The Voynich Ninja
No text, but a visual code - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: No text, but a visual code (/thread-2384.html)

RE: No text, but a visual code - -JKP- - 05-04-2021

(05-04-2021, 05:18 PM)Antonio García Jiménez Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I doubt that in the Middle Ages it was known that twinkling is atmospheric disturbance. Putting that modern concept on a medieval man is an anachronism...

Huh?

I wasn't imposing 21st century concepts on the Middle Ages, I was taking exception with YOUR 21st-century contention that planets don't twinkle. They do if they are at a level that has different atmospheric disturbance.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Aga Tentakulus - 05-04-2021

Belongs to the classics and is already 10 years old.

Actually, it is not much different, it is what is made of it.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 06-04-2021

I don't like to argue, but I am happy if it has helped everyone pay attention to the essentials:  the Rosette folio is a representation of the Ptolemaic universe, with the stars emitting their virtues to the Earth through tubes that pass through the spheres. It is an iconographic reading that is coherent with the whole book, which forms a unit because the plants we see are born and grow for this reason.

The author has taken this idea from the fact that the stars twinkle, they seem to send something to Earth. In the Voynich we see a lot of stars but we don't see any planets.

And I repeat, if someone has a better unified theory and defends it with solid arguments, I might change my mind. But I will not stop insisting on what I believe when the understanding of a singular work of human culture is at stake.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 11-04-2021

The only way to get to know one day what those chains of gliphs that accompany the images mean is by first solving the iconography of the VM. I respect those who believe otherwise but I think they are wrong.

All those studies that come out periodically on the so-called text of the VM, are nothing more than exercises in a vacuum. The only thing that can get us out of the deadlock in which we have been for more than a hundred years is the understanding of images.

And the first thing is to abandon that false idea that there is a biological or balneological section in the VM. There is none of that, and this is the first and necessary step to see the interconnection of all parts of the book.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 16-04-2021

The key is the interrelation of all the sections of the VM. The pages of the naked ladies is an astrological section that has to do with all the others. Why are they pregnant? Very simple, because they carry the seed from which the plants will grow.

They, personification of the spirit of the stars, descend to Earth through the pipes of the universe, the same ones we see in the Rosette folios. Honestly, I don't think the iconography of the VM is very difficult to understand.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 18-04-2021

I am totally convinced that it is easier to solve the iconography of the book than the script, and that this is the way to have a new insight into script.

To what was said in my previous post I want to add the detail of the tubes inside which are the ladies in the first pages of the zodiacal section. These tubes are necessarily related to the ladies going down the pipes and to the kind of cannons that we see on the Rosette folios.

The whole book is related, it talks about the same thing, it is a unit.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 20-04-2021

I don't usually pay attention to what is published about the VM outside of this forum. I did know about the book by two botanical experts: Unraveling the Voynich Code, where it is said that the manuscript dates from 16th century Mexico and that the plants are related to Aztec medicinal herbs. I remember thinking: what nonsense!

If I say this now it is because I did not know that the authors had received an award from the American Botanical Council.

It's something that I can't explain myself. The people of my generation grew up admiring American scientific potential, believing in the discourse of science that so magnificently represented the United States.

To reward a theory as absurd as that when science by the method of carbon 14 dating has dated the VM in the first half of the 15th century, it is as if now we begin to believe that the Earth is flat. Even more absurd for a Spaniard like me, who knows very well that many plants of Mexico and other parts of America were described and even drawn by Spanish naturalists as early as the 16th century. None have the slightest resemblance to those in the Voynich.

RE: No text, but a visual code - -JKP- - 20-04-2021

I'm not sure they are botanical experts. They made numerous botany-related errors in their book and they clearly do not have a good understanding of medieval herbals. They didn't even have the correct spellings for some of the modern botanical names. They also had the wrong location for one of the plants that was central to one of their arguments.

From what I understand, their credentials were in agriculture.

As for the award, one of the people who was pivotal in giving the award made some statements about the book that made it sound like he either didn't know anything about the VMS or that he hadn't really read their book in a critical manner.

So, I am not impressed. I am dismayed. I wish I could say something nice about the book and the award, but I can't.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 22-04-2021

This is one of the best parallels that I have seen of the luxurious glasses that we see in the central circle of the Rosettes folio.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

It is about the adoration of the Magi of Les très riches heures du duc de Berry, a magnificent contemporary manuscript of the Voynich.

What can those glasses hold?

It is easy. We know what the Magi brought to the child God: gold, incense and myrrh.

Except for gold, the other two are medicinal perfumes, divine fragrances that go from heaven to earth. Herbs take their aromas from there.

Is another proof that the whole VM contains the same message

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 26-04-2021

It is a pity that the VM does not attract the attention of art historians and experts in medieval iconography. So far there have been many more people interested in the script than in the imagery. 

The VM has been attacked above all by linguists and experts in cryptography, despite the fact that the images offer more accessibility than the script, which remains irreducible.

It is not just about attacking image by image looking for parallels, but going further and proposing a unified theory. I have a theory, but there could be another, as long as it brings together and makes sense of all the images in the book. I think it's the only way to move forward.