The Voynich Ninja
No text, but a visual code - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: No text, but a visual code (/thread-2384.html)

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 28-04-2021

It's funny how ingrained is the idea that the pages of the nude ladies of the VM form a biological section. I heard an interview with Paula Zyats, Beinecke's assistant chief conservator, in which she takes it for granted.

A university is supposed to expand knowledge, but not even the University of Yale seems interested in doing so in this case. Not that I say so. Someone as accredited in iconology as Erwin Panofsky already said that there was no biological section, that the nude ladies were astral spirits.

But it seems that the great research that was done in the 20th century is worthless. I fear that also in the XXII century future researchers will start from scratch, as if nothing was known. It's like stubbornness in ignorance.

RE: No text, but a visual code - bi3mw - 29-04-2021

Well, it depends on how well argued in this "stubbornness". It should not be ignored that the "biological section" is also called "balneological section". There are some parallels in the imagery in other works.
In my opinion, it is important to keep your eyes open in all directions and not to commit yourself too early.
Conceivable would also be an alchemical background, that means that the nymphs represent elements within a process.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Koen G - 29-04-2021

An additional problem with the term "biological section" is that it was never clear to me whether they meant Q13 or just the part of it that looks most biological. And why use this term alongside balneological section? Did people just pick one depending on their preferred interpretation?

RE: No text, but a visual code - bi3mw - 29-04-2021

(29-04-2021, 02:16 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Did people just pick one depending on their preferred interpretation?
Yes, that is very likely. You might as well call this section the "Astral Section" or something.

RE: No text, but a visual code - ReneZ - 29-04-2021

(29-04-2021, 02:16 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.An additional problem with the term "biological section" is that it was never clear to me whether they meant Q13 or just the part of it that looks most biological. And why use this term alongside balneological section? Did people just pick one depending on their preferred interpretation?

Biological is the traditional name for this quire. The term "balneological" came into fashion after someone called Brian Smith pointed out the similarity to the Balneis MS tradition, of this part.

That Q13 could be considered two distinct part is even more recent.

For me, biological and balneological are not contradictory terms.
The effect of medicinal baths, in particular drinking its waters, clearly can be called both.

RE: No text, but a visual code - DONJCH - 29-04-2021

Besides, "biological" is easier to spell so meh.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Linda - 29-04-2021

In seeing the Scientific American pages in the other thread, it would seem that the biological term was already in use in 1921. And so it becomes a term that others refer to and so on. For me it is neither biological nor balneological, I like to refer to it as quire 13, it is shorter, and correct (as bound anyway) no matter the subject.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 30-04-2021

The problem with calling the pages of the nudes ladies the biological o balneological section is that it is very misleading. If you believe that there is no unit in the VM you can fall into that deception but if, like me, you believe that all the parts of the book are related, the only possible conclusion is that these ladies are actually the spirit of the stars that they go down to fertilize the Earth so that all those wonderful plants are born.

This interpretation has a completely empirical basis. The nude ladies come down from the sky, painted in blue and not green, and they are the same as those of the zodiacal section carrying a star. Of course, what is painted green can be water. it is what the seeds need to grow and so do the stars.

If this iconographic intepretation is important, it is because it helps to understand the book as a coherent whole

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 02-05-2021

New forum members may wonder why I talk so much about imagery when this heading is the place to discuss text analysis.

The answer is easy: I don't think there is any text, nothing that can be read, and I think the images are related to the script, which is an astronomical code that serves to unite the stars and the plants. 

Each glyph that looks like the letter (o) is a star, and the glyphs that are the (o) with a tail (EVA-a and EVA-y) are also stars that probably indicate their place in relation to the ecliptic.

Crazy this idea? Well, I have a feeling that Ockham's razor would have a lot to do with a lot of theories before dealing with mine

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 05-05-2021

If there is a prejudice ingrained in the Voynich research it is, without a doubt, the idea that the script is a language, a readable text. If this prejudice ever disappears, it will be seen with crystal clarity that the book does have a meaning, a meaning for the humanity of the fifteenth century.

I'll give this example: the glyph that looks like the letter a usually precedes the series of i's. Well, they are neither the letter a nor the letter i. The series of i's are actually slanted lines and these lines have the same shape as the tail of the glyph that looks like the letter a. If the a usually precedes the i's it is because in the scribe's mind the tail of the a is another sloping line.

And what are all those sloping lines? Well, I don't have to go far to look for it. I see them in the astronomical clock on the Rosettes folio. They are simply the degrees of the sphere.