

I suggest that the simplest and most significant potential indicator of historical culture is the identification of representations of the Golden Fleece. The validity of this interpretation would clearly mark the completed composition of the VMs illustrations as occurring subsequent to 1430, which would still be in the latter part of the standard C-14 dating.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 21-03-2022

In my opinion, the biggest trap in VM research is assuming that the script is an encrypted alphabet or that the glyphs are signs that can be replaced by sounds in some natural language.

Any transliteration, be it the most common of EVA or any other, supposes an adulteration of what we see. There is nothing that authorizes you to do it. A message can be conveyed with simple icons.

The Voynich is an authentic and genuine document reflecting the thinking of its time. And if it doesn't make sense to us, it sure did make sense to those who made it.

RE: No text, but a visual code - ReneZ - 21-03-2022

This may be a good opportunity to remind people again that a transliteration alphabet does not imply any kind of meaning. It is just a convention used to create an electronic version of the writing.

All the characters that look like y are represented as y in Eva, as 9 in Currier and in v101, and as as G in the FSG alphabet. None of the transcribers ever assumed or implied that this character 'means' the selected symbol.