The Voynich Ninja
No text, but a visual code - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: No text, but a visual code (/thread-2384.html)

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 19-02-2022

I say this from time to time as a reminder: when I say that the script is a visual code, I mean that it is not phonetic but that it is read with the eyes because all glyphs are astronomical symbols.

For example, I think the gallows are the symbols of the meridians: Eva-t for the northern hemisphere and Eva-k for the southern hemisphere. As for Eva-p and Eva-f, they are the same meridians but when the sun is at the lunar nodes, or as they would say in the Middle Ages, the head and tail of the dragon. These last spatial points are rare and that is why I think we only see them in the first line of the paragraphs.

Seems like a crazy interpretation, doesn't it? I know, that's why I put so much interest in the iconography of the VM, about which I am, we can say orthodox, since I think the same as reputable researchers like Panofsky. I think only by understanding the iconography can you come to that conclusion about the script.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 20-02-2022

In the thread 'Twinned Glyphs' I have seen this phrase by Emma May that fits like a glove in the interpretation of the gallows that I did in my previous post:

The key insight from gallows glyphs is that their graphical similarity seems to be mirrored with their function in words. While we do not know their values (or even what kinds of things they might stand for) we can tentatively say that gallows glyphs show evidence for design in the script. Even if the overall look of the gallows glyphs has been taken from another source, they might have been arranged in a particular way for the script.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 27-02-2022

One of the unknowns of Quire 13 are the objects carried by some of the female figures. One of these objects is what looks like a ring. This lady is one of those who hold it

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

How can we be sure it's a ring if it's too big and has a bulge on it?

You have to see if there is any parallel image of the same time. And yes it exists. In the Wilton diptych we see King Edward the Confessor holding a ring.

We can be sure that it is a ring because it is his emblem, associated with a well-known legend. The ring is not to scale and neither is the one held by the Voynich's female figure. Like that of the king, the ring of the figure of the VM has a precious stone set.

What can it mean? I think it simply symbolizes the brightness of the stars

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 06-03-2022

There are people on this forum who know more math than me. A question for them: What is the origin of the degree symbol (º)?

In A History of Mathematical Notations, Florian Cajori says that this symbol appears in the second half of the 16th century and cites works by Jacques Peletier and Gemma Frisius.

Did these authors invent the symbol? I do not believe it. It is obvious that this little circle (º) represents the sphere and that it was used in a different sense in previous centuries in astronomical works.

With that little circle the stars were represented in many medieval manuscripts and I wonder if that is not precisely what the glyph that looks like the letter o in the Voynich means

RE: No text, but a visual code - Juan_Sali - 06-03-2022

(06-03-2022, 11:43 AM)Antonio García Jiménez Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.There are people on this forum who know more math than me. A question for them: What is the origin of the degree symbol (º)?
6 Zero:

RE: No text, but a visual code - davidjackson - 06-03-2022

An early use of the degree symbol proper is that by Henry Cavendish in 1776 for degrees of the Fahrenheit scale.[1] The degree symbol for degrees of temperature appears to have been transferred to the use for degrees of arc early in the 19th century.

Sorry David but I disagree. Wikipedia is not always rigorously written.

In this 17th century book you can see a table for astronomical calculations with the symbol of the small circle on the abbreviation of degree (Gr)

Florian Cajori, an expert, said that the symbol came into use in the second half of the 16th century.

I believe that this symbol was used because of its spherical shape and that is why I wonder if the Voynich glyph (o) does not mean the same thing

Sorry. I think the book does not open to the page I have chosen. It's page 275.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 11-03-2022

The idea that the glyph that looks like the letter o is actually the symbol for the degree of the sphere is not something that comes from my imagination. We see it in this folio f70r1, where the series of o's and dots seem to mark the degrees of the sphere.

What is surprising is that the series of o's is also followed by other glyphs, which casts doubt on whether they can represent letters or phonemes.

RE: No text, but a visual code - davidjackson - 11-03-2022

Smith in History of Mathematics vol II (pp234-235) says the º form starts to appear in the mid 1500's, he gives two examples, a printed work of Schoner, De logistica exagenaria, 1569 on p..366, which speaks of "qui & partium numerus dicitur, circulus, 7 unitates". There the º is written above the number. 
And Peletier in 1549 in L'Arithmetique p.107 (1607 ed)
Quote:Peletier remarks "Les Degrés dont seront au milieu de la numeration Astronomique: & seront represetés par º : les Minutes par Ï les Secondes par ¨2... Et ansi des autres".

So it appears the º was a printers convention that came into use in the middle of the 16th century.

Smith gives earlier manuscript examples of ~, ¨ or '' for degrees. But he is clear that: 

Quote:The symbols (º ' '') are modern. In medieval and Renaissance times there were several methods used for designating the sexagesimal orders [...] At the close of the 16th century there came into use such forms as these in which the symbols are obviously the forerunners of the ones now seen in common use.