The Voynich Ninja
No text, but a visual code - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: No text, but a visual code (/thread-2384.html)

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 14-02-2020

The Voynich is a book of science, it's not a religion or art book. Arin (or Arim, Arym) is more a theoretical concept than a practical one. It is a point on the equatorial line, the zero meridian, the center of the world at equal distance from North, South, East and West. Latitude 0º, longitude 0º. Jerusalem at a latitude of 30º cannot be the center of the world for medieval science.
   The Arabs took the concept of the Indians and called it Qubbat al-Arin, dome of the world. In the Middle Ages it was they who had come closest to the Equator. The imagination turned that point into a city of difficult location. Western science picked up the idea of the Arabs and incorporated it into their Geography and Cosmography.  Roger Bacon was one of the first to talk about Arin, and Pierre D'Ailly did it in his Imago Mundi, a contemporary work of Voynich. So did Christopher Columbus in his letters. 
  Arin, the equatorial line, the place where the hours of the day are the same as those of the night. There was something magical about it for medieval humanity, something we don't feel.
  No westerner ever traveled to Arin, but its power of attraction must have been enormous. I believe that the city drawn on the Rosette folio represents Arin. Obviously, the author drew a western city that he knew well.

RE: No text, but a visual code - -JKP- - 15-02-2020

There was very little separation between science and religion in the Middle Ages. There were no public schools. Science courses were mostly taught by monks, or by traveling tutors who had been taught by monks.

The very idea that the sun revolved around the earth, despite copious evidence to the contrary, stems from a religious viewpoint.

In Asia, a great deal of education also revolved around monasteries, and all of that education was similarly infused with religion (e.g., Buddhism).

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 16-02-2020

Science, religion and magic are intimately related in medieval thought, but in the VM  we barely see religious signs. What we do see, I think, is a rational attempt to explain the hidden powers of nature.

What does the Rosette folio represent? Getting it right is essential because the VM understanding depends on its interpretation. The VM is not an encyclopedia, it only talks about one thing: the influence of stars on herbs. 

What I see in the Rosette folio is an attempt to describe the aristotelian-ptolemaic Universe. Spheres that communicate with each other through pipes through which astral virtues descend to Earth. The containers that we see in the central sphere are censers with the fragrance of herbs.

Is it the fruit of my imagination? Well, look again at this contemporary painting of the VM.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

What the Queen of Sheba offers to King Solomon is a censer. She controlled the route of incense and myrrh. The similarity of the container with those we see in the VM is extraordinary. The power of the stars is in the fragrance that the censers keep and give to the herbs.

That is why I believe that the city represented is Arin, the center of the Earth. Here, the influence of the stars is greater. In a book also contemporary of the VM, the Tratado de Astrologia, by Enrique de Villena, it is said that in Arin trees bear fruit twice a year. This sense of the wonders of the world is that I think the author of the VM wanted to convey by drawing a fantasy herbarium

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 23-02-2020

To think that advances in the power of computers, artificial intelligence and new algorithms will solve the VM is for me something like Science fiction. It can help but not in the essential.
  In my experience, study in depth the medieval and early Renaissance culture is what is helpful. I have come to the conclusion that despite its rarity, the VM fits perfectly in the culture of its time.

In his work De Occultis Operibus Naturae, a saint and doctor of the Church like Thomas Aquinas says that the movement of the stars is the one that forms the minerals and makes the plants grow on Earth. And a religious man like Roger Bacon goes further and believes that it is possible to channel the hidden powers of nature.

The VM is an example of that astrological magic. But the stars don't work miracles. They can't grow herbs in winter. That's why there are no Capricorn or Aquarius in the VM. They were never drawn. The author doubled the signs of spring, Aries and Taurus, when herbs grow more.

Logically, the script corresponds to the message of the work. Is it phonetic? I doubt it. It would make no sense.
What do words need if it is a matter of correlating stars or stellar configurations with herbs?

The logical thing is that the script is an alphabet made of astronomical symbols and that it is a kind of game.

RE: No text, but a visual code - -JKP- - 23-02-2020

(23-02-2020, 04:57 PM)Antonio García Jiménez Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

The VM is an example of that astrological magic. But the stars don't work miracles. They can't grow herbs in winter. That's why there are no Capricorn or Aquarius in the VM. They were never drawn. The author doubled the signs of spring, Aries and Taurus, when herbs grow more.

If one considers that the majority of VMS folios are drawings of plants, I think the suggestion that the winter months are not included in the "zodiac" section because it's not part of the growing season is one of the best explanations I've seen for the missing Capricorn and Aquarius.

But I'm not sure the argument of doubling Aries and Taurus works. For one thing, Gemini is also a significant part of the growing season. And Aries and Taurus might not be doubled, they might be two halves of a whole. The other wheels have 30 nymphs each. Aries and Taurus have 15 nymphs each for a total of 30, the same total number as the others when you put the two halves together.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 28-02-2020

The VM script with the shape of its glyphs has an obvious internal logic. Look for example the similarities between (e) and (i). What we see are the moon-shaped glyph and the inclined line-shaped glyph. 
  According to the Cham's Curve-Line System these strokes are fundamental to the VM script. And Emma Smith wrote in her blog these points true for both glyphs:

[*]They can freely occur in sequences of two or more. Other glyphs are rarely doubled and never tripled.

[*]They rarely occur at either the start or end of words.

[*]Many other glyphs seem to be composed of [e] or [i] with another stroke added.

[*]They rarely occur before glyphs containing each other. So [e] is unlikely to come before a glyph containing [i] and [i] is unlikely to come before a glyph containing [e].

[*]They appear in the same word less than might be expected.

For me, the moon-shaped glyph and other similar mark the path of the Moon and the inclined line marks the Sun's path. They are the structure to position the fixed stars, represented by the glyps (o) (a) and (y), which are not letters and have a complementary distribution in the script. (a) and (y) are the (o) with different strokes to differentiate the stellar positions.

[/i][/i][/i]

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 05-03-2020

One thing that matters to me is to emphasize that I take the data to defend my theory from the VM or from more o less contemporary works. If I say that the glyph that looks like the letter o is the star symbol is because I see that little circle in many stars of the book.

I recommend reading the post Dotted Stars of Ellie Velinska's blog. You will see numerous examples of stars with that little circle inside and images that directly relate the stars to the flowers of herbs, such as the following

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Regarding inclined lines, you also have several examples in the VM, as in the astronomical clock of the Rosette folio, and even within the loops of some gallows. Curiously three by three, as in the script, where there can be up to three.
   And there are also contemporary examples like the Tratado de Astrologia by Enrique de Villena

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

If you look all the images in this book you will see something intriguing.The circles that represent the Ecliptic have these three inclined lines in the start of the zodiac signs, but the other circles do not have them. Obviously they are degrees that mark the Ecliptic, the Sun's path.

The solution to the VM script is in the VM itself

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 14-03-2020

I understand that my theory may seem strange to many people, but the same happens to me with the linguistic theory of the VM. Isn't it weird that after more than hundred years of failed research, there is still someone who defends a phonetic meaning for the script?
  For me the problem of the VM is simply epistemological: trying to understand why it made sense to 15th century scientists to write a book using only a set of astronomical symbols.

All the glyphs of the VM are astronomical symbols, even those that are numbers like 8 and 4 (Eva-d and Eva-l). The shape of the number 8 is clear and the 4 is its primitive Arabic form. 

I take everything I say from contemporary works to the VM, the only way to someday get to know how to interpret it. You can see these numbers in at least three wheel charts on the following digitalized manuscripts:

MS Asmole 370 The Kalendarium of Nicholas of Lynn
   MS 454 Lambeth Palace Library (looking for volvelle hashtag on Twitter)
   BL Sloane 4100, recto

In all three volvelles, the numbers 8 and 4 appear in the inner circle, up and down, four times, separated by a cross in the Zodiac signs Geminis-Cancer on the one hand and Sagitarius-Capricornius for the other. The numbers obviously are the hours of ligth: 8 plus 8 in the day of Summer signs versus 4 plus 4 at night, and 4 plus 4 in the day of Winter signs versus 8 plus 8 during the night.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 20-03-2020

What does daiin mean? daiin is the most frequent string of symbols in the VM. But there is also dain, daiiin, ain, aiin, aiiin. What does this all mean? We don't know but what we have done is adulterate reality: where there are glyphs we have put letters.

We don't see daiin, we see a glyph that looks like the number 8, followed by another that looks like a small circle with an inclined line equal to the two that follow it and finally another inclined line joined to half a circle.

This is what we see, the rest is metaphysics. The research of the VM must start from beginning and must begin without adulterating the script if we want someday to unravel its meaning.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 24-03-2020

What is the difference between  an, ain aiin and aiiin?

The only difference is that you are adding an inclined line, also with (a) and (n) These two gliphs (no letters) also have inclined lines in its shape.

I've seen in drawings, volvelles and astrolabes of the time of the VM this inclined line many times to mark the degrees of the ecliptic.

The solution of the VM script is not so difficult. Only a new perspective is needed