The Voynich Ninja
No text, but a visual code - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: No text, but a visual code (/thread-2384.html)

RE: No text, but a visual code - Linda - 01-01-2021

Happy New Year, Antonio. 

I am afraid i don't see the moon image on the left, i see a column of years, did i miss something? Oh, wait it is the next page. 

How do you know p means part? 

I am trying to figure out why it says p and not ho like your previous example, ho would be horas, which makes perfect sense, hours, minutes, seconds. I do agree it is related to time, but i do not agree it is obviously not a c but a moon, rather it is obviously a superscript c, which would mean it stands for something but i have not been able to find out what exactly the meaning is to put a superscript c over ho or p. I think p might mean prima, as in first. The c probably refers to some word with relation to timing also. I am no expert in Latin or ephemeral tables so i will defer to others with more knowledge on this.

Regardless, I don't think you can say it is proof of anything, even if it did mean moon, there is no real correlation with the vms script.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Linda - 01-01-2021

JKP and Helmut, i missed your comments while writing mine, thank you for the additional info.

Happy New Year!

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 01-01-2021

I was confused. In the last astronomical image that I put the letter p does not mean part. I don't think it means principium either. It most likely means puncta, which was a measure of time equivalent to a quarter of an hour.

Indeed, it may be that the superscript symbol c has nothing to do with the symbol for the Moon. But it doesn't seem like an abbreviation either, since puncta was also abbreviated as pta and there is also a c above the hour column.

Too much confusion. It deserves a closer study

RE: No text, but a visual code - -JKP- - 01-01-2021

Quote:[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I was confused. In the last astronomical image that I put the letter p does not mean part. I don't think it means principium either. It most likely means puncta, which was a measure of time equivalent to a quarter of an hour.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Indeed, it may be that the superscript symbol c has nothing to do with the symbol for the Moon. But it doesn't seem like an abbreviation either, since puncta was also abbreviated as pta and there is also a c above the hour column.[/font]

I don't know why you don't think it's an abbreviation. A very high proportion of abbreviations are written that way. Grado, modo, quo, and countless others are written with one regular character and a superscripted second character.

I'm pretty sure it refers to the time the solar eclipse begins. Beginning (hours), minutes, seconds. Look at how high the numbers go in each column. In the second two columns they go up into the 50s.

The numbers in the first column don't go high enough to be quarter hours.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Aga Tentakulus - 02-01-2021

I doubt that the second one is seconds. I also don't think it could be calculated so accurately without a chronometer at that time.
I think it is related to the movement of the moon in relation to the rotation of the earth.
The moon takes about 7 minutes to move once around its diameter.
That means 7 minutes from touching it until the eclipse, and 7 minutes until it has left it again. Equal to 14 minutes.
In these 14 minutes, however, the Earth's rotation also results in a difference that I have to take into account.
14 min + 2 min equals solar eclipse.
Or something like that. I'm not quite sure anymore.

Translated with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (free version)

RE: No text, but a visual code - -JKP- - 02-01-2021

Quote:"Using a system that the Sumerians had developed circa 2000 BC, the Babylonians established the foundations of modern timekeeping. They divided the daylight hours into 12 parts and the nights into 12 more, defining the 24 segments that we now refer to as You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..[/font]

Babylonian astronomers used a sexigesimal (base 60) system to split each of these 24 divisions into 60 units (minutes), which were subdivided in turn into 60 more parts (seconds). "

This would fit with the labels and with the numbers within each of the columns.

The first column never goes above 12. The second and third columns never go above 60.

I know that they did not have an accurate way of measuring seconds until a couple of centuries later, but they did have a concept of seconds, and the rightmost column is labeled 2nd.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Aga Tentakulus - 02-01-2021

Maybe it's just an angle calculation between the sun and the moon's turn.
Solstice 1 year
Lunar solstice 18 years
Without recalculating!

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 03-01-2021

I want to talk about the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. again because it is one of the first indications on which based my theory. The emphasis is often on the four times repeating sequence but there is something that is overlooked. It is simply a cosmological page and there are represented four people who seem to be reading the sky, the signs of the sky, not a text about the sky.

This observation may seem byzantine or trivial but I think it is very important. What these people see is a set of celestial objects, relationships between them, movements and positions in the sphere to which they put symbols to interpret them. It is for that reason that we see rare glyphs that we don't see in other places of the VM script, and that we see mixed single glyphs with words. In reality they are all symbols with their own meaning and it matters little whether or not there is a gap between them.

Nick Pelling highlighted the fact that we see the single Eva-l glyph repeatedly, which is not the case in other parts of the VM, and he linked this page to astronomical instruments. I believe that Eva-l is the old number 4 and has a correspondence with Eva-d, which looks like number 8 and I think it is. Both, one twice the other, must have an astronomical meaning.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 11-01-2021

Regarding the four times repeating sequence of the f57v, Emma Smith made this enlightening observation:

The m character is immediately before the p and f. This is important because while p and f are often used at the beginning of paragraphs, m is often at the end of lines. 

This observation helps to penetrate the scribe's mind and the structure of the script. It helps to understand the LAAFU phenomenon. In the herbal section the scribe has organized the script in lines and paragraphs, but his mind follows a circular structure. It is as if we see the same circles that we see in the cosmological pages.

When considering the script of lines and paragraphs as if it were arranged in circles, it is easier to understand that perhaps the glyphs are astronomical symbols representing units of time. Time is circular.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 15-01-2021

[font=Eva][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Again, [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]the four times repeating sequence of the f57v. One of the most shocking things is that [/font][/font][/font][font=Eva]p[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] and [/font][font=Eva]f[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]  [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]are in the middle of each sequence and seem interchangeable. Why?[/font][/font]

An explanation must be given, but an explanation based on the cosmological diagram on the page. The page is full of strange characters. Are they the letters of an unknown alphabet? Sometimes the characters are joined as if they were words, other times they are separated. What's the point of repeating a sequence of letters. It does not make any sense. 
Are they glyphs meaningless, just gibberish, squiggles? No way, the human mind always look for a meaning. It seems more mysterious to me to think that the Voynich does not make sense than the opposite.
The most logical thing is that we are facing astronomical symbols. So what are [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Eva]p[/font][/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] and [/font][/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Eva]f [/font][/font]?

It is essential to know medieval astronomy. Forget that the Sun is in the center. It is the Earth. Two lines divide the celestial sphere: the equinocial line, horizontal, and the ecliptic line, vertical. In this last line eclipses occur, but no always. Only when the Sun and the Moon meet at the nodes. On the head and tail of the dragon. This is what [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Eva]p[/font][/font][/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] and [/font][/font][/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Eva]f[/font][/font][/font] are.