The Voynich Ninja
No text, but a visual code - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: No text, but a visual code (/thread-2384.html)

RE: No text, but a visual code - -JKP- - 23-07-2019

(23-07-2019, 06:14 PM)Antonio García Jiménez Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....

The devil is in the details. I've seen in the same page of this astronomical tables codex three ways to write 'radix'. First the whole word, then the R with the right glyph of Eva-t and Eva-k and finally in red the R with a crossed line to indicate the x. All in the same page. All with the same intention or meaning?

If you or someone show me the abbreviation of radix with the glyph identical to that of the VM in a herbarium or a book of any subject, that would be more convincing.

This is completely normal in Latin script. Abbreviations were very flexible and sometimes the same word was abbreviated two or three different ways in the same paragraph, occasionally even in the same sentence.

Often it is done the same way as the Alphonsine tables that you linked. Often the first one is written out in full, the next one is partly abbreviated, and the rest (if there are a lot of them, like in tables) are highly abbreviated. They did the same in Greek manuscripts with the word "Peri" and other common words, especially those that occur at the beginnings of lines or columns.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 24-07-2019

I don't doubt what you say. I've also seen the Eva-k abbreviation en many manuscripts. But I'm obsessed with the details. I sincerely believe that if the mystery of the VM is ever solved it will be for small details, not taking anything for granted.

In this case, the scribe may use a Latin abbreviation giving it another function, an astronomical one. What makes me suspect is that he uses it precisaly with the word radix to mark the begining of a period of time. And the gallows are almost always in the begining of paragraphs in the VM. As you all know, I believe that the paragraphs of the VM are nothing more than periods of time used to identify stars.

For that reason I asked if anyone can show me the abbreviation of radix,the R with Eva-k, in a botany book. I'm searching in manuscripts but I haven't found anything yet. If I found it I could discard this linea of investigation and consider it a false clue.

RE: No text, but a visual code - -JKP- - 24-07-2019

Botany wasn't really a science yet, in the 15th century.

But there was quite a bit of interest in pharmacy (which was based on plants, in those days).

In books of herbs and books of medicinal recipes, the word radix (Rx) occurs frequently, but is often written out or abbreviated in more than one way.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 24-07-2019

Ok. Show me examples and you will make me happy!

RE: No text, but a visual code - Helmut Winkler - 25-07-2019

In books of herbs and books of medicinal recipes, the word radix (Rx) occurs frequently, but is often written out or abbreviated in more than one way.
[/quote]

Sure, but it means Recipe, not Radix

RE: No text, but a visual code - nablator - 25-07-2019

(25-07-2019, 07:49 AM)Helmut Winkler Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Sure, but it means Recipe, not Radix
Radix is written radix. Big Grin

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 27-07-2019

This is another codex of astronomical tables. In the page 8 there are numerous examples of the abbreviation of radix with the R and the glyph identical to Eva-k

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

The surprising thing in this case is the evolution of the R. In some examples the tail of the top of the R seems to close and form a loop. The loop is rounded but there are some more pointed.

The abbreviation of radix has become or can become an Eva-t

RE: No text, but a visual code - Monica Yokubinas - 27-07-2019

(27-07-2019, 03:19 PM)Antonio García Jiménez Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.This is another codex of astronomical tables. In the page 8 there are numerous examples of the abbreviation of radix with the R and the glyph identical to Eva-k

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

The surprising thing in this case is the evolution of the R. In some examples the tail of the top of the R seems to close and form a loop. The loop is rounded but there are some more pointed.

The abbreviation of radix has become or can become an Eva-t

Here is what I believe is the Rx symbol in the Voynich Manuscript. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
The  Alef and the Resh-Gimel blend symbol, all together make up the Hebrew word ‘Arag’ for weaver or to spin. This word is used multiple times in the VM to create something of importance, and done separately, as individual letters when no prescription is present in the text.
Key words for understanding in Hebrew would be ‘Aras’ for poison, ‘arsn’ for arsenic (also used multiple times in the VM.
The Hebrew word for proper prescription is ‘Arshom’ but usually used as ‘Meersham’
The word in front of these is chicory. Remember the Alef He combination in the beginning or middle of a word creates an Ain sound, there for Ain vav lamed semekh/shin for ‘Aolsh’ meaning chicory.
And just for fun, second pic, the bottom word next to the big root is student. Chazh for watch and bubh for puppet,

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 29-07-2019

I forgot to say something about this link   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

If you look at the first two columns, down in red you can see twice, in the same sentence, the right leg of Eva-k

The phrase says in Latin: radices medii motus capitis (roots of the middle movement of the head). It is caput draconis.

You can see Eva-k as abbreviation in radices and capitis. Does it do the same function in both? I don't think so.

The glyph is the same for radix and radices, which suggests that it does not have a grammatical function.

In capitis, as in veneris in the second column, also down in red, the glyph does have the grammatical function of the Latin genitive. It is an linguistic abbreviation.

All this makes me suspect that in radix or radices the glyph works as an iconic meridian symbol

RE: No text, but a visual code - -JKP- - 30-07-2019

(29-07-2019, 04:14 PM)Antonio García Jiménez Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....

You can see Eva-k as abbreviation in radices and capitis. Does it do the same function in both? I don't think so.

The glyph is the same for radix and radices, which suggests that it does not have a grammatical function....

The abbreviation is based on sound. It's the "-is" abbreviation, and it can stand for anything that sounds somewhat like "is", which means it can stand for "-ix" or "-is" or sometimes "-es". It can also be used for "-em" as in "Item" (very common).

As long as it's close and it's clear by context, it can be used. Most Latin abbreviation symbols are like that.