The Voynich Ninja
No text, but a visual code - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: No text, but a visual code (/thread-2384.html)

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 10-05-2021

Here is an example of why the iconography of the VM is not particularly difficult: 

Almost all the plants in the book have flowers. At the latitude in which the VM is supposed to be made plants bloom in spring: March, April and May, or what is the same: Pisces, Aries and Taurus, especially these last two signs.

In the VM we don't have the winter signs and we have two Aries and two Taurus. Is this a coincidence? Of course not. The author wanted to highlight the forces of spring signs in flowering. It is further proof that all the parts of the book are interrelated, they form a unity of meaning.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 14-05-2021

There is another image that relates the various sections of the book. I think we will agree that the author wanted represent the Pleiades in the f68 v2-3. It is the only group of stars that we can easily recognize

The Pleiades, in the sign of Taurus, is a clear mark of spring.

We have therefore already related three sections of the VM: the flowered plants of the Herbarium, the zodiacal section with the duplicate sign of Taurus and the Pleiades in the astronomical section. All three referring to spring, conveying a unique message

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 17-05-2021

In the iconographic reading of the Voynich mistakes are made that are common sense. In the zodiacal section there are signs in which the ladies are stuck in pipes. They are pipes and not tubs or any other container with water. How can there be water if there are pages in which the ladies are dressed and not naked!

This seems like a minor observation, but it is not, because understanding that they are pipes puts this section directly in relation to the next section of ladies coming down from the sky in pipes. It is true that later it seems that they bathe in water, but it is a water that represents a fluid sometimes painted in green and sometimes in blue, something that helps them on their journey. They are the stars that come down to Earth.

RE: No text, but a visual code - RobGea - 17-05-2021

Nice idea but the Astrology section has both naked and clothed anthropomorphs  in tubs:

f70v2;  Pisces; all naked in tubs/barrels
f70v1;  Aries;  both naked in tubs and clothed in tubs

However the idea that they are pipes leading to somewhere else and not just simple tubs is an intriguing one.

RE: No text, but a visual code - -JKP- - 17-05-2021

Pipes, tubs, floaters, and zoomers are relatively common in medieval illustrations. Sometimes they represent ancestors. I've always wondered if the clothed figures in the zodiac-figures sectionwere ancestors or elders/masters. Sometimes they represent celestial messengers, anima, or souls.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 18-05-2021

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

What you have to visualize is that the ladies in this image come out of the poole through the stream of water or fluid to go another pool or continue through other pipes. That they are spirits and nothing but spirits.

They begin their journey from the pages of the zodiac, where the pipes begin. These pipes are the same as those seen in the representation of the universe on the Rosettes folio. Logically it is the journey of the stars, its influence on plants, as it also happens in lapidaries. The Voynich is a herbarium of  the same kind.

If we assume that the VM is a genuine 15th century document and assume that up to five scribes were involved in the script, as Lisa Fagin Davis has brilliantly shown, the conclusion is that it was produced by a scientific community because the book is a science book by its time. The logical thing is that is the work of a university community.

RE: No text, but a visual code - -JKP- - 19-05-2021

I don't think we should assume too quickly that the pipe-like structures and the tub-like structures are the same thing.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Aga Tentakulus - 19-05-2021

For me they are barrels or baskets.
Simply something with which you can transport plants for overwintering, or set them early.
I'll put it this way, if they lose their flowers later, they're kind of naked.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 20-05-2021

Of course, everyone can think what they want about the images in the VM. What happens is that when you have been researching this strange book for a few years, you inevitably ask yourself:

Is this a kind of encyclopedia of varied topics or do all the parts have a framework, the same intention that unites them?

Are they separate ideas, or does the same idea run through the book?

Is there anything that can be similar to it in its time?

I think so: the lapidaries. A medieval lapidary is a treatise on the magical properties of stones in relation to astrology, the zodiac signs, the stars.

The Voynich can be a herbarium on the magical properties of these fantastic plants

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 26-05-2021

We are in the sign of Gemini and next is Cancer. The places between the parallels 45º and 55º North have, more o less, 16 hours of daily light. For example: northen Italy, the northen half of France, England, almost all Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Belgium, Canada, the northen states of the United States...

What does this have to do with the VM?
I think a lot. Remember: 16 hours of daily light, 8 from when the Sun rises until it reaches its maximum height and another 8 until it sets. The night can also be divided into two quadrants of 4 and 4

In the script of the VM there are two glyphs with the shape of the number 8 and 4, the latter with its ancient form that we see in the manuscripts of the time. Can these numbers in the VM represent the hours of daylight and night?

I wouldn't have thought of this if I hadn't seen it. You can see it in Volvelles of the time like these:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

In the inner circle where the cross is, you can see the two 8 and the two 4 between Geminis and Cancer, and the same but in reverse for Sagittarius and Capricorn