The Voynich Ninja
No text, but a visual code - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: No text, but a visual code (/thread-2384.html)

RE: No text, but a visual code - Aga Tentakulus - 14-12-2021

To be honest for once.
I click on your links, then skim the text. I find that I have already read the same thing x times.
Maybe you do not notice, but you always repeat the same.
For me important, topic is considered read.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 14-12-2021

If what I write was not of interest, my thread would not be one of the most read on the forum. Many new people enter the forum every day and there are members who may not have paid much attention to what I have written previously. That is why I may repeat things.

But Aga, you don't have to read me. Just ignore what I write

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 17-12-2021

I am going to comment on something that may seem obvious but that has some importance in the iconographic reading of the Voynich. This forum is done in English, a language whose nouns have no gender morpheme. Latin and Romance languages, also German, do have grammatical gender.

How important is that? Well, whoever drew the pretty naked ladies did know the gender of the Latin word stella, what is a feminine noun. In English, with the word star, this gender detail goes unnoticed. For me that I am Spanish and that I believe that the young ladies are the personification of the stars, it is very natural that the figures are female. I don't think it's that obvious to a native English speaker.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Linda - 17-12-2021

(17-12-2021, 05:08 PM)Antonio García Jiménez Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.How important is that? Well, whoever drew the pretty naked ladies did know the gender of the Latin word stella, what is a feminine noun. In English, with the word star, this gender detail goes unnoticed. For me that I am Spanish and that I believe that the young ladies are the personification of the stars, it is very natural that the figures are female. I don't think it's that obvious to a native English speaker.

How do you explain the males then?

RE: No text, but a visual code - DONJCH - 17-12-2021

Everybody with even a basic knowledge of Latin or French knows about gender. I think we also learn not to take it too literally though. It's often a bit random and contradictory which may be the reason it was dropped in English.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 18-12-2021

There are no male figures among the so-called nymphs. And there are none from what I have already said. For those who did the Voynich, the stars were female. Someone can say that in some case it is not clear or that there is a figure drawn with male genitalia. That is either a false impression or the product or simply a joke of the author, tired of drawing so many women.

What is evident is the author's will to draw female figures. Simply because they are the representation of the stars for someone of their culture and their language.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Linda - 18-12-2021

I see. I will have to disagree then, since i am pretty sure there are several examples of beards, male nipple depictions, and other seemingly male attributes also. You are saying all of those are jokes?

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 19-12-2021

Sorry Linda, in the misnamed nymphs I only see female figures. I'm as sure of it as you are of the opposite. What I see is a firm, determined and persistent will to draw female figures, one and another and another and another... If there is any figure that seems masculine, it is not part of the design and the message of the book.

The misnamed nymphs of the quire 13 are the same ladies we see on the zodiacal pages. Each of them holds a star in her hand. For those who want to hear is as if they said: look at me I am a star, I represent a star in the sky.

And I insist that for those whose native language is English it is more difficult to realize that star is a noun of the feminine gender in the culture to which the Voynich belongs.

RE: No text, but a visual code - R. Sale - 20-12-2021

Perhaps it might be considered that certain 'wandering' stars, Mercury, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, are masculine.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Linda - 20-12-2021

But Antonio maintains there are no male figures.